- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Hardware Structures of the IoT Device Platforms for the Minimal Power Consumption
소비 전력 최소화를 위한 IoT 디바이스 플랫폼의 하드웨어 구조 분석
- Lee, Jin (Department of Information and Communication, Pyeongtaek University)
- 이진 (평택대학교 정보통신학과)
- Received : 2020.03.21
- Accepted : 2020.05.30
- Published : 2020.06.30
Since the end devices of the Internet of Things (IoT) are battery operated products, careful consideration for ultra-low power (ULP) is required. The Micro Controller Unit (MCU) industry has developed very effective functions to save energy, but developers have difficulty in selecting the MCU because various operating modes are applied to reduce energy consumption by manufacturers. Therefore, this paper introduces ULPMark benchmark, a standardized benchmark method that can compare MCUs of various vendors and feature sets, and provides hardware functions for ultra-low-power operation of the two platforms that received the high evaluation scores from ULPMark. In addition, we investigated and analyzed how developers can utilize the functions for ultra low power consumption through driver APIs and detailed register control.
- K.J.Singh, and D.S.Kapoor, "Create Your Own Internet of Things: A Survey of IoT Platforms," IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, Vol.6, No.2, pp.57-63, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCE.2016.2640718
- A.Potsch, A.Berger, and A.Springer, "Efficient Analysis of Power Consumption Behaviour of Embedded Wireless IoT Systems," Proc. of 2017 IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference (I2MTC), 2017.
- S.M.R.Islam, D.Kwak, M.D.H.Kabir, M.Hossain, and K. Kwak, "The Internet of Things for Health Care: A Comprehensive Survey," IEEE Access, Vol.3, pp.278-708, 2015.
- L.Chettri, and R.Bera, "A Comprehensive Survey on Internet of Things (IoT) Toward 5G Wireless Systems," IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Vol.7, No.1, pp.16-32, 2020.
- D.W.Lee, K.Cho, and S.H.Lee, "Analysis on Smart Factory in IoT Environment," Journal of The Korea Internet of Things Society, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp.1-5, 2019.
- J.G.Baek, H.W.Lee, "Design and Implementation of Self-installing Agricultural Automation System for Remote Monitoring and Control Based on LPWA Technology," Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 13-19, 2017.
- S.Dokko, "Design of Smart Feeding System based on the LPWA Network for Inland Fish Farms," Vol.2, No.3, pp. 31-35, 2016.
- M.Redon, "Strategies for Choosing the Appropriate Microcontroller when Developing Ultra Low Power Systems," Analog Dialogue, Vol.51, No.12, pp.1-4, 2017.
- S.Schauer, and P.Parakash, "IoT Provokes Change in Ultra-Low-Power MCUs," Texas Instruments, [Online], Available: http://www.ti.com/lit/wp/sway005/sway005.pdf
- White Paper, "Beyond the Data Sheets of Ultra-Low-Power MCUs: What Does Energy Efficiency Really Mean?" [Online], Available: https://www.eembc.org/techlit/articles/elektroniknet_article_2015_07_21/index.html
- AN4621 Application Note, "STM32L4 and STM32L4+ultra-low-power features overview, [Online], Available: https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/9e/9b/ca/a3/92/5d/44/ff/DM00148033.pdf/files/DM00148033.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00148033.pdf
- AN2909, Application Note, "Low-Power Features of SAM L Series Devices," [Online], Available: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/Appnotes/Low-Power-Features-SAML-00002709A.pdf
- UM1884, User Manual, "Description of STM32L4/L4+HAL and low-layer drivers," [Online], Available: https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/63/a8/8f/e3/ca/a1/4c/84/DM00173145.pdf/files/DM00173145.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00173145.pdf
- Microchip Developer Help, [Online], Available: https://microchipdeveloper.com/32arm:saml10-sleepmodes