- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Derivation of Optimum Operating Conditions for Electrical Resistance Heating to Enhance the Flushing Effect of Heavy Oil Contaminated Soil
중질유 오염토양의 세정효과를 증진시키기 위한 전기저항가열의 최적 운전조건 도출
- Lee, Hwan (SG Institute of Environment Science & Technology) ;
- Jung, Jaeyun (Daeil Engineering and Construction Co., Ltd) ;
- Kang, Doore (Daeil Engineering and Construction Co., Ltd) ;
- Lee, Cheolhyo (Daeil Engineering and Construction Co., Ltd)
- Received : 2020.05.15
- Accepted : 2020.06.08
- Published : 2020.06.30
This study evaluated the applicability of the convergence technology by deriving the optimum conditions about operating factors of electrical resistance heating to enhance the soil flushing effect on soil contaminated with bunker C oil in the coastal landfill area. As a result of the batch scale experiment, the flushing efficiency of the VG-2020 was higherthan that of the Tween-80, and the flushing efficiency increased by about 1.4 times at 60℃ compared to room temperature. As a result of the electrical resistance heating box experiment, soil temperature rose to 100℃ in about 40~80 minutes in soil with water content of 20~40%, and it was found that the heat transfer efficiency is excellent when the pipe-shaped electrode rod with STS 316 material is located in a triangular arrangement in saturated soil. In addition, it was confirmed that the interval between the electrode rods to maintain the soil temperature above 60℃ under the optimum conditions was 1.5 m, and the soil flushing box experiment accompanying electrical resistance heating showed TPH reduction efficiency of about 55% at 5 Pore Volume, and satisfied the Korean standard for the conservation of soil (less than TPH 2,000 mg/kg) at 10 Pore Volume.
- Beyke G, Fleming D. 2005. In situ thermal remediation of DNAPL and LNAPL using electrical resistance heating. Wiley Periodicals Inc.
- Beyke G. 2002. Enhanced removal of separate phase viscous fuel by eletrical resistance heating. 9th Annual International Petroleum Environmental Conference. Thermal Remediation Services Inc. Marietta. GA.
- Gu CW, Ko SO. 2004. Soil heating method for the removal of semi-volatile organic contaminants from soils. Proceedings of KSEE. Kyungsung Univ. 513-519. [Korean Literature]
- Heron G, Zutphen MV, Christensen TH. 1998. Soil heating for enhaced remediation of chlorinated solvents: a laboratory study on resistive heating and vapor extracton in a silty, low permeable soil contaminated with trichloroethylene. Environ Sci. Technol. 32(10): 1474-1481. https://doi.org/10.1021/es970563j
- Jung JY, Lee CH, Kang DR, Lee H. 2019. Application test of thermal treatment for recovery of intermediate oil free phase in coastal area. Proceedings of KoSSGE Spring Meeting. [Korean Literature]
- KOSHA MSDS. Bunker Fuel CAS No. 68553-00-42018.
- Kwon NJ. 1999. Marine pollution accident staturs and countermeasures. Journal of KPA. 9: 58-61. [Korean Literature]
- Naval Facilities Engineering Service center (NFESC). 1998. Application guide for thermal desorption system. Port Huenene : NFESC.
- Ojuri OO, Ola SA. 2010. Modelling LNAPL plume breakthrough and saltwater intrusion for a coastal site in the south-western nigeria. AU J.T. 14(2): 119-130.
- Seol Y, Zhang H, Schwartz FW. 2003. A review on in-situ chemical oxidation and heterogeneity. Journal of Environmental and Engineering Geoscience. 9(1): 37-49. https://doi.org/10.2113/9.1.37
- Shin YS, Han SW, Jeon JH. 2009. Analysis of mid-to long-term effects of marine oil spill accidents and plans to improve the system. Research report of KEI. [Korean Literature]
- Speight JG, Arjoon K. 2012. Bioremediation of petroleum and petroleum products. Wiley & Sons and Scrivener Publishing. Hoboken and Salem. USA. 97.
- Thermal Remediation Services INC. Three Phase Heating? Six Phase Heating? Which is Better?. http://www.thermalrs.com.
- Yun YB, Ko SO, Park GH, Park MH. 2006. Heating characteristics of the soils for the application of electrical resistance heating with soil vapor extraction. Journal of KoSSGE. 11(1): 45-53. [Korean Literature]