- Volume 28 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Body-shape characteristics and body types of plus-size men in their 30s and 40s based on Korean anthropometric data
사이즈 코리아 인체 측정 자료에 근거한 30~40대 플러스 사이즈 남성의 체형 특성 및 체형
- Lee, Hana (Dept. of Fashion Design & Merchandising, Korea University)
- 이하나 (고려대학교 패션디자인 및 머천다이징 융합전공)
- Received : 2020.09.22
- Accepted : 2020.10.20
- Published : 2020.10.31
This study utilized data to classify and characterize the body types of plus-size adult men aged in their 30s and 40s. Diversity is an important factor in the era of inclusive design, and discussion about size diversity to include the plus size should be accommodated. Data from 493 adult men classified as obese (with a World Health Organization criterion ≥25 BMI) were used for the analysis. The results of the study are as follows. Six independent factors were extracted using factor analysis for cluster analysis, which were then classified into five types. Type 1 (29.01%) was identified as body type I with the smallest degree of obesity. Type 2 (15.4%) was identified as body type Y with wide shoulders and a thin waist. Type 3 (14.2%) was the largest body volume (body type O), while the fourth (19.27%) identified as body type H has a large height and upper body. Lastly, type 5 (22.11%) has a long lower body and a slim abdomen, referred to as body type X. This study presents a basis for the development of various clothing sizes utilizing the body shape characteristics of plus-size men in their 30s and 40s. Follow-up research is needed to develop patterns for plus size men and to design various products.
- Bellafante, G. (2010, July 28). Plus-size war. The New York Times Magazine, Retrieved September 2, 2020, from https://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/magazine/01plussize-t.html?searchResultPosition=2
- Choi, M. Y. (2018). Consumer survey on the marketability of young plus-size clothes in the USA. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 26(3), 313-326. doi:10.29049/rjcc.2018.26.3.313 https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2018.26.3.313
- Choi, M. Y., & Lee, J. (2016). A study on the mediating effect of obesity stress in the relationship between narcissism and clothing behavior related appearance by plus size consumers. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 40(4), 615-630. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2016.40.4.615 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2016.40.4.615
- Ha, H. J. (2009). An analysis of the fitting of plus-sized women’s formal jackets in on-line shopping malls. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 17(2), 203-215. doi:10.29049/rjcc.2009.17.2.203 https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2009.17.2.203
- Ha, H. J., & Kim, A. R. (2003). A study on the physical characteristics of plus-sized women, by age. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 11(1), 153-164.
- Jun, S.-H. (2006). The effect of obesity and physical satisfaction on self-esteem. Korean Journal of Sport Psychology, 17(3), 75-89.
- Kim, M. K. (2013, November 2). 30여년 새 비만인구 2배...지구촌 '살과의 전쟁' [Over 30 years the new obese population doubled...Global village 'war on flesh']. Seoul Newspaper, Retrieved September 2, 2020, from https://www.seoul.co.kr/news/newsView.php?id=20131102001013
- Kim, N., & Do, W. (2020). A study on the foot characteristics for the development of the last footwear for plus size women. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 22(3), 378-385. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2020.22.3.378 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2020.22.3.378
- Kim, S. A. (2020). Concept development of inclusive design using design thinking. Bulletin of Korean Society of Basic Design & Art, 21(3), 53-64.
- Kim, T. S. (2015). Characteristics of inclusive design and its meaning in the future society. Archives of Design Research, 28(2), 137-151. doi:10.15187/adr.2015.05.28.2.137 https://doi.org/10.15187/adr.2015.05.28.2.137
- Korean Agency for Technology and Standards. (2015). The 7th size Korea. Size Korea, Retrieved August 15, 2020, from http://sizekorea.kats.go.kr
- Korea Health Promotion Institute. (2018). The 4th health plan 2020: Trend report 2018. Seoul: Author.
- Lee, B. N. (2012). A study on slacks pattern based on lower body type of obese men's. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, J. H., Jun, J. I., & Choi, K. M. (2013). Characteristics and classification of body type of adult men in their forties for automated pattern design. Journal of Korea Design Forum, 39, 325-336. doi:10.21326/ksdt.2013.39.029
- Lee, S. J. (2013). Classification of obese male's body types and development of torso pattern. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lim, J. Y. (2009). Transactions: A development of size system for the abdomen-obese adult males according to the lower-body obesity-type analysis. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 11(6), 904-910.
- Nam, J. Y., Park, S. J., & Jnug, E. S. (2007). Categorization of the body types and their characteristics of obese Korean men. Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, 26(4), 103-111. doi:10.5143/JESK.2007.26.4.103
- National Health Insurance Service. (2018). 2018 obesity white paper. Wonju, Gangwon-do: Author.
- Park, A.-J. (2017). A study on knit wear fit of plus size women: Based on knit gauge and ply yarn. The Journal of the Korean Society of Knit Design 15(2), 109-117. doi:10.35226/kskd.2017.15.2.109
- Ryu, J.-Y., Syn, H.-Y., Im, J. Y., & Lee, I. (2016). The analysis of fashion styles from global plus-size woman’s power blog-focused on analysis of USA market. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 40(5), 830-843. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2016.40.5.830 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2016.40.5.830
- Ryu, J.-Y., Syn, H.-Y., & Lee, I. (2014). A study on the comparing about young plus size fashion design application on plus size body type using 3D virtual garment simulation: Focusing on USA market. Journal of the Korea Fashion & Costume Design Association, 16(3), 163-178.
- Ryu, Y. S., & Oh, S. (2017). Classification of Korean elderly men’s body types: Focused on aged 70 to 85. Journal of Korea Design Forum, (55), 63-74. doi:10.21326/ksdt.2017.55.005
- Seong, O. J., & Ha, H. J. (2012). A study of middle aged obese men’s body shapes: 35-55 years of age. Korean Society of Design Trend, (35), 39-50. doi:10.21326/ksdt.2012..35.004
- Shin, S., & Do, W. (2019). Body shape classification of the lower body of obese men in their 30’s and 40’s for slacks pattern development. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 21(3), 308-317. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2019.21.3.308 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2019.21.3.308
- Stamp, N. (2019, June 12). Berating Nike for plus-size mannequins is no war on obesity - It's just war on bigger bodies. The Guardian, Retrieved September 2, 2020, from https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/12/berating-nike-for-plussize-mannequins-is-no-war-on-obesity-its-just-waron-bigger-bodies
- Swami, V., & Tovee, M. J. (2009). Big beautiful women:The body size preferences male fat admires. Journal of Sex Research, 46(1), 89-96. doi:10.1080/00224490802645302 https://doi.org/10.1080/00224490802645302
- Syn, H., & Lee, I. (2014). Study on development of body types by type of young plus size ladieswear to push into the American market. Bulletin of Korean Society of Basic Design & Art, 15(4), 243-250.
- Woo, J. Y. (2017, January 1). XXL 사이즈를 입는 모델들의 전성기 [The heyday of models wearing XXL size]. Vogue Korea, Retrieved September 2, 2020, from http://www.vogue.co.kr/2017/01/04/xl%ec%82%ac%ec%9d%b4%ec%a6%88%eb%a5%bc-%ec%9e%85%eb%8a%94-%eb%aa%a8%eb%8d%b8%eb%93%a4%ec%9d%98-%ec%a0%84%ec%84%b1%ea%b8%b0/
- Yi, K. H. (2010). A comparative study on obesity judgment criteria in the frequently used obesity indices. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 18(1), 93-108. doi:10.29049/rjcc.2010.18.1.93 https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2010.18.1.93
- Yoh, E. (2019). A comparison of demographic and socio-psychological characteristics of obese males according to degree of obesity. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 27(2), 123-139. doi:10.29049/rjcc.2019.27.2.123 https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2019.27.2.123
- Yoo, H. W. (2019, February 28). 남성 비만 환자 증가...지방 축적 상태, 체질 고려한 치료법 적용해야 [Increase in male obese patients...Need to apply treatments considering fat accumulation statusand physical constitution]. NewsPoint, Retrieved September 2, 2020, from http://www.pointn.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=4674
- Yoon, J.-W., & Suh, M.-A. (2011). Apparel sizing system for obese men in there 20s. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 19(3), 449-459. doi:10.29049/rjcc.2011.19.3.449 https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2011.19.3.449