- Volume 28 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A study of multicolored clamp resist dyeing techniques using a wooden printing-block exchange method
목판 교환 방법을 활용한 다색 협힐 제작기법에 관한 연구
- Lee, Jungeun (Cultural Heritage Preservation Research Institute, Pusan National University) ;
- Sugano, Kenichi (Dept. of Craft, Tokyo University of Fine Arts and Music)
- 이정은 (부산대학교 문화유산보존연구소) ;
- 스가노켄이치 (동경예술대학 공예과)
- Received : 2020.09.17
- Accepted : 2020.10.11
- Published : 2020.10.31
The aim of this study is to define the new expressive techniques for multicolored clamp resist (hyuphill) dyeing, based on empirical verification on relics that are estimated to be dyed by the exchange of more than two wood blocks: a previously undiscovered technique. Clamp resist dyeing (assumed to be made by exchanging wood blocks) have uneven resist printing lines or cloudy gradation. These are reproduced as follows: first, they have uneven contour lines, particularly with the color blue. It is possible to exchange wood blocks separately on patterns with uneven resist printing lines, and it has been verified that the exchange of wood blocks makes these irregular resist printing lines. It has also been verified that exchanging the wood blocks according to the gradation (to emphasize the cubic effect on the patterns) yields clamp resist dyeing with no resist printing lines but with cloudy gradations that have accented borders. This study provides basic information that enables methods of multicolored clamp resist dyeing through wood block exchange to be deduced (something that has not been attempted for a long time). Thus, the revival of the modern Korean dyeing culture based on the conservation and perseverance of the traditional dyeing techniques can be achieved.
- Alfred, B. (1972). Ikat Batik plangi 3 volumes complete. Basel: Pharos.
- Choi, J. I., & Sim, Y. O. (2019). Reproduction of the dyeing technique used for the small flower pattern clamp resist dyed fine tabby in Amitabha of 1302. Korean Journal of Cultural Heritage Studies, 52(2), 254-267. doi:10.22755/kjchs.2019.52.2.254.
- Gao, C. (1966). 事物紀原 [Origin of things]. Hongkong:The Commercial Press.
- Hansung, E. (2007). 夾纈-中国土布系列 [Clamp resist dyeing-chinese cloth series]. Beijing: Peking University Press.
- Heo, H. S., Nam, K. H., Kim, Y. S., & Kwon, S, J. (1999). 高麗의 佛腹藏과 染織: 1302年 織造環境과 織物의 特性 [Bulbokjang and textiles of the Goryeo:The manufacturing environment and characteristics of fabric in 1302]. Seoul: Publishing Company Kyemongsa.
- Korean Database. (1999). 삼국사기 [Samguksagi]. KR pia, Retrieved August 17, 2020, from http://www.krpia.co.kr/product/main?plctId=PLCT00004486#none
- Lee, J. E. (2018, 10). A study on the recreating method of ancient clamp-resist dyeing. Paper presented at the meeting of the International Conference on Emerging Asia Studies, Busan, Korea. 20-25.
- Lee, J. E. (2020). Research on recreating the method of multicolored clamp resist dyeing - Focus on Japanese Shosoin clamp resist dyeing. Journal of Korea Society of Color Studies, 34(3), 31-43. doi:10.17289/jkscs.34.3.20208.31. https://doi.org/10.17289/jkscs.34.3.202008.31
- Ma, G. (1956). 古今注 [Notes to things old and new]. Hongkong: The Commercial Press.
- Matsuda, K. (2001). 古代資財帳集成 [Collection of ancient financial books]. Tokyo: Suzusawa Bookstore.
- Matsumoto, K. (1982). 正倉院ぎれ [Shoso-in textiles]. Tokyo: Gakusha.
- Matsumoto, K. (1984). Jodai-gire: 7th and 8th century textiles in Japan from the Shoso-in and Horyu-ji. Kyoto: Art Books Shikosha Publishing.
- Nagasawa, K., & Yokohari, K. (2001). 絹の道シルクロード染織史 [History of silk road dyeing and weaving]. Tokyo: Kodansha.
- Nishimura, H. (1973). 中国の染織 [Dyeing and weaving in China]. Kyoto: Unsodo Corporation.
- Ohasi, K. (2000). 敦煌 [Dunhuang]. Tyoko: Kawade Shobo Shinsha.
- Sekio, S. (1998). 西域文書からみた中国史 [Chinese history as seen from western documents]. Tokyo: Yamakawa Shuppansha.
- Shimane Museum of Ancient Izumo. (2008). よみがえる幻の染色: 出雲藍板締めの世界とその系譜 [Reviving the phantom dyeing: The world of Izumo Ai-Itajime and its genealogy]. Shimane: Havest publishing.
- Shosoin Office. (2001). 正倉院宝物 染織下 [Treasure dyeing and weaving of Shosoin the second part]. Osaka: Asahi Shimbun Company.
- Kim, J. H. (2004). The study of Samhil patterns using natural dyes. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Daegu University, Daegu, Korea.
- Kim, S. Y. (2018, November, 27). 28일부터 12월7일 까지 자연염색박물관 2018년 대구시 박물관 지원기획전 [From 28 to December 7 natural dyeing museum 2018 daegu city museum support]. Yeong nam Ilbo, Retrieved September 28, 2020, from https://www.yeongnam.com/web/view.php?key=20181127.990011648174676
- Takahashi, S., & Tsujimura, J. (1979). 夾纈の技術的考察第2報 [Technical review of clamp resist dyeing 2nd edition]. Bulletin of Kacho College, 24, 1-10.
- Tokuda, G. (1991). 上代夾纈染めの復元 [Restoration of ancient clamp resist dyeing]. History of Dyeing and Life, 118, 48-53.
- Yao, R. N. (1983). 安禄山事蹟 [The story of An Lushan]. Shanghai: Shanghai Classics Publishing House.
- Yoneda, Y. (2013). On the folding screen panels mentioned in the list of rare treasures of the state. Bulletin of Office of the Shosoin Treasure House, 2013(35), 117-140.
- Yoshimatsu, S. (1977). 奈良朝夾纈の復元 [Restoration of Nara period clamp resist dyeing]. Dress Culture, 156, 88-94.
- Yoshioka, T. (1994). シルクロードの染織と技法 [Silk-road dyeing and techniques]. Separate Book Sun Heart of Japan, 85, 90-91.
- Wang, P. (1978). 唐語林 [Tang yu lin]. Shanghai: Shanghai old book publisher.
- Zhao, F. (2007). Textiles from Dunhuang in UK collections. Shanghai: Donghua University Press.