- Volume 22 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Classification of Adult Women's Fingernail Type
성인 여성의 손톱 유형 분류
- Kim, Ha Eun (Dept. of Clothing and Textiles, Chonnam National University) ;
- Kim, Nam Soon (Dept. of Clothing and Textiles, Chonnam National University) ;
- Do, Wol Hee (Dept. of Clothing and Textiles, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2020.04.29
- Accepted : 2020.07.31
- Published : 2020.08.31
This study improves the dimensional suitability of nail tip products by reviewing the type of fingernail as seen among adult women in Korea. Subjects were 147 adult women ranging from age 20 to 40. Direct fingernails measurements were made using digital Vernier calipers and a curvature gauge. Data on various fingernail shapes were collected through indirect measurements using photography to reveal the shape characteristics of each fingernail types. In this sense, data were analyzed by statistical methods with the use of factor analysis. There were various factors considered to classify extracted fingernail types such as five factors (for the thumb), four factors (index, middle, and little fingers), and three factors (for the ring finger). The cluster analysis resulted in three types. Type 1 is a 'Square' shape characterized with wide fingernails, low height, flat, and low curvature of the cuticle line. Type 2 is 'U-round' shape characterized with narrow fingernails, high height, convex, and the highest curvature of the cuticle line. Type 3 is a 'Round' shape in which the fingernails are wide, high in height, convex, and characterized with a medium curvature of the cuticle line. The results are useful for companies that develop the free edge shape of fingernails for consumer products. The measured values of fingernail can be applied to the shape and lake setting of the nail tip product, depending on type of fingernail.
- An, J. Y. (2015). A study on preferences of nail.pedi art material and salon design, and consumption behavior. Unpublished master's thesis, Hannam University, Deajeon.
- George, A. O. (2005). Finger nail plate shape and size for personal identification - A possible low technology method for the developing world. Journal of the African Journal of Health Sciences, 12(1-2), 13-20. doi:10.4314/ajhs.v12i1.30795
- Jung, J. W., Kim, K. S., Shin, J. H., Kwon, Y. J., Hwang, J. H., & Lee, S. Y. (2015). Fingernail configuration. Journal of the Archives of Plastic Surgery, 42(6), 753-760. doi:10.5999/aps.2015.42.6.753
- Kim, K. H. (2007). Awareness of nail care and satisfaction level with the quality of nail-shop services. Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Kim, J. H., Kim, S. Y., & Yeo, H. Y. (2017). Analysis of Korean women’s finger nail type for the product design - Focusing on artificial nail tip products -. Journal of the Korean Society for Cosmetology, 23(3), 491-497.
- Lee, E. S. (2018). The development of nail tip design and the measurement of nail size of Korea adult woman - Focusing on case of nail tip brand products of domestic home shopping. Unpublished master's thesis, Gwangju University, Gwangju.
- Murdan, S. (2011). Transverse fingernail curvature in adults: A quantitative evaluation and the influence of gender, age, and hand size and dominance. International Journal of Cosmetic Science, 33(6), 509-513. doi:10.1111/j.1468-2494.2011.00663.x
- Nandgaonkar, H. P. (2014). Should we cut fingernails? - Importance of fingernails in hand skills. Journal of the Academia and Industrial Research, 2(11), 646-653.
- Shirato, R., Abe, A., Tsuchiya, H., & Honda, M. (2017). Effect of fingernail length on the hand dexterity. Journal of the Physical Therapy Science, 29(11), 1914-1919. doi:10.1589/jpts.29.1914
- Vernier Calipers Bluetec BD500-150. (n. d.). AUCTION. Retrieved November 27, 2019, from http://itempage3.auction.co.kr/DetailView.aspx?itemno=B725070113
- Yeo, H. Y., Kim, Y. S., Park, K., & Kim, J. H. (2017). The measure- ment of fingernail configuration in South Korean women. Journal of the Korean Society of Cosmetology, 23(2), 269-275.
- Yeom, J. M. (2019, September 3). Korea, self-nail art wind blowing. Newsworker. Retrieved September 15, 2019, from http://www.newsworker.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=40015
- Yun, C. H., & Lee, S. H. (2017). Study on the safety review and management system of hazardous substances in nail products. Journal of Korea Convergence Society, 8(11), 439-445. doi:10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.11.439 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.11.439