- Volume 22 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Blend Ratio and Fabric Structural Factor Affecting Garment Formability of Wool/Polyester Blend Fabric
울/폴리에스터 혼방직물의 혼용율과 직물 구조인자가 의류의 입체성형성에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Hyun Ah (Korea Research Institute for Fashion Industry)
- 김현아 (한국패션산업연구원 연구개발본부)
- Received : 2020.04.16
- Accepted : 2020.05.14
- Published : 2020.08.31
This study examined the effect of the blend ratio of wool and polyester fibers, yarn and fabric structural parameters to the appearance property and the formability of worsted fabrics. The mechanical properties of twenty types of manufactured worsted and PET/wool blend fabrics were measured using KES-FB and FAST systems. Garment formability increases with the thickness and cover factor as well as increases with wool content. The correlation between KES-FB and FAST system showed a relatively high correlation with an extensibility of 0.98, bending and shear rigidity 0.71; both were higher than polyester synthetic fiber. The correlation coefficient of garment formability between KES-FB and FAST systems was 0.93 and the correlation coefficient between formability and fabric extensibility was 0.8. These results were higher than those of bending and shear rigidity. This revealed that garment formability was influenced by wool content, cover factor and fabric thickness; however, wool content and fabric thickness were the most important factors for the seam pucker. The garment formability of the worsted fabrics can be predicted by fabric mechanical properties measured from KES-FB and FAST systems.
- Jedda, H., Ghith, A., & Sakli, F. (2007). Prediction of fabric drape using the FAST system. Journal of the Textile Institute, 98(3), 219-225. doi:10.1080/00405000701463920
- Kim, H. A., & Kim, S. J. (2010). Simulation of the weave structural design of synthetic woven fabrics. Fibers and Polymers, 11(6), 905-910. doi:10.1007/s12221-010-0905-z
- Kim, H. A., & Kim, S. J. (2011). Seam pucker and formability of the worsted fabric. Fibers and Polymers, 12(8), 1099-1105. doi:10.1007/s12221-011-1099-8
- Korean Standards Association. (2017). KS K ISO 7770 Test method for assessing the smoothness appearance of seams in fabrics cleansing. Korea Agency for Technology and Standards.
- Korean Standards Association. (2016). KS K 0558 Test method for dimensional change percentage by ironing of woven and knitted fabrics. Korea Agency for Technology and Standards.
- Komatsu, K., & Niwa, M. (1978). Studies on the prediction of making- up properties of garment - The prediction of making-up properties of men's suit fabrics for summer. Journal of the Textile Machinery Society of Japan, 31, 158-165. doi:10.4188/transjtmsj.31.11_T158
- Kawabata, S. (1980). The standardization and analysis of hand evaluation (2nd ed.). Journal of the Textile Machinery Society of Japan. Hand Evaluation Standardization Committee, Osaka.
- Lindberg, J., Behre, B., & Dahlberg, B. (1961). Part III: Shearing and buckling of various commercial fabrics. Textile Research Journal, 31(2), 99-122. doi:10.1177/004051756103100203 https://doi.org/10.1177/004051756103100203
- Ly, N. G., & De Boos, A. G. (1990). Application of the FAST system to the manufacture of fabrics and garments. English International Wool Textile Research Society, 370-379. doi:10.1108/09556229610124008
- Majar, T., Ajiki, I., Dhingra, R., & Postle, R. (1989). Fabric mechanical and physical properties relevant to clothing manufacture (Part III) - Shape formation in tailoring. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 1(3), 6-13. doi:10.1108/eb002950 https://doi.org/10.1108/eb002950
- Morooka, H., & Niwa, M. (1978). Physical properties of fabrics relating to making-up and good appearance. Journal of the Textile Machinery Society of Japan, 24(4), 105-114. doi:10.4188/jte1955.24.105 https://doi.org/10.4188/jte1955.24.105
- Morooka, H., & Niwa, M. (1976). Relations between making-up properties and physical properties of fabrics. Journal of the Textile Machinery Society of Japan, 29, T183-T192. doi:10.4188/transjtmsj.29.12_T183 https://doi.org/10.4188/transjtmsj.29.12_T183
- Niwa, M., Yamada, T., & Kawabata, S. (1981). Prediction of the appearance of men's suit from fabric mechanical properties and fabric hand (Part II) - Analysis of men's summer suit using fabric hand values. Journal of the Textile Machinery Society of Japan, 34, 76-85.
- Niwa, M., Inoue, M., & Kawabata, S. (2001). Objective evaluation of the handle of blankets. Textile Research Journal, 71, 701-710. doi: 10.1177/004051750107100809
- Postle, R., & Dhingra, R. C. (1989). Measuring and interpreting low- stress fabric mechanical and surface properties (part III) - Optimization of fabric properties for men's. Suiting materials. Textile Research Journal, 59(8), 448-459. doi:10.1177/004051758905900803
- Shishoo, R. L. (1989). Fabric properties and making up processes. Textile Asia, 2, 66-73.
- Shishoo, R., & Choroszy, M. (1990). Fabric tailorability. Textile Asia, 2(12), 64-71.
- Takahashi, K., & Nishimatsu, T. (2015). Influence of physical properties of wool fabrics on the poor appearance of jacket. Journal of Textile Engineering, 61(2), 17-21. doi:10.4188/jte.61.17
- The CSIRO Division of Wool Technology. (1989). Fabric Assurance by Simple Testing Instruction Manual.
- Yamada, Y., Mori, M., & Niwa, M. (1995). A study on seam puckering (Part II) - Prediction of seam puckering of ladies' thin dress fabrics based on mechanical properties. Journal of the Japan Research Association for Textile End-Uses, 36(2), 240-248. doi:10.11419/senshoshi1960.36.240