- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Implementation of Lean Six Sigma in Municipal Government Operations to Improve Efficiency and Quality: A Case Study
지방 자치 기관의 운영 효율성과 품질 향상을 위한 린식스시그마 방식의 채택사례
- 김카이 (단국대학교 경영경제학과)
- Received : 2020.07.14
- Accepted : 2020.08.08
- Published : 2020.08.31
Municipal governments today are facing increasingly complex issues while resources continue to be constraint but the service quality expectation from citizen is more demanding. They must develop and implement tools that help manage operations more efficiently. While Lean Six Sigma principle and tools have been widely applied to profit organizations, the extant literature has not provided many cases of such application to local governments. This research presents a case study of applying Lean Six Sigma approaches and tools to a municipal government of a small town in USA to improve process efficiency, quality performance, and citizen satisfaction. In this case study, DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Implement, and Control) is used as a tool to define current issues, develop, and measure performance metrics, and recommend action plans. The result of this case study shows that applying the principles and tools of Lean Six Sigma provides an excellent way to improve the process efficiency and quality of providing public work services at a local government.
- Akuoko, K. O. (2011). Better Street Sweeping Management. Maricopa County: ArcNews.
- Alessandro, L. and Jiju, A. (2011). Standards for Lean Six Sigma certification, International Journal of P roductivity and Performance Management, 61(1), 110-120.
- Alukal, G. (2003). Create a Lean, Mean Machine, Quality Progress (Milwaukee, WI: ASQ).
- Anthony J., Rodgers, B., and Cudney, E. (2017). Lean Six Sigma for Public Sector Organizations: Is It a Myth or Reality?, International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management, 34(9), 1402-1411. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJQRM-08-2016-0127
- Barraza, S., Smith, M., and Dahlgaard-Park, S. (2009). Lean-kaizen Public Service: an Empirical Approach in Spanish Local Governments, The TQM J ournal, 21(2), 143-167. https://doi.org/10.1108/17542730910938146
- Bhasin, S. and Burcher, P. (2006). Lean Viewed as a Philosophy, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 17(1), 56-72. https://doi.org/10.1108/17410380610639506
- Bhatia, N. and Drew, J. (2006). Applying Lean Production to the Public Sector, The McKinsey Quarterly, 3, 97-98.
- Bossert, J. and Grayson, K. (2002). Your Opinion, Six Sigma Forum Magazine, 2(1), November (Milwaukee, WI: ASQ).
- Boyne, G. and Walker, R. (2002). Total Quality Management and Performance, an Evaluation of the Evidence and Lessons for Research on Public Organizations, Public Performance & Management Review Journal, 26(2), 111-131. https://doi.org/10.1177/1530957602238258
- City of Coral Springs, Florida website (2003). Governor's Sterling Award Application, http://www.ci.coralsprings.fl.us/ (Accessed on Apr. 17th, 2015)
- City of Fort Wayne (2002). Six Sigma and City Government, City of Fort Wayne www.cityoffortwayne.org/6Sigma.htm (Accessed on Apr. 24th, 2015)
- Dubai Quality Group (2003). The Birth of Lean Sigma, The Manage Mentor (Dubai).
- Erdil, N. O., Aktas, C. B., and Adrani, O. M. (2018). Embedding Sustainability in Lean Six Sigma Efforts, Journal of Cleaner P roduction, 198, 520-529. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.07.048
- Furterer, S. and Elshennawy, A. K. (2005). Implementation of TQM and Lean Six Sigma Tools in Local Government: a Framework and a Case Study, Total Quality Management & Business Excellence, 16(10), 1179-1191. https://doi.org/10.1080/14783360500236379
- George, M., Rowlands, D., and Kastle, B. (2003). What is Lean Six Sigma?, McGraw-Hill Education.
- Ghose, M., Dikshit, A., and Sharma, S. (2006). A GIS based Transportation Model for Solid Waste Disposal-A Case Study on Asansol Municipality, Waste Management, 26(11), 1287-1293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2005.09.022
- Hasenjager, J. (2006). Lean Government (is not an Oxymoron), Industrial Engineer, 38(7), 43-47.
- Hellein, R. and Bowman, J. (2002). The Process of Quality Management Implementation State Government Agencies in Florida, Public Performance & Management Review Journal, 26(1), 75-93.
- Juliani, F. and Oliveira, O. J. D. (2019). Synergies between Critical Success Factors of Lean Six Sigma and Public Values, Total Quality Management & Business Excellence, 30(15-16), 1563-1577. https://doi.org/10.1080/14783363.2017.1383153
- Kregel, I. and Coners, A. (2018). Introducing Lean Six Sigma to a German Municipality: an Action Research Report, International Journal of Lean Six Sigma, 9(2), 221-237. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJLSS-02-2017-0019
- Krings, D., Levine, D., and Wall, T. (2006). The Use of Lean in Local Government, PM Public Management, 88(8), 12-17.
- Krizner, K. (2001). Manufacturers adopt a Lean Philosophy, Frontline Solutions, July Edition, 1-5.
- Kuvvetli, U. and Firuzan, A. R. (2019). Applying Six Sigma in Urban Public Transportation to Reduce Traffic Accidents Involving Municipality Buses, Total Quality Management & Business Excellence, 30(1-2), 82-107. https://doi.org/10.1080/14783363.2017.1297198
- Lee, D. (2018). The Impact of Severe Weather and Climate Change on Lean Supply Chains, Journal of the Korea Industrial Information Systems Research, 23(3), 117-129. https://doi.org/10.9723/JKSIIS.2018.23.3.117
- Lee, H., Lee, S., and Kim, J. (2012). A Study on the Effects of Service Quality of Financial Industry on Service Performance-Based on Mutual Savings Bank, Journal of the Korea Industrial Information Systems Research, 17(4), 99-114. https://doi.org/10.9723/jksiis.2012.17.4.099
- McIlroy, J. and Silverstein, D. (2002). Six Sigma Deployment in One Aerospace Company, Six Sigma Forum. www.sixsigmaforum.com. (Accessed on May 24th, 2015)
- Radnor, Z. and Boaden, R. (2008). Editorial: Lean in Public Services-panacea or Paradox? Public and Money Management, 28(1), 3-7.
- Redman, T., Mathews, B., Wilkinson, A., and Snape, E. (1995). Quality Management in Services: Is the Public Sector Keeping Pace, International Journal of Public Sector Management, 8(7), 21-34. https://doi.org/10.1108/09513559510103166
- Sheridan, J. (2000). Aircraft-controls Firm Combines Strategies to Improve Speed, Flexibility and Quality, Gale Group, Penton Media.
- Summers, D. (2011). Lean Six Sigma: P rocess Improvement Tools and Techniques, New Jersey, Prentice Hall.
- Womack, J. and Jones, D. (1996). Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation, New York, Simon & Shuster.
- Womack, J., Jones, D., and Ross, D. (1990). The Machine that Changed the World, New York, Rawson Associates.
- Yasin, M., Wafa, M., and Small, M. H. (2001). Just-in-time Implementation in the Public Sector, An Empirical Examination, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 21(9), 1195-1204. https://doi.org/10.1108/EUM0000000005925
- Yoo, I., Na, K., Choi, H., and So, S. (2000). Research on the Evaluation of Service Quality of University. Proceedings of the Korea Society for Industrial Systems Conference, 587-596.