- Volume 23 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Stability Control of Injection-molded Product Weight using Artificial Neural Network
인공신경망을 이용한 사출성형품의 무게 안정성 제어에 대한 연구
- Lee, Jun-Han (Res. Inst. of Adv. Manuf. & Mater. Technol. Shape Manuf. R&D Dept, Korea Inst. of Ind. Technol.) ;
- Kim, Jong-Sun (Res. Inst. of Adv. Manuf. & Mater. Technol. Shape Manuf. R&D Dept, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology)
- Received : 2020.07.23
- Accepted : 2020.08.26
- Published : 2020.10.31
In the injection molding process, the controlling stability of products quality is a very important factor in terms of productivity. Even when the optimum process conditions for the desired product quality are applied, uncontrollable external factors such as ambient temperature and humidity cause inevitable changes in the state of the melt resin, mold temperature. etc. Therefore, it is very difficult to maintain prodcut quality. In this study, a system that learns the correlation between process variables and product weight through artificial neural networks and predicts process conditions for the target weight was established. Then, when a disturbance occurs in the injection molding process and fluctuations in the weight of the product occur, the stability control of the product quality was performed by ANN predicting a new process condition for the change of weight. In order to artificially generate disturbance in the injection molding process, controllable factors were selected and changed among factors not learned in the ANN model. Initially, injection molding was performed with a polypropylene having a melt flow index of 10 g/10min, and then the resin was replaced with a polypropylene having a melt floiw index of 33 g/10min to apply disturbance. As a result, when the disturbance occurred, the deviation of the weight was -0.57 g, resulting in an error of -1.37%. Using the control method proposed in the study, through a total of 11 control processes, 41.57 g with an error of 0.00% in the range of 0.5% deviation of the target weight was measured, and the weight was stably maintained with 0.15±0.07% error afterwards.
- S. L. Mok, and C. K. Kwong, F. Grasser, A. D'Arrigo, and S. Colombi, "Application of artificial neural network and fuzzy logic in a case-based system for initial process parameter setting of injection molding" Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 165-176, (2002). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015730705078
- X. Zhou, U. Zhang, T. Mao, and H. Zhou, "Monitoring and dynamic control of quality stability for injection moldingprocess" Journal of Materials Processing Tech, vol. 249, pp. 358-366, (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2017.05.038
- J. Y. Chen, K. J. Yang, S. M. Huang, "Online quality monitoring of molten resin in injection molding." International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 122, pp. 681-693, (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2018.02.019
- B. H. M. Sadeghi, "A BP-neural network predictor model for plastic injection molding process" Journal of materials processing technology, vol. 103, No. 3, pp. 411-416, (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(00)00498-2
- S. Kening, A. Ben-David, M. Orner, and A. Sadeh, "Control of properties in injection molding by neural networks." Applications of Artificial Intelligence, vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 819-823, (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0952-1976(02)00006-4
- B. Ozcelik, and T. Erzurumlu, "Comparison of the warpage optimization in the plastic injection molding using ANOVA, neural network model and genetic algorithm" Journal of materials processing technology, vol. 171, No. 3, pp. 437-445, (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2005.04.120
- C. Ozek, and Y. Celik, "Calculating molding parameters in plastic injection molds with ANN and developing software" Materials and Manufacturing Processes, vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 160-168, (2012). https://doi.org/10.1080/10426914.2011.560224
- S. Shanmuganathan, "Artificial neural network modelling: An introduction. In Artificial neural network modelling" Springer:German, pp. 1-14, (2016).
- Y. J. Kim, H. J. Kim, J. Y. Ha n, and S. Lee, "Classification of Tire Tread Wear Using Accelerometer Signals through an Artificial Neural Network", Journal of the Korean Society of Industry Convergence, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 163-171, (2020).
- P. Balaprakash, M. Salim, and T. D. Uram, "Deep Hyper: Asynchronous Hyperparamter Search for Deep Neural Networks", IEEE 25th International Conference on High Performance Computing, pp. 42-51, (2018).
- D. C. Yang, J. H. Lee, K. H. Yoon, and J. S. Kim, "A Study on the Prediction of Optimized Injection Molding Condition using Artificial Neural Network (ANN)" Transactions of Materials Processing, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 1-14, (2020).
- T. S. Jin, "Feature Extraction Using Convolution Neural Networks for Random Translation" Journal of the Korean Society of Industry Convergence, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 515-521, (2020). https://doi.org/10.21289/KSIC.2020.23.3.515
- H. K. Cho, and J. S. Lee, " A Study on the Rainfall Forecasting Using Neural Network Model In Nakdong River Basin - A Comparison with Multivariate Model" Journal of the Korean Society of Industry Convergence, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 51-59, (1999).
- J. H. Lee, K. H. Yoon, J. S. Kim, S. Y. Kim, and H. Y. Lim, "The Effect of Property Change of Resin on Injection Molded Part", Transactions of Materials Processing, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 1-14, (2020).
- P. Zhao, Z. Dong, J. Zhang, Y. Zhang, M. Cao, Z. Zhu, H. Zhou, and J. Fu, "Optimization of Injection-Molding Process Parameters for Weight Control: Converting Optimization Problem to Classification Problem", Advances in Polymer Technology, Vol. 2020, pp. 1-9, (2020)
- D. P. Kingma, and J. Ba, "ADAM: A METHOD FOR STOCHASTIC OPTIMIZATION", The 3rd International Conference for Learning Representations (arXiv preprint arXiv:1412.6980), (2015)