- Volume 28 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Research trend of Korean costume design - Focusing on Journal of the Korean Society of Costume and Journal of Korean Traditional Costume -
한국복식 디자인의 연구동향에 관한 고찰 - <복식>과 <한복문화> 학술지를 중심으로 -
- Han, Minjae (Human-Tech Convergence Program, Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Younhee (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Hanyang University)
- 한민재 (한양대학교 의류학과 휴먼테크융합전공) ;
- 이연희 (한양대학교 의류학과)
- Received : 2020.05.10
- Accepted : 2020.07.16
- Published : 2020.10.31
A lot of work has been done on the topic of Korean traditional costume. In spite of the amount of the work, however, not much work has appeared that summarizes the overall research trend in such a way that we gain insights into the future direction of the Korean traditional costume field. This study aims to work out an analysis of the research trend that may shed light on the current status of the field and also on the things that have to be done to further develop the Korean costume design field. The analysis reported in this work is based on the articles that appeared in two journals: Journal of the Korean Society of Costume published by the Korean Society of Costume (2,661 articles from the year 1977 to 2019) and Journal of Korean Traditional Costume published by the Society of Korean Traditional Costume (762 articles from the year 1998 to 2019). The result of the analysis shows that only a very small amount of work is devoted to actual designing of Korean traditional costume, and this has to change to globalize Korean traditional fashion and draw worldwide attention to it. So more work is needed particularly on actual designing of Korean traditional costume. This does not mean that we simply have to maintain tradition and replicate the original designs, but we have to endeavor to work out novel designs by, for instance, creative destruction and restructuring, maintaining the essence of the tradition of Korean costume.
- Ahn, J.-W., & Hong, N.-Y. (2017). A study on tohwan. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 67(5), 61-74. doi:10.7233/jksc.2017.67.5.061 https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2017.67.5.061
- An, M. S. (2007). Study on the conservation and restoration of excavated costume. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 57(3), 14-22.
- Chang, M.-J. (2018). A study on formative characteristics of Korean traditional costumes from the viewpoint of oriental aesthetics in Joseon dynasty. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 21(2), 17-34. doi:10.16885/jktc.2018.6.21.2.17 https://doi.org/10.16885/jktc.2018.6.21.2.17
- Cho, W. H., & Kim, M. Y. (2010). Research on consumer recognition of Korean traditional costume, hanbok. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 60(2), 130-143.
- Choi, I.-S., & Kim, E.-J. (2016). A study on the production a norigae using motive ornaments in music instruments of the early Joseon dynasty. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 19(1), 43-55. doi:10.16885/jktc.2016.02.19.1.43 https://doi.org/10.16885/jktc.2016.02.19.1.43
- Choi, I.-S., & Kim, E.-J. (2019). Development of tshirt textile design by motifs of traditional jogakbo and hangeul. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 22(1), 17-27. doi:10.16885/jktc.2019.03.22.1.17 https://doi.org/10.16885/jktc.2019.03.22.1.17
- Chun, H.-S., & Kim, E.-H. (2019). Traditional Korean hand and nail beautification culture. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 22(1), 29-45. doi:10.16885/jktc.2019.03.22.1.29 https://doi.org/10.16885/jktc.2019.03.22.1.29
- Hwang, E.-S. (2009). Modification of hanbok design appearing in art works of designer Lee RheeZa. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 12(2), 43-60.
- Jung, S.-E., & Lee, S.-Y. (2018). A study on the color features of female hanbok in modern times. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 21(3), 23-36. doi:10.16885/jktc.2018.9.21.3.23 https://doi.org/10.16885/jktc.2018.9.21.3.23
- Kim, E. Y. (2017, February 27). 기모노 기죽인 '한복의 미' ... 외국인 손끝에서 재탄생한 한복 [The beauty of hanbok: Hanbok reborn from the finger tips of foreigners]. Chosun Biz, Retrieved May 10, 2020, from https://m.post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=6633143&memberNo=28162671
- Kim, E. Y. (2019, January 18). 루이비통 패션쇼에 태극기가 등장했다 [The Korean flag Taegeukgi appeared on the Louis Vuitton fashion show]. Chosun Ilbo, Retrieved May 10, 2020, from http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2019/01/18/2019011800418.html
- Kim, H.-J., & Chang, M.-J. (2015). A study of pattern analysis in the books entitled hanbok construction - Focusing on the womens jeogori. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 18(2), 95-109. doi:10.16885/jktc.2015.6.18.2.95
- Kim, J. A., & Lee, E.-J. (2013). A study on the current state analysis of the traditional clothing industry. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 16(1), 179-193. doi:10.16885/jktc.2013.04.16.1.179
- Kim, K. H. (2017). Study on Korea costume research trends in domestic - Focused on journal publications from 2005 through 2015. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 20(1), 5-16. doi:10.16885/jktc.2017.03.20.1.5
- Kim, M. J. (2016, January). Fashion designer 김영진 [Fashion designer Kim youngjin]. Design House, Retrieved May 10, 2020, from http://mdesign.designhouse.co.kr/article/article_view/103/72730
- Kim, M. J., & Kim, S.-Y. (2019). A study on the design of saenghwal hanbok for infants and toddlers using Hubaekje roof-tile patterns. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 69(1), 91-108. doi:10.7233/jksc.2019.69.1.091
- Kim, S. A., & Choi, K. S. (2011). A study on the formation of bangryeong in the Joseon dynasty. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 61(7), 17-34.
- Kim, S. Y. (2019, July 19). BTS가 입은 이 한복, 없어서 못팔아요 [Hanbok worn by BTS, selling like hot dogs]. Chosun Ilbo, Retrieved May 10, 2020, from http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2019/07/19/2019071900054.html
- Kim, T. W. (2018, February 20). 해외 디자이너들의 '한글 사랑'이 계속되고 있다 [Foreign designers' love of hangeul continues]. HUFFPOST, Retrieved May 10, 2020, from https://www.huffingtonpost.kr/entry/gotgam_kr_5a8bcb06e4b0117adf7155b1
- Kim, Y. J. (2007). A study on the study status of hanbok cultural society examined through scientific journals. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 10(3), 131-137.
- Kim, Y. K., Kim, J. M., & Hong, N. Y. (2013). A study on the mannequins for the display of hanbok. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 63(6), 113-126. doi:10.7233/jksc.2013.63.6.113 https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2013.63.6.113
- Kim, Y. R. (2019, December 4). '한국기모노'에 통곡하던 故이영희 한복, 佛기메박물관 기증(종합) [Lee Young-hee's hanboks donated to the Guimet Museum, France]. Yonhap News, Retrieved May 10, 2020, from https://www.yna.co.kr/view/AKR20191203167651081?input=1195m
- Lee, A.-R., & Chun, H.-S. (2012). A study on Korean traditional incense described in the geology section of ‘True records of King Sejong’. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 15(3), 67-83.
- Lee, B.-H., & Lee, C.-W. (2016). The development of program of practical education of hanbok culture: Focus on life-ceremonial clothes. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 19(4), 77-91. doi:10.16885/jktc.2016.12.19.4.77 https://doi.org/10.16885/jktc.2016.12.19.4.77
- Lee, E. J. (2008). Royal ladies’ hair styles of Joseon dynasty in the 19th century. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 58(3), 19-33.
- Lee, E.-J., Kim, Y.-S., & Kim, M.-G. (2018). Historical study on the official costume of the Ungjin Baekje 5-kings memorial service. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 21(4), 157-175. doi:10.16885/jktc.2018.12.21.4.157 https://doi.org/10.16885/jktc.2018.12.21.4.157
- Lee, J.-E., & Kwon, Y.-S. (2013). A study on the jeogori pattern for early elementary school girls. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 16(3), 31-48. doi:10.16885/jktc.2013.12.16.3.31
- Lee, J.-Y. (2018). A study on the applications and appearance of jeongja-gwan in the late Joseon period. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 68(5), 179-192. doi:10.7233/jksc.2018.68.5.179 https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2018.68.5.179
- Lee, M. J., Lee, J. S., & Lee, K. M. (2018). A content analysis of Maeil Shinbo editorials on clothing culture in the 1910s. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 68(7), 119-136. doi:10.7233/jksc.2018.68.7.119 https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2018.68.7.119
- Lee, M.-S., & Chung, K.-H. (2019). An exploratory study for building an online platform for mass customization hanbok design. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 22(1), 101-119. doi:10.16885/jktc.2019.03.22.1.101 https://doi.org/10.16885/jktc.2019.03.22.1.101
- Lim, S. Y. (2015, May 7). 샤넬 2015-16 크루즈 컬렉션 '한복'에 대한 '라거펠트'의 풀이 [Lagerfeld on Chanel 2015-16 cruise 'hanbok' collection]. Maeil Business Newspaper, Retrieved May 10, 2020 from https://www.mk.co.kr/news/culture/view/2015/05/433821/
- Park, G.-Y. (2013). The analysis of utilization and problems of Korean ancient armor as cultural contents. Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 16(2), 153-165. doi:10.16885/jktc.2013.08.16.2.153
- Park, K. H. (2015, October 22). 패션이 된 한글 [Hangeul becomes fashion]. Chosun Ilbo, Retrieved May 10, 2020, from https://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/09/17/2015091701970.html
- Park, K. S. (2013, January). 한복의 재발견, 어울림 [Rediscovery of hanbok, eoullim]. Design House, Retrieved May 10, 2020, from http://happy.designhouse.co.kr/magazine/magazine_view?info_id=61754
- Park, S. M. (2019). An observation on Kyung-Ja Choi, first generation Korean fashion designer - Focus on the activities from 1950s to 1970s through the analysis of the media. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 69(3), 119-140. doi:10.7233/jksc.2019.69.3.119 https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2019.69.3.119
- Sim, Y. O. (2019). A study on textiles from the wooden bodhisattva statue built in 1502 at Gwaneumsa temple. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 69(2), 74-89. doi:10.7233/jksc.2019.69.2.074 https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2019.69.2.074
- Song, M. K. (2017). The excavated costume of tomb for Seonseonggun(宣城君) Lee Heum(李欽, 1522-1562). Journal of Korean Traditional Costume, 20(4), 83-96. doi:10.16885/jktc.2017.12.20.4.83 https://doi.org/10.16885/jktc.2017.12.20.4.83
- Wang, J. H. (2011, June 12). The traditional hanbok in the modern world. Epoch Times, Retrieved May 10, 2020, from https://www.theepochtimes.com/the-traditional-hanbok-in-the-modern-world_1497109.html
- Yang, C. E., & Ryu, S. O. (2000). A study on the present condition of reformed Korean traditional clothing and a scheme for high quality. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 50(3), 145-159.