- Volume 29 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Applicability of Soilremediation Technology for Contaminated Sediment in Agro-livestock Reservoir
농축산저수지 오염퇴적토의 토양정화기술에 대한 적용성 연구
- Jung, Jaeyun (Department of Environmental Engineering, Kwangwoon University) ;
- Chang, Yoonyoung (Department of Environmental Engineering, Kwangwoon University)
- Received : 2019.12.12
- Accepted : 2020.05.13
- Published : 2020.06.30
Sediments from rivers, lakes and marine ports serve as end points for pollutants discharged into the water, and at the same time serve as sources of pollutants that are continuously released into the water. Until now, the contaminated sediments have been landfilled or dumped at sea. Landfilling, however, was expensive and dumping at sea was completely banned due to the London Convention. Therefore, this study applied contaminated sedimentation soil of 'Royal Palace Livestock Complex' as soil purification method. Soil remediation methods were applied to pretreatment, composting, soil washing, electrokinetics, and thermal desorption by selecting overseas application cases and domestically applicable application technologies. As a result of surveying the site for pollutant characteristics, Disolved Oxigen (DO), Suspended Solid (SS), Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD), Total Nitrogen (TN), and Total Phosphorus (TP) exceeded the discharged water quality standard, and especially SS, COD, TN, and TP exceeded the standard several tens to several hundred times. Soil showed high concentrations of copper and zinc, which promote the growth of pig feed, and cadmium exceeded 1 standard of Soil Environment Conservation Act. In the pretreatment technology, hydrocyclone was used for particle size separation, and the fine soil was separated by more than 80%. Composting was performed on organic and Total Petroleum Hydrocarbon (TPH) contaminated soils. TPH was treated within the standard of concern, and E. coli was analyzed to be high in organic matter, and the fertilizer specification was satisfied by applying the optimum composting conditions at 70℃, but the organic matter content was lower than the fertilizer specification. As a result of continuous washing test, Cd has 5 levels of residual material in fine soil. Cu and Zn were mostly composed of ion exchange properties (stage 1), carbonates (stage 2), and iron / manganese oxides (stage 3), which facilitate easy separation of contamination. As a result of applying acid dissolution and multi-stage washing step by step, hydrochloric acid, 1.0M, 1: 3, 200rpm, 60min was analyzed as the optimal washing factor. Most of the contaminated sediments were found to satisfy the Soil Environmental Conservation Act's standards. Therefore, as a result of the applicability test of this study, soil with high heavy metal contamination was used as aggregate by applying soil cleaning after pre-treatment. It was possible to verify that it was efficient to use organic and oil-contaminated soil as compost Maturity after exterminating contaminants and E. coli by applying composting.
- Jukes TH, Cantor CR. 1969. Evolution of protein molecules. In Mammalianprotein metabolism, 21-132. Edited by H. N. Munro. New York: Academic Press.
- Kim IJ, Hwang SI. 2009. Pollution Status of Domestic River Sediments: Literature Review and Management Direction. environmental forum Third volume No. 3rd. Korea Environment institute. [Korean Literature]
- Kim IJ, Hwang SI, Kim HJ. 2010. River and lake sediment management and dredged material utilization plan. Korea Environment institute. [Korean Literature]
- Kim K, Park SM, Kim J, Kim SH, Kim Y, Moon JT, Hwang GS, Cha WS. 2009. Arsenic concentration in porewater of an alkaline coal ash disposal site: Roles of siderite precipitation/dissolution and soil cover. Chemosphere 77, 222-227. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2009.07.029
- Tessier A, Campbell PGC, Bisson M. 1979. Sequential extraction procedure for the speciation of particulate trace metals. Analytical Chemistry 51, 844-851. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac50043a017
- Ministry of Environment. 2007. Guidelines for the method of remediation of contaminated soil. [Korean Literature]
- Ministry of Environment. 2010. A Study on the Management and Improvement of Animal Drainage in Iksan Palace Area. [Korean Literature]
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 1993. Questions and Answers About Contaminated Sediments, EPA 823-F-93-009. Office of Water, Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2005. Contaminated Sediment Remediation Guidance for Hazardous Waste, EPA 540-R-05-012. Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response
- Wenning RJ, Stern EA, Jones KW, Douglas WS. 2001. The WDRA program and emerging decontamination technologies for contaminated sediments, Contaminated Soil Sediment and Water.
- Wenzel WW, Kirchbaumer N, Prohaska T, Stingeder G, Lombi E, Adriano DC. 2001. Arsenic fractionation in soils using an improved sequential extraction procedure. Analytical Chimica Acta 436. 309-323. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(01)00924-2