- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Adsorption Study of IAQ Index CO2
실내공기질 지표 이산화탄소 농도제어를 위한 흡착연구
- Wang, Jie (Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Jo, Young Min (Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Oh, Jongmin (Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Heo, Jeong Sook (Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2020.04.17
- Accepted : 2020.05.27
- Published : 2020.06.30
In this study, electrospun nanofibers made of PAN (polyacrylonitrile) were activated through a physical method to obtain an optimized pore structure. In particular, to enhance the surface alkalinity, the activated carbon fibers (ANFs) were impregnated with tetraethylenepentamine (TEPA) with the aid of HNO3. Then, the low level (3,000 ppm) CO2 adsorption capacity for each ANF sample was evaluated. The specific surface area of ANFs increased from 308.4 ㎡/g to 839.4 ㎡/g and the total pore volume increased from 7.882 ㎤/g to 27.50 ㎤/g. Although the TEPA impregnation reduced the specific surface area and pore volume of the ANFs due to blocking of micropores, the HNO3 pre-oxidation enhanced the amino groups tethered, increasing the amine content from 6.42% to 17.19%, and finally, increased the adsorption capacity of CO2. This study showed that the sample 60-ANF-HNO3-TEPA, which was activated for 60 minutes and was impregnated with HNO3 and TEPA, had the best adsorption capacity for low level (0.3%) CO2 (in a binary mixture with N2).
Adelodun AA, Lim YH, Jo YM. 2014a. Effect of UV-C on pre-oxidation prior amination for preparation of a selective
$CO_2$adsorbent. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis. 105: 191-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaap.2013.11.004
Adelodun AA, Lim YH, Jo YM. 2014b. Stabilization of potassium-doped activated carbon by amination for improved
$CO_2$selective capture. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis. 108: 151-159. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaap.2014.05.005
Adelodun AA, Jo YM. 2013. Integrated basic treatment of activated carbon for enhanced
$CO_2$selectivity. Applied Surface Science. 286(1): 306-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2013.09.076
Chiang YC, Chen YJ, Wu CY. 2017. Effect of relative humidity on adsorption breakthrough of
$CO_2$on activated carbon fibers. Materials. 10(11): 1296. https://doi.org/10.3390/ma10111296
- Chingombe P, Saha B, Wakeman RJ. 2005. Surface modification and characterisation of a coal-based activated carbon. Carbon. 43(15): 3132-3143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2005.06.021
- Han Y, Li R, Bruckner C, Vadas TM. 2018. Controlling the surface oxygen groups of polyacrylonitrile-based carbon nanofiber membranes while limiting fiber degradation. Journal of Carbon Research. 4(3): 40. https://doi.org/10.3390/c4030040
Houshmand A, Wan Daud WMA, Shafeeyan MS. 2011. Exploring potential methods for anchoring amine groups on the surface of activated carbon for
$CO_2$adsorption. Separation Science and Technology. 46(7): 1098-1112. https://doi.org/10.1080/01496395.2010.546383
Hwang SH, Kim DW, Jung DW, Jo YM. 2016. Impregnation of nitrogen functionalities on activated carbon fiber adsorbents for low-level
$CO_2$capture. Jouranl of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment. 32(2): 176-183. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2016.32.2.176
Jiao J, Cao J, Xia Y, Zhao LZ. 2016. Improvement of adsorbent materials for
$CO_2$capture by amine functionalized mesoporous silica with worm-hole framework structure. Chemical Engineering Journal. 306(15): 9-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2016.07.041
Lim G, Lee KB, Ham HC. 2016. Effect of Ncontaining functional groups on
$CO_2$adsorption of carbonaceous materials: A density functional theory approach. The Journal of Physical Chemistry. 120(15): 8087-8095.
Lim HH, Lim YH, Jo YM. 2012. Characterization of AC-based adsorbents for
$CO_2$capture. Journal of Korean Society for Indoor Environment. 9(1): 9-18. [Korean Literature]
Lim HY. 2014.
$CO_2$capture using amino acid salts and fixation by alkali aqueous solution. Ph.D. dissertation. Kyung Hee University, Seoul. [Korean Literature]
- Lim YH, Adelodun AA, Kim DW, Jo YM. 2016. Surface impregnation of glycine to activated carbon adsorbent for dry capture of carbon dioxide. Asian Journal of Atmospheric Environment. 10(2): 99-113. https://doi.org/10.5572/ajae.2016.10.2.099
- Mahardiani L, Saputro S, Baskoro F, Zinki NM, Taufiq M. 2019. Facile synthesis of carboxylated activated carbon using green approach for water treatment. IOP Conferences Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 578: 012003. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/578/1/012003
Masoud JL, Soheil K, Abdelhamid S. 2019. Stability of amine-functionalized
$CO_2$adsorbents: a multifaceted puzzle. Chemical Society Reviews. 48(12): 3320-3405. https://doi.org/10.1039/C8CS00877A
Nausika Q, Plaza MG, Rubiera F, Pevida C. 2016. Water vapor adsorption on biomass based carbons under post-Combustion
$CO_2$capture conditions: Effect of posttreatment. Materials. 9(5): 359. https://doi.org/10.3390/ma9050359
- Pascal D, Robert S, Saskia H. 2018. Non-linear thermogravimetric mass spectrometry of carbon materials providing direct speciation separation of oxygen functional groups. Carbon. 130: 614-622. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2018.01.047
Plaza MG, Pevida C, Arenillas A, Rubiera F, Pis JJ. 2007.
$CO_2$capture by adsorption with nitrogen enriched carbons. Fuel. 86(14): 2204-2212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2007.06.001
Rao N, Wang M, Shang ZM, Hou YW, Fan GZ, Li JF. 2018.
$CO_2$adsorption by aminefunctionalized MCM-41: A comparison between impregnation and grafting modification methods. Energy Fuels. 32(1): 670-677. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.7b02906
- Rajagopalan R, Balakrishnan A. 2018. Innovations in Engineered Porous Materials for Energy Generation and Storage Applications. CRC Press. 116.
- Rivera-Utrilla J, Sanchez-Polo M, Gamez-Serrano V, Alvarez PM, Alvim-Ferraz, MCM, Dias JM. 2011. Activated carbon modifications to enhance its water treatment applications: An overview. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 187(1-3): 1-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2011.01.033
- Ros TG, Dillen AJ, Geus JW, Koningsberger DC. 2002. Surface Oxidation of Carbon Nanofibres. A European Journal. 8(5): 1151-1162. https://doi.org/10.1002/1521-3765(20020301)8:5<1151::AID-CHEM1151>3.0.CO;2-#
Satish U, Mendell MJ, Shekhar K, Hotchi T, Sullivan D, Streufert S, Fisk WJ. 2012. Is
$CO_2$an indoor pollutant? Direct effects of low-to-moderate $CO_2$concentrations on human decision-making performance. Environmental Health Perspectives. 120(12): 1671-1677. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.1104789
- Shafeeyan MS, Wan Daud WMA, Houshmand A, Shamiri A. 2010. A review on surface modification of activated carbon for carbon dioxide adsorption. Jouranl of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis. 89(2): 143-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaap.2010.07.006
- Thakur VK, Thakur MK. 2015. Chemical Functionalization of Carbon Nanomaterials: Chemistry and Applications, CRC Press LCC.
- Tiwari S, Bijwe J, Panier S. 2011. Tribological studies on Polyetherimide composites based on carbon fabric with optimized oxidation treatment. Wear. 271(9-10): 2252-2260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2010.11.052
- Tran MQ, Ho KC, Kalinka G, Shaffer SP, Bismarck A. 2008. Carbon fibre reinforced poly(vinylidene fluoride): Impact of matrix modification on fiber/polymer adhesion. Compsites Science and Technology. 68(7): 1766-1776. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2008.02.021
Vehvilainen T, Lindholm H, Rintamaki H, Paakkanen R, Hirvonen A, Niemi O, Vinha J. 2016. High indoor
$CO_2$concentrations in an office environment increases the transcutaneous $CO_2$level and sleepiness during cognitive work. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene. 13(1): 19-29. https://doi.org/10.1080/15459624.2015.1076160
- Vinke P, van der Eijk M, Verbree M, Voskamp AF, van Bekkum H. 1994. Modification of the surfaces of a gas-activated carbon and a chemically activated carbon with nitric acid, hypochlorite, and ammonia. Carbon. 32(4): 675-686. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-6223(94)90089-2
Wang JT, Wang M, Li WC, Qiao WM, Long DH, Ling LC. 2015. Application of polyethylenimineimpregnated solid adsorbents for direct capture of low-concentration
$CO_2$. The Global Home of Chemical Engineers. 61(3): 972-980.
- Wang XF, Li B. 2014. Electrospun nanofibrous sorbents and membranes for carbon dioxide capture, in Electrospun Nanofibers for Energy and Environment Applications. Edited by Ding, B., Yu, J. Y., Springer, Berlin. 249-263.
- Ye Q, Jiang JQ, Wang CX, Liu YM, Pan H, Shi Y. 2012. Adsorption of low-concentration carbon dioxide on amine-modified carbon nanotubes at ambient temperature. Energy Fuels. 26(4): 2497-2504. https://doi.org/10.1021/ef201699w
Yu J, Chuang SSC. 2017. The role of water in
$CO_2$capture by amine. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 56(21): 6337-6347. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.7b00715
- Zhang X, Pei X, Jia Q, Wang Q. 2009. Effects of CFs surface treatment on the tribological properties of 2D woven carbon fabric/ polyimide composites. Applied Physics A. 95(3): 793-799. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00339-009-5073-x