- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Usefulness of Chlorine Dioxide to Airborne Bacteria at a Hospital Using Biological Information
생물학적 정보를 활용한 병원에서 존재하는 공기중 부유 세균에 대한 이산화염소의 유용성
- Jung, Suk-Yul (Molecular Diagnostics Research Institute, Dept. of Biomedical Laboratory Science, Namseoul University)
- 정석률 (남서울대학교 임상병리학과 분자진단연구소)
- Received : 2020.02.25
- Accepted : 2020.04.12
- Published : 2020.06.30
In the present study, using biological information of bacteria and biochemical information of chlorine dioxide gas, Gram-positive bacteria, e.g., Alloiococcus otitis, Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae, Staphylococcus caprae, Staphylococcus lentus, and gram-negative bacteria, e.g., Acinetobacter baumannii complex, Aeromonas salmonicida, Brucella melitensis, Oligella ureolytica were used whether a plastic kit to release ClO2 gas could inhibit their growth. Overall, chlorine dioxide gas showed about 99% inhibition of bacterial growth, with less than 10 CFU. However, it was found that Gram positive Alloiococcus otitis and Gram negative Aeromonas salmonicida had more than about 50 CFU. When comparing the results of experiments with several bacteria, it suggested that the concentration of chlorine dioxide gas would be at least 10 ppm to 400 ppm for the bacterial inhibition. The results of this study could be used as basic data to evaluate the clinical usefulness of chlorine dioxide gas. If this study helps with prior knowledge to help clinicians to recognize and prevent the presence of micro-organisms that cause infections in hospitals, it would be helpful for activities such as patient care as a convergence field. In the future, it is considered that the research results will be the basis for rapidly inhibiting the microbes infected with patients by utilizing data of the information of the microbes that are inhibited for chlorine dioxide gas.
- H.Chung, H.Kim, D.Myeong, S.Kim and N.H.Choe, "Effect of chlorine dioxide gas application to egg surface: microbial reduction effect, quality of eggs, and hatchability", Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour., Vol.38, No.3, pp.487-497, 2018. https://doi.org/10.5851/KOSFA.2018.38.3.487
- M.Y.Fukayama, H.Tan, W.B.Wheeler and C.I.Wei, "Reactions of aqueous chlorine and chlorine dioxide with model food compounds", Environ. Health Perspect., Vol.69, pp.267-274, 1986.
- H.Kim, B.Yum, S.S.Yoon, K.J.Song, J.R.Kim,D. Myeong, B.Chang and N.H.Choe, "Inactivation of Salmonella on eggshells by chlorine dioxide gas", Korean J. Food Sci. An., Vol.36, No.1, pp.100-108, 2016.
- J.J.Lowe, S.G.Gibbs, P.C.Iwen, P.W.Smith and A.L.Hewlett, "Decontamination of a hospital room using gaseous chlorine dioxide: Bacillus anthracis, Francisella tularensis, and Yersinia pestis", J. Occup. Environ. Hyg., Vol.10, No.10, pp.533-539, 2013.
- H.Morino, T.Fukuda, T.Miura, C.Lee, T.Shibata and T.Sanekata, "Inactivation of feline calicivirus, a norovirus surrogate, by chlorine dioxide gas", Biocontrol Sci., Vol.14, No.4, pp.147-153, 2009.
- K.V.Sy, K.H.McWatters and L.R.Beuchat, "Efficacy of gaseous chlorine dioxide as a sanitizer for killing Salmonella , yeasts, and molds on blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries", J. Food Prot., Vol.68, No.6, pp.1165-1175, 2005.
- V.M.Gmez-Lpez, A.Rajkovic, P.Ragaert, N.Smigic and F.Devlieghere, "Chlorine dioxide for minimally processed produce preservation: a review", Trends Food Sci. Technol., Vol.20, No.1, pp.17-26, 2009.
- N.Ogata, T.Shibata, "Protective effect of low-concentration chlorine dioxide gas against influenza A virus infection", J. Gen. Virol., Vol.89, No.1, pp.60-67, 2008.
- S.P.Meneghin, F.C.Reis, P.G.de Almeida and S.R.Ceccato-Antonini, "Chlorine dioxide against bacteria and yeasts from the alcoholic fermentation", Braz. J. Microbiol., Vol.39, No.2, pp.337-343, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1517-838220080002000026
- N.Ogata, M.Sakasegawa, T.Miura, T.Shibata, Y.Takigawa, K.Taura, K.Taguchi, K.Matsubara, K.Nakahara, D.Kato, K.Sogawa and H.Oka, "Inactivation of airborne bacteria and viruses using extremely low concentrations of chlorine dioxide gas", Pharmacol., Vol.97, No.5-6, pp.301-306, 2016.
- F.Xu, S.Wang, J.Xu, S.Liu and G.Li, "Effects of combined aqueous chlorine dioxide and UV-C on shelf-life quality of blueberries", Postharvest. Biol. Technol., Vol.117, pp.125-131, 2016.
- H.G.Kim, K.B.Song, "Combined treatment with low concentrations of aqueous and gaseous chlorine dioxide inactivates Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Salmonella typhimurium inoculated on paprika", J. Microbiol. Biotechnol., Vol.27, No.3, pp.492-499, 2017.
- A.Harimaya, R.Takada, P.H.Hendolin, N.Fujii, J.Ylikoski and T.Himi, "High incidence of Alloiococcus otitidis in children with otitis media, despite treatment with antibiotics", J. Clin. Microbiol., Vol.44, No.3, pp.946-949, 2006.
- H.Faden, D.Dryja, "Recovery of a unique bacterial organism in human middle ear fluid and its possible role in chronic otitis media", J. Clin. Microbiol., Vol.27, No.11, pp.2488-2491, 1989.
- A.V.Gravenitz, "Revised nomenclature of Alloiococcus otitis ", J. Clin. Microbiol., Vol.31, No.2, pp.472, 1993.
- S.Veraldi, V.Girgenti, F.Dassoni and R.Gianotti, "Erysipeloid: a review", J. Clin. Exp. Dermatol., Vol.34, No.8, pp.859-862, 2009.
- J.d'Ersu, G.G.Aubin, P.Mercier, P.Nicollet, P.Bmer and S.Corvec, "Characterization of Staphylococcus caprae clinical isolates inVolved in human bone and joint infections, compared with goat mastitis isolates", Clin. Vet. Microbiol., Vol.54, No.1, pp.106-113, 2016.
- S.Stepanovi, I.Daki, A.Martel, M.Vaneechoutte, D.Morrison, A.Shittu, P.Jeek, A.Decostere, L.A.Devriese and F.Haesebrouck, "A comparative evaluation of phenotypic and molecular methods in the identification of members of the Staphylococcus sciuri group", System. Appl. Microbiol., Vol.28, No.4, pp.353-357, 2005.
- M.F.Lin, C.Y.Lan, "Antimicrobial Resistance in Acinetobacter baumannii : From Bench to Bedside", World J. Clin. Cases, Vol.2, No.12, pp.787-814, 2014.
- S.Menanteau-Ledouble, G.Kumar, M.Saleh and M.El-Matbouli, "Aeromonas salmonicida : updates on an old acquaintance", Dis. Aquat. Oragn, Vol.120, No.1, pp.49-68, 2016.
- S.V.Pisarenko, D.A.Kovalev, A.S.Volynkina, D.G.Ponomarenko, D.V.Rusanova, N.V.Zharinova, A.A.Khachaturova, L.E.Tokareva, I.G.Khvoynova and A.N.Kulichenko, "Global eVolution and phylogeography of Brucella melitensis strains", BMC Genomics, Vol.19, No.1, pp.353, 2018.
- A.Pagotto, S.Merluzzi, P.Pillinini and M.Valeri, "Bloodstream infection with Oligella ureolytica : a case report and review of the literature", Infez. Med. Vol.24, No.1, pp.58-61, 2016.
- K.M.Jung, G.W.Lee, M.A.Cho, K.J.Song and S.Y.Jung, "Effect of chlorine dioxide in reduction of harmful microbes on fermented hot pepper paste", Food Sci. Biotechnol., Vol.28, No.6, pp.1795-1800, 2019.
- S.Y.Jeong, O.S.Kim and J.Y.Lee, "The status of Healthcare-associated Infection Control among Healthcare Facilities in Korea" J. Digital Policy & Management, Vol.12, No.5, pp.353-366, 2014.
- S.W.Jeung, C.H.Lim and I.G.You, "A Study on the Measurement of Bacterial Contamination of MRI Examination Equipment and Disinfection Conditions", J. Digital Policy & Management, Vol.11, No.12, pp.665-672, 2013.
- C.W.Seo, Y.B.Yu, K.S.Shin and Y.K.Kim, "Distribution of Yeast Isolated from Clinical Specimens at a University Hospital in last Five Years, J. Digital Policy & Management, Vol.12, No.9, pp.237-244, 2014.
- K.J.Song KJ, S.Y.Jung, "Biocidal effects of chlorine dioxide on isolated and identified pathogens from nosocomial environment biochemical and technical convergence", J. Digit. Converg., Vol.15, No.6, pp.339-344, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.6.339
- J.J.Lowe, S.G.Gibbs, P.C.Iwen, P.W.Smith and A.L.Hewlett, "Impact of chlorine dioxide gas sterilization on nosocomial organism viability in a hospital room", Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, Vol.10, No.6, pp.2596-2605, 2013.
- Z.Zhu, Y.Guo, P.Yu, X.Wang, X.Zhang, W.Dong, X.Liu and C.Guo, "Chlorine dioxide inhibits the replication of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus by blocking viral attachment", Infect. Genet. Evol., Vol.67, pp.78-87, 2019.
- K.M.Yang, "The effect of self-esteem and depression on smartphone addiction among university students", J. Korea Converg. Soc., Vol.7, No.1, pp.113-123, 2016.