- Volume 21 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Mediating Effect of Self-efficacy between the Elderly's Digital Information Literacy and Life Satisfaction
노인의 디지털 정보활용능력과 삶의 만족도의 관계에서 자기효능감의 매개효과 분석
- Choi, Hyeong-Im (Dept. of Social Welfare, Yeungjin Cyber College) ;
- Song, Inuk (Dept. of Social Welfare, Daegu Cyber University)
- Received : 2020.03.05
- Accepted : 2020.06.05
- Published : 2020.06.30
This study examined the mediating effects of self-efficacy on the relationships between digital information literacy and life satisfaction among the elderly. For this study, data were gathered from 396 adults over the age of 60 years in a welfare center for senior citizens in D Metropolitan City. Hierarchical regression analysis was performed to verify the mediating effects of self-efficacy on the relationship between digital information literacy and life satisfaction of the elderly. The analysis showed that the digital information literacy and self-efficacy were positively correlated. Moreover, higher digital information literacy had a positive effect on self-efficacy. Furthermore, the level of information literacy using digital devices had a positive effect on their life satisfaction. Therefore, the satisfaction of life in old age is increased by the medium of self-efficacy. Based on these findings, several measures for improving digital information literacy were discussed.
- KOSTAT, Age distribution in South Korea 2018, 2019.
- S. M. Min, "The Effect of Smartphone Education on the Quality of Life, Self-efficacy, Well-being for the Elderly", Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, Vol.9, No.5, pp.165-171, 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2019.9.5.165 https://doi.org/10.22156/CS4SMB.2019.9.5.165
- B. J. Lee, S. H. Myeong, "An Exploratory Study on the Internet Application of the Elderly and Their Social Network", Journal of Korean Association for Regional Information Society, Vol.14, No.3, pp.269-293, 2010.
- K. H. Ju, D. S. Kim, J. H. Kim, "Analysis of Factors Influencing Digital Divide on Elderly and Difference of Gender", Social Welfare Policy, Vol.45, No.1, pp.209-234, 2018. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15855/swp.2018.45.2.95
- M. S. Jung, Y. R. Lee, "A Study on the Influence of the Satisfaction of the Internet Use on the Life Satisfaction of the Elderly: A Mediating Effect of Self-efficacy", Andragogy Today: International Journal of Adult and Continuing Education, Vol.15, No.1, pp.63-85, 2012.
- M. R. Kim, S. J. Kwon, C. S. Park, "Babyboomer's Use of Information Technology and It's Effect on the Digital Life Satisfaction-The Mediating Effect of the Self mastery", Journal of Welfare for the Aged, Vol.57, pp.113-136, 2012. DOI: http://doi.org/10.21194/kjgsw..57.201209.113
- H. S. Lim, The effect of elderly people's use of information on their life satisfaction, Doctor's Thesis, Graduated School of Daegu Haany University, Deagu, Korea, 2010.
- Y. J. Shin, M. J. Koo, "An explorative study on computer education for the elderly and their life satisfaction", Andragogy Today: International Journal of Adult and Continuing Education, Vol.13, No.4, pp.119-147, 2010.
- M. Y. Kim, Y. H. Kang, D. Y. Jung, G. J. Lee, "Older Adults' Smart Phone Use and Access to Health Information", Journal of Qualitative Research, Vol.14, No.1, pp.13-22, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2013.14.1.13 https://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2013.14.1.13
- S. J. Yang, K. H. Yoon, H. S. Kim, "Mobile Health for Health Management of the Elderly", Korean journal of clinical geriatrics, Vol.17, No.1, pp.1-6, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15656/kjcg.2016.17.1.1 https://doi.org/10.15656/kjcg.2016.17.1.1
- S. T. An, J. Y. Lee, "Older Adults' Health Promotion via Mobile Application The effect of Self-efficacy and Social Stigma", Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol.63, No.2, pp.113-142, 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.20879/kjjcs.2019.63.2.004
- H. Yoon, Othelia Lee, K. Beum, Y. Gim, "Effects of Online Social Relationship on Depression among Older Adults in South Korea", Journal of the Korea Contents Associate, Vol.16, No.5, pp.623-637, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.05.623
- Y. J. Lee, "The Effect of Information Condition on Mental Health among Elderly", The Journal of Digital Policy and Management, Vol.11, No.10, pp.17-29, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.10.017
- J. H. Ahn, K. C. Lim, Y. J. Lee, K. S. Kim, "Effects of Computer/Internet Game Play on Depression and Life Satisfaction among the Elderly: Mediating Effects of Perceived Self-Control", Journal of the Korea Contents Associate, Vol.11, No.7, pp.406-417, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.7.406 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.7.406
- H. White, "A randomized controlled trail of thpsychosocial impact of providing internet training and access to older adults", Journal of Aging and Mental Health, Vol.6, No.3, pp.213-221, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860220142422 https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860220142422
- S. Sum, R. Mathews, I. Hughes, A. Campbell, "Internet use and loneliness in older adults", Cyber Psychology And Behavior, Vol.1, No.2, pp.208-211, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2007.0010
- J. van Deursen, J. van Dijk, "The digital divide shifts to differences in usage", New media & society, Vol.16, No.3, pp.507-526, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444813487959 https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444813487959
- Ministry of Science and ICT, National Information Society Agency, "The Report on the Digital Divide 2018", 2019.
- P. K. Adelman, "Multiple roles and psychological well-being in a national sample of older adults", Journal of Gerontology: Social Science, Vol.49, No.6, pp.277-285, 1994. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11199-006-9134-8
- W. S. Kang, M. S. Kim, J. U. Ko, "Effects of the Smartphone Information Use and Performance on Life Satisfaction among the Elderly", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, Vol.33, No.1, pp.199-214, 2013.
- M. Y. Kim, H. J. Jun, "The Effects of Smartphone Use on Life Satisfaction in Older Adults: The Mediating Role of Participation in Social Activities", Korean Journal of Gerontological Social Welfare, Vol.72, No.3, pp.343-370, 2017. https://doi.org/10.21194/KJGSW.72.3.201709.343
- G. M. Park, M. A. Kim, "Effects of Internet utilization on life satisfaction for the middle-aged and the older adults with physical disabilities: an analysis of the moderating effect of participation in social and economic activities", Journal of Disability and Welfare, Vol.34, pp.99-131, 2019.
- H. Y. Cho, A Study on the quality of life at old age in accordance with internet usage, Master's thesis, The Graduate School of Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, Korea, 2003.
- M. J. Kwak, S. E. Roh, Y. G. Kwak, "The Effect of Informatization Education Satisfaction of Elderly Welfare Center on Elderly Information Usage and Life Satisfaction", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.17, No.3, pp.486-495, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.03.486
- A. Bandura, Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. NewYork: Freeman and company, 1997.
- P. S. Kim, H. S. Kim, M. S. Lee, "The Effect of the Elderly's Information Application Level on Quality of Life", Journal of the Korean Association for Regional Information Society, Vol.17, No.1, pp.25-47, 2014.
- Y. E. Kim, Y. S. Lee, "The effect of social support of elderly people using welfare center on happiness : Mediating effect of self-efficacy", Korean journal of gerontological social welfare, Vol.72, No.4, pp.217-238, 2017. DOI: http://doi.org/10.21194/kjgsw.72.4.201712.217 https://doi.org/10.21194/kjgsw.72.4.201712.217
- I. Y. Jing, "The Influence of the Social Support and the Self-Efficacy on the Life Satisfaction of the Elderly: Focusing on the Mediating Effect of the Ego-Integrity", The Journal of Korea Society for Wellness, Vol.12, No.4, pp.423-438, 2017. DOI: http://doi.org/10.21097/ksw.2017.11.12.4.423 https://doi.org/10.21097/ksw.2017.11.12.4.423
- S. Tedman, E. Thornton, G. Baker, "Development of a scale to measure core beliefs and perceived self efficacy in adult with epilepsy", Seizure-European Journal of Epilepsy, Vol.4, No.3, pp.221-231, Sep. 1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/s1059-1311(05)80065-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1059-1311(05)80065-2
- S. G. Robinson, E. R. Pizzi, "Maximizing stroke recovery using patient self-care, self-efficacy", Rehabil Uurs, Vol.28, No.2, pp.48-51, 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2048-7940.2003.tb02028.x
- A. Bandura, Social foundations of thought and action: a social cognitive theory. New York: Prentice-Hall, 1986.
- B. Oldenburg, K. Glanz, M. French, "The application of staging models to the understanding of health behavior change and the promotion of health", Psychol Health, Vol.14, pp.503-516, 1999. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/08870449908407343 https://doi.org/10.1080/08870449908407343
- M. S. Lee, "A Study on the Mediating Effect of Self-efficacy on the Relationship between Economic Status and Successful aging among the Elderly", Journal of Welfare for the Aged, Vol.57, pp.289-313, 2012. DOI: http://doi.org/10.21194/kjgsw..57.201209.289