- Volume 53 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Argon Ion Beam Incident Angle on Self-Organized Nanostructure on the Surface of Polyethylene Naphthalate Film
알곤 이온빔 입사각에 따른 Polyethylene Naphthalate 필름 표면의 자가나노구조화 분석
- Joe, Gyeonghwan (Surface Technology Division, Korea Institute of Materials Science) ;
- Yang, Junyeong (Surface Technology Division, Korea Institute of Materials Science) ;
- Byeon, Eun-Yeon (Surface Technology Division, Korea Institute of Materials Science) ;
- Park, Young-Bae (School of Materials Science and Engineering, Andong National University) ;
- Jung, Sunghoon (Surface Technology Division, Korea Institute of Materials Science) ;
- Kim, Do-Geun (Surface Technology Division, Korea Institute of Materials Science) ;
- Lee, Seunghun (Surface Technology Division, Korea Institute of Materials Science)
- 조경환 (재료연구소 표면기술연구본부) ;
- 양준영 (재료연구소 표면기술연구본부) ;
- 변은연 (재료연구소 표면기술연구본부) ;
- 박영배 (안동대학교 신소재공학부 청정에너지소재기술연구센터) ;
- 정성훈 (재료연구소 표면기술연구본부) ;
- 김도근 (재료연구소 표면기술연구본부) ;
- 이승훈 (재료연구소 표면기술연구본부)
- Received : 2020.04.20
- Accepted : 2020.06.25
- Published : 2020.06.30
Ion beam irradiation induces self-organization of nanostructure on the surface of polymer film. We show that the incident angle of Ar ions on polyethylene naphthalate(PEN) film changes self-organized nanostructure. PEN film was irradiated by argon ion beams with the ion incident angle of 0°, 30°, 45°, 60°, and 80°. Nanostructure was altered from dimple to ripple structure as the angle increases. The ripple structure changed to pillar structure after 60°due to that the shallow incident angle increased the ion energy transfer per depth up to 50 eV/Å, which value could induce excessive surface heating and oligomer formation reacting as a physical mask for anisotropic etching. And quantitative analysis of the nanostructures was adapted by using ABC model and fractal dimension theory.
- M. Ramrakhiani, Nanostructures and their applications, Recent Res. Sci. Technol. 4 (2012).
- A.M. Ektessabi, S. Hakamata, XPS study of ion beam modified polyimide films, Thin Solid Films. 377 (2000) 621-625.
- 이승훈, 변은연, 최주연, 정성훈, 유병길, 김도근, 이온빔 처리된 폴리머 표면의 자가나노구조화를 이용한 반사방지 필름 제조용 소프트몰드 임프린팅 연구, 한국표면공학회지. 50 (2017) 480-485.
- I.P. Jain, G. Agarwal, Ion beam induced surface and interface engineering, Surf. Sci. Rep. 66 (2011) 77-172.
- X. Liu, S. Wang, Three-dimensional nanobiointerface as a new platform for guiding cell fate, Chem. Soc. Rev. 43 (2014) 2385-2401.
- A. Tripathy, P. Sen, B. Su, W.H. Briscoe, Natural and bioinspired nanostructured bactericidal surfaces, Adv. Colloid Interface Sci. 248 (2017) 85-104.
- L.E. Fisher, Y. Yang, M.-F. Yuen, W. Zhang, A.H. Nobbs, B. Su, Bactericidal activity of biomimetic diamond nanocone surfaces, Biointerphases. 11 (2016) 11014.
- J. Zhu, Y. Hu, M. Xu, W. Yang, L. Fu, D. Li, L. Zhou, Enhancement of the adhesive strength between Ag films and Mo substrate by Ag implanted via ion beam-assisted deposition, Materials (Basel). 11 (2018) 762.
- Y. Lee, Y. Yoo, J. Kim, S. Widhiarini, B. Park, H.C. Park, K.J. Yoon, D. Byun, Mimicking a superhydrophobic insect wing by argon and oxygen ion beam treatment on polytetrafluoroethylene film, J. Bionic Eng. 6 (2009) 365-370.
- H. Kitani, N. Toyoda, J. Matsuo, I. Yamada, Incident angle dependence of the sputtering effect of Ar-cluster-ion bombardment, Nucl. Instruments Methods Phys. Res. Sect. B Beam Interact. with Mater. Atoms. 121 (1997) 489-492.
- A. Keller, S. Facsko, Ion-induced nanoscale ripple patterns on Si surfaces: theory and experiment, Materials (Basel). 3 (2010) 4811-4841.
- S.R. Kim, Surface modification of poly (tetrafluoroethylene) film by chemical etching, plasma, and ion beam treatments, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 77 (2000) 1913-1920.
- E.H. Lee, G.R. Rao, M.B. Lewis, L.K. Mansur, Ion beam application for improved polymer surface properties, Nucl. Instruments Methods Phys. Res. Sect. B Beam Interact. with Mater. Atoms. 74 (1993) 326-330.
- S. Lee, E. Byeon, S. Jung, D.-G. Kim, Heterogeneity of hard skin layer in wrinkled PDMS surface fabricated by Ar ion-beam irradiation, Sci. Rep. 8 (2018).
- S. Park, B. Kahng, H. Jeong, A.-L. Barabasi, Dynamics of ripple formation in sputter erosion: nonlinear phenomena, Phys. Rev. Lett. 83 (1999) 3486.
- Y. Gong, A.W. Wren, N.P. Mellott, Quantitative morphological and compositional evaluation of laboratory prepared aluminoborosilicate glass surfaces, Appl. Surf. Sci. 324 (2015) 594-604.
- M. Senthilkumar, N.K. Sahoo, S. Thakur, R.B. Tokas, Characterization of microroughness parameters in gadolinium oxide thin films: A study based on extended power spectral density analyses, Appl. Surf. Sci. 252 (2005) 1608-1619.
- S. Lee, E.Y. Byun, J.K. Kim, D.G. Kim, Ar and O2 linear ion beam PET treatments using an anode layer ion source, Curr. Appl. Phys. 14 (2014) S180-S182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cap.2013.12.031. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cap.2013.12.031
- J.F. Ziegler, M.D. Ziegler, J.P. Biersack, SRIM - The stopping and range of ions in matter (2010), Nucl. Instruments Methods Phys. Res. Sect. B Beam Interact. with Mater. Atoms. 268 (2010) 1818-1823. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nimb.2010.02.091. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nimb.2010.02.091
- S. Facsko, T. Bobek, A. Stahl, H. Kurz, T. Dekorsy, Dissipative continuum model for selforganized pattern formation during ion-beam erosion, Phys. Rev. B. 69 (2004) 153412.
- M.T. De A. Freire, A.P. Damant, L. Castle, F.G.R. Reyes, Thermal stability of polyethylene terephthalate (PET): oligomer distribution and formation of volatiles, Packag. Technol. Sci. 12 (1999) 29-36.
- K. Zhang, O. Bobes, H. Hofsass, Designing self-organized nanopatterns on Si by ion irradiation and metal co-deposition, Nanotechnology. 25 (2014) 85301.