- Volume 22 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Korean Patent Application Trend of Posture Correction Product Design Technology
자세 교정 제품 설계 기술의 한국 특허 출원 경향
- Kim, Minsun (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Yonsei University) ;
- Chun, Jongsuk (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2020.06.23
- Accepted : 2020.08.07
- Published : 2020.08.31
This study investigated the technological development of Korean functional product design for posture correction. We analyzed registered and disclosed Korean patents (n=289) of KIPRIS. They were posture correction technology patents filed from 1999 to 2018. Keywords used in patent selection were posture correction, posture correction clothing, posture correction band, rehabilitation clothing, joint protection, protective equipment, and compression wear. These were then analyzed by patent application year, product type, effect pursued, and posture correction body part. The results showed that patent applications related to posture correction technology have increased since 2014. Products subject to patents for posture correction technology were device/brace (59.5%), footwear (22.5%), and clothing (18.0%). Patents for posture correction pursued various wearing effects. The effects pursued were dependent on the product type. The device/brace focused on joint protection (76.7%) and muscle reinforcement (40.7%). Footwear was focused on joint protection (90.8%). The clothes were focused on muscle reinforcement (50.0%) and body shaping (36.5%). The clothing and device/brace for posture correction were worn on various body parts of the upper limbs to feet. The posture correction product design patent was to correct various body parts. Patents pursuing upper body correction focused on spine posture correction (n=99). Patents for foot posture correction have steadily increased (n=102). Patents for posture correction of the pelvis and hip joints were relatively few (n=46). The results of this study implied the necessity to develop technology to correct posture by combining the functions of device/brace and clothing.
- Choi, J. H., Oh, E. G., & Lee, H. J. (2011). Comparisons of postural habits, body image, and peer attachment for adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis and healthy adolescents. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 17(3), 167-173. doi:10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.3.167
- Gross, M. T. (1995). Lower quarter screening for skeletal malalignment-suggestions for orthotics and shoewear. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy, 21(6), 389-405. doi:10.2519/jospt.19220.127.116.119
- Han, S. M., Lee, K. K., Ha, S., & Sohn, J. H. (2011). The effects of correction exercise on hip joint angle, Q angle, and the distance between knees of genu varum patients. The Official Journal of the Korean Academy of Kinesiology, 13(1), 83-90.
- Hodges, P. W., & Gandevia, S. C. (2000). Activation of the human diaphragm during a repetitive postural task. The Journal of Physiology, 522, 165-175. doi:10.1111/j.1469-7793.2000.t01-1-00165.xm
- Jee, Y. J. (2018, May 23). "I'm not going to the gym"... Home training craze boosts sales of health supplies. The Asia Business Daily. Retrieved May 22, 2020, from http://view.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?idxno=2018052308033518705
- Jung, J. W. (2018, January 29). '1+Economy' trend emerges as Canada's new consumption engine. KOTRA Overseas Market News. Retrieved May 22, 2020, from https://news.kotra.or.kr/user/globalAllBbs/kotranews/album/2/globalBbsDataAllView.do?dataIdx=164541&searchNationCd=101002
- Kang, S. Y., Kim, S. H., Ahn, S. J., Kim, Y. H., & Jeon, H. S. (2012). A comparison of pelvic, spine angle and buttock pressure in various cross-legged sitting postures. Physical Therapy Korea, 19(1), 1-9. doi:10.12674/ptk.2012.19.1.001 https://doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2012.19.1.001
- Kim, D. A. (2004). The effect of hip joint angle and height of cushion on the pressure distribution over buttock during sitting. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kim, H. J. (2014). Technological trend of functional clothing by analysis of Korean patent. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 16(1), 160-166. doi:10.5805/sfti.2014.16.1.160
- KISTA. (2017). Government R & D Patent Trend Research Guidebook. Retrieved October 14, 2019, from https://www.kista.re.kr/cmm/fms/FileDownJFile.do?atchFileId=161fe050cb417&fileSn=1
- Korean Intellectual Property Office. (2010). Understanding of intellectual property. Seoul: Kyungsung Munwhasa.
- Korean Intellectual Property Office. (2019). Medical device patent application trend -14 types of analysis for 10 years('09-'18)-. Retrieved October 14, 2019, from https://www.kipo.go.kr/kpo/download?f=/upload/kipo/new/20190508085910677001_2.pdf&fn=%5B%C3%B7%BA%CE%5D2019+%C0%C7%B7%E1%B1%E2%B1%E2+%C6%AF%C7%E3%C3%E2%BF%F8+%B5%BF%C7%E2.pdf
- Lee, S. Y., & Chun, J. S. (2012). Women’s perceptions of physical deformation from aging and demand on postural correction wear. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 20(5), 725-735. doi:10.7741/rjcc.2012.20.5.725 https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2012.20.5.725
- Liao, M. H., & Drury, C. G. (2000). Posture, discomfort and performance in a VDT task. Ergonomics, 43(3), 345-359. doi:10.1080/00140 1300184459
- McLean, L. (2005). The effect of postural correction on muscle activation amplitudes recorded from the cervicobrachial region. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 15(6), 527-535. doi:10.1016/j.jelekin.2005.06.003
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2011). Korea Health Statistics 2012: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey [KNHANES V-3]. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Moon, S. J. (2018, October 31). Health and beauty care craze of 20- 30 generations. Maeil business Newspaper. Retrieved November 25, 2019, from https://www.mk.co.kr/news/society/view/2018/10/ 681273/
- Neumann, D. A. (2011). Kinesiology of the musculoskeletal system 2e (Y. W. Chae, Trans.). Seoul: Pan Mun Education. (Original work published 1950)
- Pearsall, D. J., & Reid, J. G. (1992). Line of gravity relative to upright vertebral posture. Clinical Biomechanics, 7(2), 80-86. doi:10.1016/ 0268-0033(92)90019-Z
- Park, S. H. (2017. March 15). Posture science brand POSTURE360, Signed acquisition of backjoy Korea. ET News. Retrieved November 25, 2019, from https://www.etnews.com/20170315000322
- Shin, S. J., Lee, S. H., & Jung, M. Y. (2004). The effect of computer work position and workstation on musculoskeletal pain. Korean Journal of Occupational Therapy, 12(2), 83-90.
- Szeto, G. P., Straker, L., & Raine, S. (2002). A field comparison of neck and shoulder postures in symptomatic and asympomatic office worker. Applied Ergonomics, 33, 75-84. doi:10.1016/S0003-6870(01)00043-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-6870(01)00043-6
- Wheale, P. R., & McNally, R. M. (1986). Patent trend analysis: The case of microgenetic engineering. Futures, 18(5), 638-657. doi:10.1016/0016-3287(86)90037-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-3287(86)90037-6