- Volume 18 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Relationship among Matured Aging Attitude, Depression, and Successful Aging of Elderly Participating in Dance-Oriented Physical Activity: Focused on Line Dance and Rhythmic Gymnastics
댄스중심의 신체활동에 참여하는 노인들의 성숙한 노화태도와 우울 및 성공적 노화의 관계: 라인댄스와 리듬체조 참여자를 중심으로
- Shin, Seak-Hwan (Department of physical education in Konkuk University)
- 신석환 (건국대학교 체육교육과)
- Received : 2020.07.17
- Accepted : 2020.10.20
- Published : 2020.10.28
This study was conducted with 202 elderly people aged 65 years or older (40.6% male and 59.4% female) participating in physical activities centered on line dance and rhythmic gymnastics. To achieve the main objectives of the study, a questionnaire for mature aging attitude, depression and successful aging was used. The results are as follows. First, matured aging attitude influenced negatively on depression. Second, matured aging attitude influenced positively on successful aging. Third, depression influenced negatively on successful aging. Based on the above results, it is necessary to encourage the elderly to participate in physical activities to achieve successful aging through active interventions against depression.
- Statistics Korea(2018). 2018 elderly statistics.
- J. W. Rowe & R. L. Kahn. (1998). Successful aging. NY: Pantheon Press.
- S. Y. Han & S. N. Yun. (2015). Successful aging and the influencing factors in the Korean elderly: Focused on family support. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 26(4), 372-379. http://dx.doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2015.26.4.372 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2015.26.4.372
- L. Araujo, O. Ribeiro, L. Teixeira, & C. Paul. (2015). Successful aging at 100 years: The relevance of subjectivity and psychological resources. International Psychogeriatrics, 24, 1-10. DOI: 10.1017/S1041610215001167
- T. D. Cosco, A. M. Prina, J. Perales, B. C. Stephan, & C. Brayne. (2014). Operational definitions of successful aging: A systematic review. International Psychogeriatrics, 26(3), 373-381. DOI: 10.1017/S1041610213002287 https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610213002287
- S H. Hong & I. S. Kwak. (2011). The effects of attitude towards aging on successful aging: The differences between single and couple aged family. Family and Environment Research, 49(4), 77-91.
- E. A. Phelan, L. A. Anderson, A. Z. Larcroix, & E. B. Larson. (2004). Older adults' views of successful aging: How do they compare with researchers' definitions?. American Geriatrics Society, 52(2), 211-216. DOI: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2004.52056.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2004.52056.x
- J. S. An, Y. S. Chong, & S. G. Seo. (2013). The relationships among the matured aging attitude, successful aging, and psycho-social maturation: The examination of the matured aging. The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, 26(2), 127-147.
- Y. S. Chong & H. J. Lee. (2014). Relationships among mature aging, death attitude and death competency in the middle aged. The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, 27(2), 131-154.
- R. C. Mannell & S. Dupuis. (1996). Life satisfaction. In J. E. Dirren (ed.), Encydopedia of gerontology (pp. 59-64), NY: Academic Press.
- A. C. Michalos, P. M. Hatch, D. Hemingway, L. Lavallee, A. Hogan, & B. Christensen. (2007). Health and quality of life of older people: A replication after six years. Social Indicators Research, 84, 127-158. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-51161-0_8 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-006-9080-4
- J. W. Chon, & M. S. Park. (2006). A test of causal model for motivation for job performance, job satisfaction and psychological well-being of the elderly. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 26(3), 521-545.
- M. J. Choi. (2019). Successful aging through psychological experience of exercise and life skills. Doctoral Dissertation, Korea National Sport University.
- C. M. Heo & S. H. An. (2014). Relationship among subjective health, psychological well-being and successful aging of elderly participating in physical activity. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 53(6), 357-369.
- H. Litwin. (2005). Correlates of successful aging: Are they universal?. The International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 61(4), 313-333. DOI: 10.2190/DUGV-AQPU-PT28-B8D7 https://doi.org/10.2190/DUGV-AQPU-PT28-B8D7
- P. B. Baltes, & M. M. Baltes. (1990). Psychological perspectives on successful aging: The model of selective optimization with compensation. In P. B. Baltes & M. M. Baltes (eds.), Successful aging: Perspectives from the behavioral sciences (pp. 1-34), Cambridge University Press.
- J. S. An, J. Y. Jin, Y. S. Chong, S. G. Seo, & T. M. Cooney. (2012). Study of items selection for the development of matured aging measurement. Journal of Family Relations, 17(1), 129-149.
- Y. J. Jeong, N. Y. Yu, B. A. Kim, H. J. Shin, & Y. S. Chong. (2014). A meta-analysis on variables related with successful aging. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 34(4), 781-797.
- S. H. Park, S. R. Ma, & S. I. Lee. (2019). The effects of attitude toward aging and depression according to demographic characteristics in elderly welfare facility users. Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association, 13(2), 169-176. DOI : 10.21184/jkeia.2019.2.13.2.169
- S. K. Kahng. (2008). Overall successful aging: Its factorial structure and predictive factors. Asian Social Work and Policy Review, 2(1), 61-74. doi:10.1111/j.1753-1411.2008.00010.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-1411.2008.00010.x
- Y. S. Chong. (2011). Search for aging well in the Korean elderly woman: Moving toward matured aging. Korean Classical Woman Literature Studies, 23, 5-56. DOI : 10.17090/kcwls.2011..23.5 https://doi.org/10.17090/kcwls.2011..23.5
- M. K. Sim & J. M. Park. (2015). A comparative study on factors influencing successful aging between elders attending senior citizen clubs and elders not attending senior citizen clubs. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 17(3), 196-206. DOI : 10.17079/jkgn.2015.17.3.196 https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2015.17.3.196
- S. J. Han, J. S. Han, & Y. S. Moon. (2009). Factors influencing successful aging in elders. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, 21(4), 423-434.
- A. R. Cho & Y. S. Chong. (2012). The relationships among gratitude, matured aging and subjective well-being in Korean elderly. The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, 25(4), 67-87.
- R. C. Atchley. (1991). Social forces and aging: An introduction to social gerontology. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
- E. Chachamovich, M. P. Fleck, C. M. Trentini, K. Laidlaw, & M. J. Power. (2008). Health and quality of life. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 6(5), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-6-1
- J. H. Yoo. (2016). Effects of restriction of daily living activities on depression in the elderly: Testing for mediating effects of attitudes towards ageing. Journal of Social Science, 27(2), 3-20. https://doi.org/10.16881/jss.2016.04.27.2.3
- S. I. Kim, & H. O. Oh. (2016). Relationship among self-efficacy and ego integrity and successful aging of elderly participating in physical activity. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 55(6), 509-520.
- W. C. Zajko, A. Schwingel, A., & C. H. Park. (2009). Successful aging: The role of physical activity. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, 3, 20-28. https://doi.org/10.1177/1559827608325456
- A. Goldberg, & J. M. Hagberg. (1990). Physical exercise in the elderly. In E. L. Schneider & J. W. Rowe(eds.), Handbook of the biology of aging. SanDiego: Academic Press.
- C. E. Ross. (2000). Neighborhood disadvantage and adult depression. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 41(2), 177-187. DOI: 10.2307/2676304 https://doi.org/10.2307/2676304
- H. O. Oh. (2014). Relationship between social capital, depression and quality of life in elderly people participating in physical activity. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 53(3), 535-547.
- D. B. Kim. (2008). The study on the development of the Korean elderly's successful aging scale. Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 60(1), 211-231.
- D. W. Jung. (2011). Study on the effects of participation to seniorobic on leisure satisfaction and successful aging. Master's Thesis, Kyung Hee University.
- H. S. Kim. (2013). An effect of elderly volunteer participation to a successful aging. Korean Journal of Local Government & Administration Studies, 27(2), 419-442. https://doi.org/10.18398/kjlgas.2013.27.2.419
- J. Y. Kim, & J. H. Hong. (2017). The relationship of physical activity, depression, aging anxiety, and attitude toward own aging. Korean Journal of Sport Psychology, 28(3), 51-59. DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.14385/KSSP.28.3.51
- W. J. Brown, J. H. Ford, N. W. Burton, A. L. Marshall, & A. J. Dobson. (2005). Prospective study of physical activity and depressive symptoms in middle-aged women. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 29(4), 265-272. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2005.06.009
- W. K. Kim. (2018). The mediated effect of expectation about aging in correlation between health perception and successful aging in elderly participating in dance sport. The Journal of Korean Dance, 36(2), 53-72. DOI : 10.15726/jkd.2018.36.2.003 https://doi.org/10.15726/jkd.2018.36.2.003
- C. O. Yoo. (2009). A study on cognition on successful aging of the aged enjoying dance sport. Master's Thesis, Korean National Sports University.