- Volume 22 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Fatigue analysis for structural stability review of TBM cutterhead
TBM 커터헤드의 구조안정성 검토를 위한 피로해석
- Choi, Soon-Wook (Underground Space Safety Research Center, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology) ;
- Kang, Tae-Ho (Underground Space Safety Research Center, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology) ;
- Lee, Chulho (Underground Space Safety Research Center, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology) ;
- Chang, Soo-Ho (Construction Industry Promotion Department, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology)
- 최순욱 (국건설기술연구원 지하공간 안전연구센터) ;
- 강태호 (국건설기술연구원 지하공간 안전연구센터) ;
- 이철호 (국건설기술연구원 지하공간 안전연구센터) ;
- 장수호 (한국건설기술연구원 건설산업진흥본부)
- Received : 2020.07.27
- Accepted : 2020.08.10
- Published : 2020.09.30
Although TBM's cutterhead requires design review for fatigue failure due to wear-induced section loss as well as heavy load during excavation, it is difficult to find a case of fatigue analysis for TBM cutterhead at present. In this study, a stress-life design review was conducted on cutter heads with a diameter of 8.2 m using S-N curves as a safety life design concept. Also, we introduced the fatigue design method of construction equipment and the method of assessing fatigue damage and explained the results of the fatigue analysis on the TBM cutter head with a diameter of 8.2 m. The S-N curve has been shown to play a key role in fatigue design and can also be used to assess how much fatigue damage a structure is suffering from at this point in time. In the future, it is necessary to find out when fatigue problems occur during using the equipment and when it is good to conduct safety inspections of the equipment.
- ASTM (2011), Standard practices for cycle counting in fatigue analysis, ASTM E-1049.
- Bai, Q., Bai, Y. (2014), Subsea pipeline design, analysis, and installation (12 fatigue and fracture), Gulf Professional Publishing, Houston, pp. 283-318.
- Choi, S.W., Park, B., Chang, S.H., Kang, T.H., Lee, C. (2018), "Database analysis for estimating design parameters of medium to large-diameter TBM", Tunnel and Underground Space, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 513-527. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2018.28.6.513
- Holshouser, W.L., Mayner, R.D. (1972), Fatigue failure of metal components as a factor in civil aircraft accidents, NASA, USA, pp. 611-630.
- KITECH (2005), Design technical support for improved fatigue life of heavy machinery trackrollers, Ministry of Commerce Industry and Energy, Republic of Korea.
- Maddox, S.J. (2003), "Review of fatigue assessment procedures for welded aluminium structures", International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 25, No. 12, pp. 1359-1378. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(03)00063-X
- Majumdar, S., Bhattacharjee, D., Ray, K.K. (2008), "On the micromechanism of fatigue damage in an interstitial-free steel sheet", Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 39, No. 7, pp. 1676-1690. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11661-008-9537-y
- Maury, H., Wilches, J., Illera, D., Pugliese, V., Mesa, J., Gomez, H. (2018), "Failure assessment of a weld-cracked mining excavator boom", Engineering Failure Analysis, Vol. 90, pp. 47-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2018.03.022
- Tanaka, T. (1982), Data book on fatigue strength of metallic materials, Society of Materials Science, Japan (JSMS), pp. 57.
- Wikipedia, Rainflow-counting algorithm, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainflow-counting_algorithm (2020. 07. 27).
- Zhao, H., Wang, G., Wang, H., Bi, Q., Li, X. (2017), "Fatigue life analysis of crawler chain link of excavator", Engineering Failure Analysis, Vol. 79, pp. 737-748. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2017.04.034