- Volume 11 Issue 3
Here I present a formula which converts a constant phase element (CPE) to its equivalent capacitor. Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy is capable of resolving a complex electrochemical processes into its faradaic and non-faradaic elements, and the non-faradaic process is frequently described as a CPE in place of a capacitor due to the non-ideality. Being described as a capacitor, the non-faradaic element provides information by its capacitance, but a CPE cannot provide a physical meaning. In order to solve the problem, the CPE has been dealt with as an equivalent capacitor of which the capacitance provides practical information. Succeeding the two methods previously suggested, a new conversion method is suggested in this report. While the previous ones manipulate only the CPE, the new method takes both the CPE and its related resistor into account for conversion. By comparing the results obtained by the three methods, we learn that the results are nearly the same within tolerable ranges, and conclude that any of the method choices is acceptable depending on the conditions of the system of interest.
- B.-Y. Chang and S.-M. Park, Annu. Rev. Anal. Chem, 2010, 3, 207-229. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.anchem.012809.102211
- J.-B. Jorcin, M.E. Orazem, N. Pebere and B. Tribollet, Electrochim. Acta, 2006, 51(8-9), 1473-1479. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2005.02.128
- A. Lasia, in: Conway, B. E. and Bockris, J. O. M., Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy and its Applications in Modern Aspects of Electrochemistry, Springer US, 2002.
- E. Barsoukov and J.R. Macdonald, Impedance Spectroscopy: Theory, Experiment, and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
- P. Zoltowski, J. Electroanal. Chem, 1998, 443(1), 149-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0728(97)00490-7
- E. Cuervo-Reyes, C.P. Scheller, M. Held and U. Sennhauser, J. Electrochem. Soc, 2015, 162(8), A1585-A1591. https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0791508jes
- M. Naseri, L. Fotouhi and A. Ehsani, J. Electrochem. Sci. Technol, 2018, 9, 28-36. https://doi.org/10.33961/JECST.2018.9.1.28
- F. Fekri, M. Shahidi, M.M. Foroughi and M. Kazemipour, J. Electrochem. Sci. Technol, 2019, 10, 148-158.
- W. Choi, H.-C. Shin, J.M. Kim, J.-Y. Choi and W.-S. Yoon, J. Electrochem. Sci. Technol, 2020, 11, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.33961/jecst.2019.00528
- E.P.M. van Westing, G.M. Ferrari and J.H.W. de Wit, Corrosion Science, 1993, 34(9), 1511-1530. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-938X(93)90245-C
- C.H. Hsu and F. Mansfeld, Corrosion, 2001, 57(9), 747-748. https://doi.org/10.5006/1.3280607
- M.E. Orazem, P. Shukla and M.A. Membrino, Electrochim. Acta, 2002, 47(13-14), 2027-2034. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-4686(02)00065-8
- M. Kendig and F. Mansfeld, Corrosion, 1983, 39(11), 466-467. https://doi.org/10.5006/1.3581908