- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of nutrition education received by teachers on primary school students' nutrition knowledge
- Elmas, Cemre (Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Faculty of Health Sciences, Eastern Mediterranean University) ;
- Arslan, Perihan (Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Faculty of Health Sciences, Eastern Mediterranean University)
- Received : 2019.05.27
- Accepted : 2020.01.08
- Published : 2020.10.01
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: The aim of this study was to assess the effect of nutrition education received by fourth- and fifth-grade teachers in state schools in Famagusta, Northern Cyprus, on their students. SUBJECTS/METHODS: The aim of this study is to assess the effect of nutrition education received by fourth- and fifth-grade teachers (n = 27) in state schools in Famagusta on their students. Participants (n = 718) were selected through a regional pilot scheme. The teachers were instructed on nutrition by the researcher and provided with a researcher-prepared nutrition education book "I Am Learning about Healthy Nutrition". Before receiving their nutrition education, the teachers were pretested to assess their baseline nutrition knowledge. Following receipt of their nutrition education, a posttest, which included the same questions as those in the pretest, was administered to the teachers to assess the effectiveness of the training session. Similarly, students were asked pretest researcher-prepared questions to evaluate their baseline nutrition knowledge level. The teachers were then given a period of three to four weeks to instruct the students in nutrition education. Following this instructional period, a posttest that included the same questions as those in the pretest was administered to the students. RESULTS: The results showed that there were significant differences between the pre- and posttest scores of both teachers and students; in both groups, the nutrition knowledge level increased (P < 0.05). CONCLUSIONS: These results show that the provision of nutrition education training to teachers positively affected the nutrition knowledge level of both teachers and students.
- Mahan LK, Escott-Stump S, Raymond JL. Krause's Food and the Nutrition Care Process. 13th ed. New York (NY): Saunders; 2012.
- Marotz LR. Health, Safety, and Nutrition for the Young Child. 7th ed. New York (NY): Delmar Learning; 2009.
- Garipagaoglu M, Ozgunes N. Nutrition practices in schools. Cocuk Dergisi 2008;8:152-9. Turkish.
- Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Ministry of Health, Hacettepe University Faculty of Health Sciences. Ministry of National Education. Turkey in the School Age Children (6-10 age group) Monitoring Growth Project Research Report (TOCBI). Ankara: Ministry of Health Publications; 2011. (Turkish)
- Merdol, Kutluay M. Nutrition of Preschool Children. Publication No. 732. Ankara: Ministry of Health, Nutrition Information Series; 2012. (Turkish)
- Office of the Surgeon General; Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; National Institutes of Health. The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Prevent and Decrease Overweight and Obesity. Rockville (MD): Office of the Surgeon General; 2001. p.1-60.
- Sanlier N, Ersoy Y. Nutrition Principles for Mother and Child. Istanbul: Morpa Cultural Publications; 2005. (Turkish)
- Stang J, Taft Bayerl C, Flatt MM; Association Positions Committee Workgroup. Position of the American Dietetic Association: child and adolescent food and nutrition programs. J Am Diet Assoc 2006;106:1467-75.
- Vereecken C, Maes L. Young children's dietary habits and associations with the mothers' nutritional knowledge and attitudes. Appetite 2010;54:44-51.
- Arslan P, Beyhan Y. Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs Widespread Farmer Training Project, Nutrition Training. Ankara: Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs, Publication Department Press Office; 2006.
- Merdol KT. Nutrition Education and Counseling. Ankara: Ministry of Health Publications; 2012. p.1-20. (Turkish)
- TRNC State Planning Organization. The results of the 2011 KKTC census; age, age, gender and population [Internet]. Nicosia: TRNC State Planning Organization; 2011. [cited 2015 October 10]. Available from: http://www.devplan.org/Frame-tr.html. (Turkish)
- Ozdamar K. Biostatistics with SPSS. Eskisehir: Nisan Bookstore Publications; 2015. (Turkish)
- Hu C, Ye D, Li Y, Huang Y, Li L, Gao Y, Wang S. Evaluation of a kindergarten-based nutrition education intervention for pre-school children in China. Public Health Nutr 2010;13:253-60.
- Adams KM, Kohlmeier M, Powell M, Zeisel SH. Nutrition in medicine: nutrition education for medical students and residents. Nutr Clin Pract 2010;25:471-80.
- Poddar KH, Hosig KW, Anderson ES, Nickols-Richardson SM, Duncan SE. Web-based nutrition education intervention improves self-efficacy and self-regulation related to increased dairy intake in college students. J Am Diet Assoc 2010;110:1723-7.
- Sabbag C. Nutrition habits and nutritional knowledge levels of teachers in primary schools [master's thesis]. Ankara: Ankara University; 2003. (Turkish)
- Gurel FS, Gemalmaz A, Discigil G. Nutritional knowledge, source of nutritional knowledge and physical activity status of a group of primary school teachers. ADU Tip Fakultesi Derg 2004;5:21-6. (Turkish)
- Taskaya SM, Yetkin R, Yetkin B. Opinions of the primary school teachers related to the eating time implemented to primary school students. Res Soc Sci Stud 2014;3:15-22. (Turkish)
- Rossiter M, Glanville T, Taylor J, Blum I. School food practices of prospective teachers. J Sch Health 2007;77:694-700.
- Sakar E. Nutrition habits and nutritional knowledge levels of teachers in primary schools [master's thesis]. Istanbul: Halic University; 2013. (Turkish)
- Sanlier N, Guler A. The effect of nutritional education given to the students attending to the secondary stage of the primary school on their nutrition knowledge and food habits. J Nutr Diet 2005;33:31-8. (Turkish)
- Park HJ, Lee JS, Kim EK. Assessment of nutrition label education in sixth grade elementary school students. J Korean Diet Assoc 2010;16:226-38.
- Sabbag C, Surucuoglu MS. Evaluation of the influence of the nutrition education to be provided to the primary students on the nutrition attitudes and behaviors. Elect J Food Technol 2011;6:1-13. (Turkish)
- Akar SS. A study on nutrition education in primary schools based on education method from child to child [PhD thesis]. Ankara: Gazi University; 2002. (Turkish)
- Yigit R, Tokgoz E, Esenay F. Effect of nutrition education to knowledge level in primary school age children. J Ataturk Univ Sch Nurs 2001;4:52-7. (Turkish)
- Shah P, Misra A, Gupta N, Hazra DK, Gupta R, Seth P, Agarwal A, Gupta AK, Jain A, Kulshreshta A, Hazra N, Khanna P, Gangwar PK, Bansal S, Tallikoti P, Mohan I, Bhargava R, Sharma R, Gulati S, Bharadwaj S, Pandey RM, Goel K. Improvement in nutrition-related knowledge and behaviour of urban Asian Indian school children: findings from the 'Medical education for children/Adolescents for Realistic prevention of obesity and diabetes and for healthy aGeing' ( MARG) intervention study. Br J Nutr 2010;104:427-36.
- Unusan N. Determination of inadequate and unbalanced nutritional habits of school students between 4-6 years [master's thesis]. Konya: Selcuk University; 2009. (Turkish)
- Prelip M, Kinsler J, Thai CL, Erausquin JT, Slusser W. Evaluation of a school-based multicomponent nutrition education program to improve young children's fruit and vegetable consumption. J Nutr Educ Behav 2012;44:310-8.