- Volume 38 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Suggestion of a Safety Evaluation Procedure to Improve Probiotic Safety
프로바이오틱스 안전성 문제 개선을 위한 안전성 평가방법의 제안
- Kim, Sejeong (Risk Analysis Research Center, Sookmyung Women's University) ;
- Yoon, Yohan (Risk Analysis Research Center, Sookmyung Women's University) ;
- Oh, Sejong (College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2020.06.01
- Accepted : 2020.06.22
- Published : 2020.06.30
Probiotics are actively being studied for their efficacious anticancer, anticholesterol, and antidiabetic properties. As novel probiotic strains are being developed continuously, new strain-specific safety issues may be reported. Therefore, a procedure for the safety evaluation of probiotic strains is needed. In this study, we investigated the current status of domestic and foreign guidelines for the evaluation of safety of probiotics and suggested a general probiotic safety evaluation process. In other countries, the guidelines for probiotic evaluation are provided and managed separately. However, in Korea, general guidelines are provided regarding the use of functional ingredients, and specific guidelines for the use of probiotics are lacking. A review step based on the characteristics of the probiotics has been introduced in the procedure for safety evaluation of probiotics. Additionally, it has been suggested that the safety evaluation process should consider the results of the functional and genomic analysis for strain identification. Moreover, the factors to be evaluated are presented separately for the notified and non-notified strains. The suggested evaluation procedure may ensure the safety of probiotics, thereby promoting enhanced utilization of probiotics as functional products.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations [FAO], World Health Organization [WHO]. Report of a joint FAO/WHO expert consultation on evaluation of health and nutritional properties of probiotics in food including powder milk with live lactic acid bacteria [Internet]. 2006 [cited 2020 Feb 20]. Available from: http://www.fao.org/3/a-a0512e.pdf
- Seo JG, Lee GS, Kim JE, Chung MJ. Development of probiotic products and challenges. Korean Soc Biotechnol Bioeng J. 2010;25:303-310.
- Kechagia M, Basoulis D, Konstantopoulou S, Dimitriadi D, Gyftopoulou K, Skarmoutsou N, et al. Health benefits of probiotics: a review. ISRN Nutr. 2013;2013:481651.
- Korea Agency of HACCP Accreditation and Services. Analysis of 2016 Korean market for health supplements [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2020 Feb 20]. Available from: https://www.mfds.go.kr/brd/m_386/view.do?seq=29358
- Korea Health Supplements Association. Information on industry status of health supplements [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2020 May 7]. Available from: https://www.khsa.or.kr/user/info/InfoHealthIndustry.do?_menuNo=225&infoType=HealthIndustry
- Markets and Markets. Probiotics market by application - Forecast to 2022 [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2020 May 7]. Report No.: FB 2269. Available from: https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/Market-Reports/probiotic-market-advanced-technologies-and-global-market-69.html
- National Food Safety Information service. Health functional food abnormalities [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2020 May 7]. Available from: https://www.foodsafetykorea.go.kr/minwon/sideeffect/stats.do?menu_no=838&menu_grp=MENU_GRP23
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Standards and specifications of health functional foods [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2020 May 7]. No. 2018-67. Available from: https://www.mfds.go.kr/brd/m_207/view.do?seq=14285
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Examples of functional ingredients subject to regular re-evaluation of health functional food in 2021 [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2020 Feb 20]. Available from: https://www.mfds.go.kr/brd/m_74/view.do?seq=43725&srchFr=&srchTo=&srchWord=%EC%9E%AC%ED%8F%89%EA%B0%80&srchTp=0&itm_seq_1=0&itm_seq_2=0&multi_itm_seq=0&company_cd=&company_nm=&Data_stts_gubun=C9999&page=1
- Zmora N, Zilberman-Schapira G, Suez J, Mor U, Dori-Bachash M, Bashiardes S, et al. Personalized gut mucosal colonization resistance to empiric probiotics is associated with unique host and microbiome features. Cell. 2018;174:1388-1405.
- National Evidence-based healthcare Collaborating Agency [NECA]. Research for safe use of probiotics [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2020 May 7]. Available from: https://www.neca.re.kr/lay1/program/S1T11C145/report/view.do?seq=90
- Kim BY. Recent research technologies for quality control of commercial probiotics. Curr Top Lact Acid Bact Probiotics. 2019;5:39-46.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. Announcement by the Ministry of Health and Welfare (No. 2011-74, 2011 Oct 1) [Internet]. 2011 [cited 2020 May 7]. Available from: http://www.mohw.go.kr/react/jb/sjb0406vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=03&MENU_ID=030406&CONT_SEQ=321107
- Salvetti E, Harris HMB, Felis GE, O'Toole PW. Comparative genomics of the genus Lactobacillus reveals robust phylogroups that provide the basis for reclassification. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2018;84:e00993-18.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Regulations on the functional raw materials of health functional foods and the recognition of standardsand standards [Internet]. 2019 [cited 2020 May 7]. No. 2019-69. Available from: https://www.mfds.go.kr/brd/m_211/view.do?seq=14352
- Food Safety Korea. Individual recognized raw materials [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2020 Feb 20]. Available from: https://foodsafetykorea.go.kr/portal/board/board.do?menu_grp=MENU_NEW01&menu_no=2660
- National Institute of Food and Drug Safety Evaluation. Guide to preparation of submission data for recognition of functional ingredients for health supplements' [Internet]. 2019 [cited 2020 Feb 20]. Available from: https://www.nifds.go.kr/brd/m_15/view.do?seq=12803&srchFr=&srchTo=&srchWord=%EA%B8%B0%EB%8A%A5%EC%84%B1%26nbsp%EC%9B%90%EB%A3%8C&srchTp=0&itm_seq_2=0&multi_itm_seq=0&company_cd=&company_nm=&page=1
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations [FAO], World Health Organization [WHO]. Guidelines for the evaluation of probiotics in food [Internet]. 2002 [cited 2020 May 7]. Available from: https://www.who.int/foodsafety/fs_management/en/probiotic_guidelines.pdf
- Health Canada. The use of probiotic microorganisms in food (guidance document) [Internet]. 2009 [cited 2020 May 7]. Available from: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/food-nutrition/legislation-guidelines/guidance-documents/guidance-document-use-probiotic-microorganisms-food-2009.html
- Health Canada. Product licence applications for natural health products containing probiotics [Internet]. 2010 [cited 2020 May 7]. Available from: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/natural-non-prescription/legislation-guidelines/guidance-documents/notice-product-licence-applications-natural-health-products-containing-probiotics.html
- Health Canada. Quality of natural health products guide [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2020 May 7]. Available from: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugshealth-products/natural-non-prescription/legislation-guidelines/guidance-docume nts/quality-guide.html
- European Food Safety Authority [EFSA]. Opinion of the scientific committee on a request from EFSA related to a generic approach to the safety assessment by EFSA of microorganisms used in food/feed and the production of food/feed additives. EFSA J. 2005;226:1-12.
- Youlchon Foundation(Nogshim Corporation and its affiliated componies). Basic research project series [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2020 May 7]. Available from: http://www.youlchon.org/scho/rese/reseView.do?idx=1027&s_text=%EC%9D%B4%EC%A2%85%ED%9B%88&s_type=name&y=12&x=26
- Korea Bio Economics Research Center. Microbiome and healthcare innovation: outlook of probiotics industry [Internet]. BIO Economy Report. 2019 [cited 2020 May 7]. Available from: http://www.koreabio.or.kr/cms/cmsView.do?menu1=8&menu2=2&type1=3&viewCheck=true&bbsseq=43748&bbsid=bbs9
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health [NCCIH]. Probiotics: what you need to know [Internet]. 2019 [cited 2020 Apr 30]. Available from: https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/probiotics-what-you-need-to-know
- Food and Drug Administration [FDA]. GRAS Notice Inventory [Internet]. 2019 [cited 2020 Apr 30]. No. GRN 000813. Available from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fdcc/?set=GRASNotices&sort=GRN_No&order=DESC&startrow=1&type