- Volume 21 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Development and effect of Simulation-based Educational Program for Communication to Prevent Patients from Safety Accident by Nurses working in the Public Medical Institutions
공공의료기관 간호사의 환자안전사고 대처를 위한 시뮬레이션 기반 의사소통 교육프로그램 개발 및 효과
- Mok, Seung Hyun (Graduate School of Health and Nursing, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Kim, Sung Hee (Red Cross College of Nursing, Chung-Ang University)
- 목승현 (중앙대학교 건강간호대학원) ;
- 김성희 (중앙대학교 적십자간호대학)
- Received : 2020.07.01
- Accepted : 2020.10.05
- Published : 2020.10.31
This study focused on the development of a simulation-based educational program for communication, targeted to prevent safety accidents of patients. Application of the program to nurses working in public medical institutions was assessed to identify the effects of the program in terms of communication skill, self-efficacy, critical thinking disposition, and problem solving ability of nurses, before and after completion of the education. Method: A total of 32 nurses, working in hospitals designated as public medical institutions, were selected as subject participants in the present study. Data were collected during the period August 19 to 20, 2019, and analyzed by SPSS 23.0. Results: Results obtained from the present study reveals significant efficacy of the educational program, in respect of improved communication skill, self-efficacy, and problem-solving ability. On completion of the educational program, we observed an increase in the critical thinking disposition of nurses, although it was statistically insignificant. Conclusions: We believe that the educational program developed in the present study can be exploited as a foundation for developing other programs intending to improve the communication skill of nurses employed in clinics of public medical institutions, targeted to prevent occurrence of safety accidents of patients.
- World Health orgnization, "Patient Safety", Available From: www.who.int/patientsafety/en (accessed June 23. 2020).
- Korea Patient Safety reporting&learning system, "Statistical Yearbook of Patient Safety 2018", Available From: https://www.kops.or.kr/portal/main.do (accessed June 23. 2020).
- National Patient Safety Agency. "Seven steps to patient safety: An overview guide for NHS staff", Available From: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/documents/Sevenstepsoverview.pdf (accessed June 23. 2020).
- J. H. Lee, "Patient safety and healthcare standard", Journal of the Korean Medical Association, Vol.54, No.5, pp.444-446, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2011.54.5.444
- E. K. Kim, Y. M. Kim, S. H. Park, Y. K. Choi, J. H. Hwang, "The Latest medical quality management theory(written directly by experts)", Koonja, 2014.
- Korea Institute for Healthcare Accreditation, Accreditation criteria for 3rd cycle acute hospital 2018, Available From: https://www.koiha.or.kr/member/kr/board/establish/establish_BoardList.do (accessedJune 23. 2020).
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. "National Healthcare Quality Report", Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, pp.2635-2645, 2010.
- The Joint Commission, "The Joint Commission releases Improving America's hospitals: The Joint Commission's annual report on quality and safety 2007", Joint Commission Perspectives, Joint Commission On Accreditation Of Healthcare Organizations, Vol.27, No.12, pp.1, 2007.
- M. Y. Han, M. S. Jung,"Effect of Hospital Nurses's Perceptions of Organizationl Health and Patient Safety Culture on Patient Safety Nursing Activities", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol.23, No.2, pp.127-138, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.2.127 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.2.127
- M. K. Song, S. Y. Park, "The Effect of Teamwork of Nurses Job Satisfaction, Communication Competence and Social Problem Solving Abilty", Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Servies Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, Vol.8, No.10, pp.735-744, 2018. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.21742/AJMAHS.2018.10.23
- M. K. Seo, "A Study on Class Design of Clinical Critical Thinking: Focusing on Critical Thinking Skills for Nursing Education", The Korea Journal of General Education, Vol.7, No.5, pp.317-341, 2013.
- Y. H. Shin, S. Lee, H. S. Moon, D. Y. Jung, H. S. Lee, "Effects of Satir"s model Based Communication Education on Communication Competence, Emotional Intelligence and Depression-happiness of Regional Public Hospital Nurses", Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol.32, No.1, pp.122-134, 2018. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2018.32.1.122 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2018.32.1.122
- D. S. Ahn, Y. M. Lee, T. H. Lee, H. S. Kim, C. H. Han, J. M. Kim, B. C. Yun, J. J. Ryu, S. Kim, K. H. Park, Y. H. Lee, H. J. Kwon, "A Study on the Evaluation of Repair Education in Medical Field", Korea Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2013.
- J. H. Lee, S. S. Kim, K. S. Yeo, S. J. Cho, H. L. Kim, "Experiences among Undergraduate Nursing Students on High-fidelity Simulation Education: A Focus Group Study", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.15, No.2, pp.183-193, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.2.183
- Fisher, D., & King, L.,"An integrative literature review on preparing nursing students through simulation to recognize and respond to the deteriorating patient", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol.69, No.11, pp.2375-2388. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.12174
- E. J. Kim, K. R. Lee, "Relationship between Non-technical Skills and Resuscitation Performance of Nurses' Team in in-situ Simulated Cardiac Arrest.", Korean Journl of Adult Nursing, Vol.27, No.2, pp. 146-155, 2015. https://kjan.or.kr/DOIx.php?id=10.7475/kjan.2015.27. 2.146 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.2.146
- H. S. Jung, S. H. Kim, "The Development and Effect of the Patient Safety Education Program Using Simulated situation", Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.20, No.12, pp.398-409, 2019. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2019.20.12.398
- C. Leshin,, J. Pollock, C. Reigeluth. Instructional Design: Strategies and Tactics for Improving Learning and Performance. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Educational Technology, 1992.
- H. M. Yang, S. Y. Hwang, "Reliability and Validity of the Assessment Tool for Measuring Communication Skills in Nursing Simulation Education", Korean Journl of Adult Nursing, Vol.28, No.1, pp.95-105, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.1.95 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.1.95
- H. J. Park, "Counseling Self-Efficacy and Empathic Ability of the Psychiatric Nurses", Master's thesis, Graduated shool of nursing at Ewha womans university, Seoul, pp. 1-71, 2012.
- J. Yoon, "A Study on the Critical Thinking Disposition of Nursing Students -Focusing on a School Applying Integrated Nursing Curriculum-", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Administry, Vol.14, No.2, pp,159-166, 2008.
- W. S. Lee, S. H. Park, E. Y. Choi, "Development of a Korean Problem Solving Process Inventory for Adults", Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.15, No.4, pp.548-557, 2008.
- A. R. Kim, "A Study on Learning Outcome Perceived by Adult Learners in University Continuing Education Institutions", Journal of Korean Society for the Study of Lifelong Education, Vol.10, No.2, pp.129-165, 2004.
- E. J. Jeon, K. J. Lee, "A Study on Choice Motives and Job Satisfaction about Nurses who Changed Jobs to Public Hospitals", The Korea Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.26, No.1, pp.55-64, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2017.26.1.55 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2017.26.1.55
- H. K. Lee, "The Effect of Organizational Commitment and Perceived Patient Safety Culture on Patient Safety Nursing Activities in Public Hospital Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy Society of Home Health Care Nursing, Vol.26, No.2, pp.145-154, 2019. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.22705/jkashcn.2019.26.2.145
- H. M. Koo, "On the Reporting and Learning System for Patient Safety Events", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, Vol.240, No.0, pp.46-59, 2016.
- Ammouri, A. A., Tailakh, A. K., Muliira, J. K., Geethakrishnan, R., & AlKindi, S. N., "Patient safety culture among nurses", Internal International Nursing Review, Vol.62, No.1, pp.102-110, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1111/inr.12159
- H. M. Son, K. M. Sung, "The Mediating Effects of Self-efficacy in the Relationship between Communicative Competence within the Medical team and Turnover Intention in Hospital Nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.18, No.12, pp.300-309, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.12.300 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.12.300
- M. A. Cho, "Development and the effects of a simulation-based education program on new nurses' communication competence", Master's thesis, Graduate School of Nursing and Health Professions, Seoul, 2018.
- Banerjee, S. C., Manna, R., Coyle, N., Penn, S., Gallegos, T. E., Zaider, T., Krueger, C. A., Bialer, P. A., Bylund, C. L., Parker, P. A., "The implementation and evaluation of a communication skills training program for oncology nurses", Translational Behavioral Medicine, Vol.7,No.3, pp.615-623, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13142-017-0473-5
- E. A. Ji, "Development and Evaluation of Extremely Low Birth Weight Infant Nursing Simulation Education Program for Nurses in Neonatal Intensive Care Unit", Master's thesis, Gachon University Graduated School of nursing, Kyungki, 2019.
- S. K. Jung, "Critical Thinking Disposition, Problem Solving Ability, and Clinical Competence in Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.18, No.1, pp.71-78, 2011.
- Y. H. Lee, H. Y. Ahn, "The Effects of Simulation Education for New Nurses on Emergency Management Using Low-fidelity Simulator", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.25, No.3, pp.331-343, 2019. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2019.25.3.331 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2019.25.3.331
- M. J. Kim, S. H. Kim, "Development and Effects a Simulation-based Emergency Airway Management Education Program for Nurses in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit", Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, Vol.25, No.4, pp.518-527, 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2019.25.4.518 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2019.25.4.518
- J. H. Ahn, J. Y. Kim, E. S. Hwang, "The effect of simulation-based education on critical thinking disposition, problem solving skills and nursing process confidence in college nursing students", Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Servies Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, Vol.9, No.7, pp.187-197, 2019. DOI: http://doi.org/10.35873/ajmahs.2019.9.7.017
- J. S. Yu, S. H. Hwang, Y. J. Choi, "Factors Influencing Problem Solving Ability among Dental Hygiene Students", The Korean Society of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol.13, No.4, pp.510-518, 2013.