- Volume 22 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Electrical resistivity characteristics for cement specimens with TiO2 according to activated carbon content
활성탄 함유량에 따른 광촉매(TiO2) 시멘트 시편의 전기비저항 특성
- Kong, Tae-Hyun (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Jong-Won (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Ye, Ji-Hun (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Ahn, Jaehun (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Oh, Tae-Min (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Pusan National University)
- 공태현 (부산대학교 사회환경시스템공학과) ;
- 이종원 (부산대학교 사회환경시스템공학과) ;
- 예지훈 (부산대학교 사회환경시스템공학과) ;
- 안재훈 (부산대학교 사회환경시스템공학과) ;
- 오태민 (부산대학교 사회환경시스템공학과)
- Received : 2020.08.12
- Accepted : 2020.08.25
- Published : 2020.09.30
Concrete with activated carbon and titanium dioxide (TiO2) has been used to reduce the particulate matter (PM) in underground structures (e.g., tunnels) due to the high performance of nitrogen oxides (NOx) abatement. Damage (e.g. crack, spalling, or detachment) can be caused by the environmental and ageing effects on the surface of the particulate matter reduction concrete, installed on the tunnel lining. Therefore, it is important to evaluate the existence of spalling on the concrete surface for maintaining performance of NOx reduction. In this study, a basic research was performed for feasibility of spalling evaluation using electrical resistivity characteristics. Given the test results, the electrical resistivity was decreased as the ratios of activated carbon (0~15%) and TiO2 (0~25%) were increased for specimens. Under a dry condition, electrical resistivity of cement specimens, mixed with activated carbon and TiO2, was decreased up to 2.3 times, compared with the normal cement specimen. In addition, under saturation conditions (degree of saturation: 85~98%), electrical resistivity of cement specimens with activated carbon, was decreased up to 3.5 times, compared with the normal cement specimen. Regardless of the condition (dry or saturated), the difference of electrical resistivity values shows the range of 2.3~2.8 times between the mixing specimen (with activated carbon (15%) and TiO2 (25%)) and the normal cement specimen. This study can help to provide basic knowledge for spalling evaluation using the electrical resistivity on the surface of the particulate matter reduction concrete in tunnels.
- Ahn, H.R., Kim, Y.K., Lee, S.W. (2020), "Fundamental study on the fixation method of particulate matter precursor reduction material for existing concrete structures", International Journal of Highway Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 61-76. https://doi.org/10.7855/IJHE.2020.22.1.061
- Baek, H.S., Park, J.H., Seung, I.B. (2019), "A study on NO removal efficiency of titanium dioxide by binder and pigment", Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 109-116. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2019.41.2.109
Beeldens, A. (2006), "An environmental friendly solution for air purification and self-cleaning effect: the application of
$TiO_2$as photocatalyst in concrete", Proceedings of the Transport Research Arena Europe-TRA, Goteborg, pp. 12-16.
- Belli, A., Mobili, A., Bellezze, T., Tittarelli, F. (2020), "Commercial and recycled carbon/steel fibers for fiber-reinforced cement mortars with high electrical conductivity", Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 109, 103569. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2020.103569
- Boonen, E., Beeldens, A. (2014), "Recent photocatalytic applications for air purification in Belgium", Coatings, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 553-573. https://doi.org/10.3390/coatings4030553
Cardenas, C., Tobon, J.I., Garcia, C., Vila, J. (2012), "Functionalized building materials: photocatalytic abatement of NOx by cement pastes blended with
$TiO_2$nanoparticles", Construction and Building materials, Vol. 36, pp. 820-825. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.06.017
Di Tommaso, M., Bordonzotti, I. (2016), "
$NO_x$adsorption, fire resistance and $CO_2$sequestration of high performance, high durability concrete containing activated carbon", Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Concrete Sustainability, Madrid, Vol. 192, pp. 1-12.
Folli, A., Strom, M., Madsen, T.P., Henriksen, T., Lang, J., Emenius, J., Klevebrant, T., Nilsson, A. (2015). "Field study of air purifying paving elements containing
$TiO_2$. Atmospheric Environment", Vol. 107, pp. 44-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2015.02.025
- Guerrini, G.L. (2012), "Photocatalytic performances in a city tunnel in Rome: NOx monitoring results", Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 165-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.07.065
- Han, B., Ding, S., Yu, X. (2015), "Intrinsic self-sensing concrete and structures: A review", Measurement, Vol. 59, pp. 110-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2014.09.048
- Horgnies, M., Dubois-Brugger, I., Gartner, E.M. (2012). "NOx de-pollution by hardened concrete and the influence of activated charcoal additions", Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 42, No. 10, pp. 1348-1355. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2012.06.007
- Horgnies, M., Serre, F., Dubois-Brugger, I., Gartner, E. (2014). "NOx De-pollution using activated charcoal concrete - from laboratory experiments to tests with prototype garages", Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Environmental Pollution and Remediation, Prague, Vol. 42, No. 10, pp. 1348-1355.
- Jang, H.S. (2017), "Distribution of daily change of concentration of contaminants in expressway tunnels", Journal of Korean Living Environment System, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 1-9. https://doi.org/10.21086/ksles.2017.02.24.1.1
- Kang, C.M., Park, S.G., Sunwoo, Y., Kang, B.W, Lee, H.S. (2006), "Respiratory health effects of fine particles (PM2.5) in Seoul", Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 554-563.
- Kang, H.J., Kim, C.H., Cheng, H.M. (2017), "Air quality control and effective ventilation in the expressway tunnel", Expressway & Transportation Research Institute, pp. 6-7, 137-138, 169.
- Kim, H.J. (2017), "R&D strategy and roadmap development for disease caused by paticulate matter", Korea Center for Disease Control & Prevention, pp. 4.
- Kim, Y.K., Hong, S.J., Lee, K.B., Lee, S.W. (2014), "Evaluation of NOx removal efficiency of photocatalytic concrete for road structure", International Journal of Highway Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 49-58. https://doi.org/10.7855/IJHE.2014.16.5.049
- Layssi, H., Ghods, P., Alizadeh, A.R., Salehi, M. (2015), "Electrical resistivity of concrete" Concrete International, Vol. 37, No. 5, pp. 41-46.
- Lee, B.Y., Lee, J.S. (2017), "Evaluation of dispersion of activated carbon fiber in mortar using electrical resistivity method", Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 283-290. https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2017.29.3.283
- Lee, C.K., Kim, I.S., Choi, S.Y., Yang, E.I. (2020), "Evaluation of fundamental properties and chloride penetration resistance of concrete using superabsorbent polymers", Journal of the Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance and Inspection, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 50-59. https://doi.org/10.11112/JKSMI.2020.24.2.50
- Lee, J.W., Oh, T.M., Kim, H., Kim, M.K. (2019), "Coupling material characteristics with water-cement ratio for elastic wave based monitoring of underground structure" Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 84, pp. 129-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2018.11.014
- Lee, S.H. (2018), "Assessment of particulate matter health effects and adaptation measures in municipal levels", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, pp. 41-50.
- Lee, Y.K., An, J.G., Jo, B.K., Kim, M.H., Park, J.H., Um, S.J. (2010), "The development and field application of cleaning equipments for air quality in subway tunnel", Proceedings of the Autumn Conference & Annual Meeting of the Korean Society for Railway, Jeju, pp. 2143-2153.
- Oh, S.G., Lee, J.H., Ahn, J.C. (2004), "An experimental study on the application method of activated carbon for an environmental-friendly cementitious material", Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Structure & Construction, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 99-106.
- Park, G.J., Park, J.J., Kwak, J.W., Kim, S.W. (2019), "Research on the efficient manufacturing method of photocatalyst concrete according to the type and mixing ratio of photocatalyst", Journal of the Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance and Inspection, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 69-77.
Ra, D.G., Lee, G.D., Jeong, S.C., Kim, Y.G. (2003), "Assesment of strength property and photocatalytic activity of
$TiO_2$-added mortar", Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, Vol. 25, No. 12, pp. 1499-1503.
Seo, D.W., Yun, T.S. (2016), "Experimental study on capacity variation of paving materials with
$TiO_2$in wet condition", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 49-55. https://doi.org/10.7843/kgs.2016.32.5.49
- Zhang, Y.G., Wang, Y., Yang, C.Y., Li, G.Q., Yan, H.C. (2017), "study on the reduction of radon exhalation rates of concrete with different activated carbon", In Key Engineering Materials, Vol. 726, pp. 558-563. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.726.558