- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Measures to improve the North Korean Refugees Protection and Settlement Support Act for the Social Integration of South and North Korea in the Era of Convergence (in the era of Internet of Things) -Focusing on the Economic Adaptation and Psychological and Social Adaptation of North Korean Refugees-
융합의 시대에(사물인터넷시대에) 남북한 사회통합을 위한 북한이탈주민 보호 및 정착지원법 개선방안 -북한이탈주민의 경제적 적응 및 심리·사회적 적응을 중심으로-
- Choi, Jang-Won (Department of Welfare Management at Tongmyong University)
- 최장원 (동명대학교 복지경영학과)
- Received : 2020.04.02
- Accepted : 2020.06.01
- Published : 2020.06.30
This study examines the North Korean defectors' economic and psychological adjustment status in South Korean society focusing on the specificity of North Korean defectors with the social integration perspective. We conducted a questionnaire survey of 225 North Korean defectors in Seoul and Gyeonggi-do and conducted analysis using the SPSS 22.0 program. The results of the study are as follows. First, the economic adaptation of North Korean defectors was evaluated to be generally low. Second, North Korean refugees' psychological and social adjustment status is generally lower than average, especially cultural adaptation stress, friendship, and satisfaction with physical and mental health. Third, the psychological and cultural adaptation strategy and social support of defectors affected the life satisfaction positively and the adaptation stress had significant negative impact on life satisfaction. Therefore, strategies which reducing adaptive stress and enhancing psychological and cultural adaptation strategies are needed to be implemented in South Korean society. Based on results, policy alternatives were discussed.
- J.S.Lee, "The Interrelationship between North Korean Defectors' Issue and Social Integration Policy in Korea", Unification Strategy, Vol.14, No.4, pp.131-157, 2014.
- Ministry of Unification. 2016 North Korean Settlement Support Practice Manual, 2016.
- S.D.Kwon, "A Study on South Korean Social Integration Policy for North Korean Defactors", Korean Political Research, Vol.23, No.1, pp.101-126, 2014.
- Y.J. Park, "Reflection of North Korean defectors' identity and national values, and social integration", Midry, Vol.5, pp.6-21, 2011.
- E.H. Song and J.B. Seol, "Perceptions of Social Integration in Germany", Korean Northeast Anonchong, Vol.3, No.67, pp.367-392, 2013.
- S.D.Ko, "Popular perception of Social Integration Level in East and West Germany after the Unification", The Journal of Contemporary European Studies, Vol.28, No.2, pp.269-288, 2010.
- Kreckel, R. "Social Integration, National Identity and German Unification". in Surviving the twentieth Century, edited by Marcus, J. T. New Burnswick: Transaction Publishers, pp.85-95. 1999.
- Landecker, W. S. "Types of integration and their measurement", American Journal of Sociology, 56(4), pp.332-340, 1951.
- Duhaime, G., Searles, E., Usher, P. J., Myers, H., and Frechette, P. "Social cohesion and living conditions in the Canadian Arctic: From theory to measurement", Social Indicators Research, Vol.66, No.3, pp.295-318, 2004.
- Rajulton, F., Ravanera, Z. R., and Beaujot, R. "Measuring social cohesion: An experiment using the Canadian national survey of giving, volunteering, and participating", Social Indicators Research, Vol.80, No.3, pp.461-492, 2007.
- K.J.Hong, "Social unification between the two Koreas after unification: Public opinion for the construction of a new theory". Korean Journal of International Relations, Vol.39, No.3, pp.369-390, 2000.
- Y.H.Oh et al. "Analysis of social integration effect of lifelong vocational education and training for vulnerable groups (Part I)". Seoul: Korea Vocational Competency Development Center, 2010.
- Boskoff, A. and Pendleton, W. W. "Sociology; The study of man in adaptation". by John T. Doby, Alvin Boskoff and William W. Pendleton. Lexington, Mass.: DC Heath, 1973.
- Barker, R. L. The social work dictionary. Natl Assn of Social Workers Pr, 1995.
- E.H.Song and E.S.Shin. "North Korean Defectors and Social Integration". Journal of Global Politics, Vol.5, No.2, pp.7-30, 2012.
- Slack, T., and Jensen, L. "Underemployment across immigrant generations". Social Science Research, Vol.36, No.4, pp.1415-1430, 2007.
- Potocky-Tripodi, M. "Refugee economic adaptation: Theory, evidence, and implications for policy and practice". Journal of Social Service Research, Vol.30, No.1, pp.63-91, 2003.
- W.T.Jeon, "A Study on Adaptation and Self-Identity according to the Main Social Background of North Korean Defectors", Korean Unification Studies, Vol.1, No.2, pp.109-167, 1997.
- I.J.Yoon, "The situation of North Korean defectors finding employment and maladjustment", Social Science Society Conference of Korea Society, pp.247-252, 2000.
- J.B.Seol and E.H.Song, "The Effect of Female North Korean refugees' Self-esteem and Economic Adaptation on Their Satisfaction with Life in South Korea". THE JOURNAL OF PEACE STUDIES, Vol.14, No.4, pp.291-314, 2013.
- J.M. Lee and S.Y. Hwang, "Identifying Factors Affecting the Adaptation of North Korean Refugees in South Korea", Social Welfare Policy, No.33, pp.61-84, 2008.
- Gil, A. G., Vega, W. A., and Dimas, J. M. "Acculturative stress and personal adjustment among Hispanic adolescent boys". Journal of Community Psychology, Vol.22, No.1, pp.43-54, 1994.
- Brislin, R. W., Landis, D., and Brandt, M. E. "Conceptualizations of intercultural behavior and training". Handbook of Intercultural Training, Vol.1, , No.1, pp.1-35, 1983.
- Berry, J. W. "Acculturation: Living successfully in two cultures". International Journal of Intercultural Relations, Vol.29, No.6, pp.697-712, 2005.
- J.M.Chae, "Psychological and Cultural Adaptation Mechanism and Adjustment Behavior of North Korean Defectors in South Korea". Korea University Graduate School Doctoral Dissertation, 2003.
- D.H.Kim, "Study on the Effect of Marriage Immigrant Women on Parenting Efficacy: Focusing on Mediating Effects of Cultural Adaptation", Ewha Womans University Graduate School Doctoral Dissertation, 2008.
- J.A.Jo et al. "Sa-ter-min's Cultural Conflict and Cultural Integration Plan", Korea Women's Development Institute Research Report, 2006.
- H.S.Park, "Improvement plan of the "Act on the Protection and Settlement Support of Residents Escaping from North Korea" to establish a "Framework Act on Social Security"". The Journal of Legal Studies, Vol.52, pp.401-420, 2013.
- J.W.Moon, "The relationship the social enterprise and the residents escaping from North Korea". ophthalmology, No.46, pp.157-197, 2015.
- T.Kim. "A Study on Smart Warning Triangle," Journal of The Korea Internet of Things Society, Vol.4, No.1, pp.37-41, 2018. https://doi.org/10.20465/KIOTS.2018.4.1.037