- Volume 22 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Comparative Study on the Degumming Methods of Hemp Fiber
대마섬유의 정련 방법에 관한 비교 연구
- Lim, Hyeong-Gyu (Dept. Clothing and Textiles, Andong National University) ;
- Kim, Hee-Sook (Dept. Clothing and Textiles, Andong National University)
- Received : 2019.10.15
- Accepted : 2020.07.17
- Published : 2020.08.31
Previous studies are used to examine cellulose content, degumming period, fiber quality, production yield, production cost, development limit of fiber according to physical, chemical, and microbial degumming methods. Three types of degumming methods are used to measure surface condition after degumming, necessity of additional degumming and degree of impurity removal. First, previous studies confirmed that the microbial degumming method is superior in terms of cellulose content, fiber quality, production yield, production cost, and fiber development possibility. Second, surface condition and the necessity of additional degumming were analyzed by SEM. The black skin binding material was removed in the case of the Sangnangyi and chemical degumming; however, it was insufficient and further degumming was required. Skin fiber binding material was removed in the case of microbial degumming and the surface was cleanest after degumming; in addition, most showed the form of yarn decomposition. The FT-IR spectrum determined the degree of removal of impurities and showed that it can utilize inherent physical properties as the best degumming method. The degree of removal of pectin and lignin by microbial degumming was cleanest with hemicellulose also reduced by microbial degumming.
- Andong-si. (2018). Established a five-year comprehensive plan to foster Andongpo and hemp industries, p. 43.
- Bai, S. K. (1984). An experimental study on the anti-mildew of Hemp fabrics. Family and Environment Research, 22(1), 79-86.
- Bae, Y. D. (2003). The traditional and modern meaning of Andongpo production and consumption. The Korean Folklore, 37(1), 72-76.
- Choi, E. G., & Kim, J. H. (2003).Pre-treatment and finishing technique using enzyme. Fiber Technology and Industry, 7(3), 292-301.
- Hepworth, D. G., Bruce, D. M., Vincent, J. F. V., & Jeronimidis, G. (2000). The manufacture and mechanical testing of thermosetting natural fibre composites. Journal of Materials Science, 35(2), 293-298. doi:10.1023/A:1004784931875
- Ji, D. S., Hwang, M. S., & Lee, J. J. (2010). Recent technology development trend of green Hemp fiber. Dyeing and Finishing, 5, 62-69.
- Kim, S. B., Koo, J. W., & Woo, H. S. (2015). Degumming method of bast fiber and degummed bast fiber using the same, Korea Patent No.1014883740000. Daejeon: Korean Intellectual Property Office.
- Lee, H, J., Han, Y. S., Yoo, H. J. (2006). The change of Kenaf fiber characteristics by the contents of Noncellulosic material. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 30(11), 1581-1588.
- Mwaikambo, L. Y., & Ansell, M. P. (2002). Chemical modification of hemp, sisal, jute and kapok fibers by alkalization. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 84(12), 2222-2234. doi:10.1002/app.10460
- Naira, G. R., Lyew, D., Yaylayan, V., & Raghavan, V. (2015). Application of microwave energy in degumming of hemp stems for the processing of fibres. Biosystems Engineering, 131, 23-31. doi:10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2014.12.012
- Noh, J. G. (2017). A method degumming bast fibers by using micro- organisms, Korea Patent No.1017615830000. Daejeon: Korean Intellectual Property Office.
- Park, S. Y., Song, W. S., & Kim, I. Y. (2010). Effect of sodium sulfate on Ramie fabrics treated with pectinase. Textile Coloration and Finishing, 22(3), 220-228. doi:10.5764/TCF.2010.22.3.220
- Rosemberg, J. A. (1965). Bacteria responsible for retting of Brazilian flax. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 13(6), 991-992.
- Thomsen A. B., Thygesen A., Bohn V., Nielsen K. V., Pallesen, B., & Jorgensen, M. S. (2006). Effects of chemical-physical pre-treatment processes on hemp fibres for reinforcement of composites and for textile. Industrial Crops and Products, 24(2), 113-118. doi:10.1016/j.indcrop.2005.10.003
- Wang, J., & Ramaswamy, G. N. (2003). One-step processing and bleaching of mechanically separated kenaf fibers: Effects on physical and chemical properties. Textiles Research Journal, 73(4), 339-344. doi:10.1177/004051750307300411
- Woo, J. Y. (2010). Preparation and properties of ABS/natural fiber composites. Unpublished master's thesis, Inha University, Incheon.
- Zhang, J., & Zhang, J. (2010). Effect of refined processing on the physical and chemical properties of Hemp bast fibers. Textile Research Journal, 80(8), 744-753. doi:10.1177/0040517509342317