- Volume 26 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Isotherm, Kinetic, and Thermodynamic Parameters for Reactive Blue 4 Dye Adsorption by Activated Carbon
활성탄에 의한 Reactive Blue 4 염료의 흡착에 대한 등온선, 동력학 및 열역학적 특성
- Lee, Jong-Jib (Department of Chemical Engineering, Kongju National University)
- 이종집 (공주대학교 화학공학부)
- Received : 2020.05.21
- Accepted : 2020.06.15
- Published : 2020.06.30
The isotherm, kinetic, and thermodynamic parameters of reactive blue 4 adsorbed by activated carbon were investigated for activated carbon dose, pH, initial concentration, contact time, and temperature data. The adsorption of the RB 4 dye by activated carbon showed a concave shape in which the percentage of adsorption increased in both directions starting from pH 7. The isothermal adsorption data were applied to Langmuir, Freundlich, and Temkin isotherms. Both Freundlich and Langmuir isothermal adsorption models fit well. From determined Freundlich separation factor (1/n = 0.125 ~ 0.232) and Langmuir separation factor (RL = 1.53 ~ 1.59), adsorption of RB 4 by activated carbon could be employed as an effective treatment method. The constant related to the adsorption heat (BT = 2.147 ~ 2.562 J mol-1) of Temkin showed that this process was physical adsorption. From kinetic experiments, the adsorption process followed the pseudo second order model with good agreement. The results of the intraparticle diffusion model showed that the inclination of the first straight line representing the surface diffusion was smaller than that of the second straight line representing the intraparticle pore diffusion. Therefore, it was confirmed that intraparticle pore diffusion is the rate-controlling step. The negative Gibbs free energy change (ΔG = -3.262 ~ -7.581 kJ mol-1) and the positive enthalpy change (ΔH = 61.08 kJ mol-1) indicated the spontaneous and endothermic nature of the adsorption process, proving this process to be spontaneous and endothermic.
- Lee, J. J., "Study on Equilibrium, Kinetic and Thermodynamic for Adsorption of Coomassi Brilliant Blue G Using Activated Carbon," Clean. Technol., 20(3), 290-297 (2014). https://doi.org/10.7464/ksct.2014.20.3.290
- Park, Y.-S., Lee, J.-Y., and Sohn, M.-J., "Regeneration Characteristics of Waste Adsorbent Made by Drinking Water Treatment Sludge," J. Korea Soc. Waste Manag., 36(5), 421-427 (2019). https://doi.org/10.9786/kswm.2019.36.5.421
- Lee, S. W., and Kim, D. K., "Removal Characteristics of Hydrogen Sulfide and Siloxane by Conditions of Inflow Mixture Gas with Iron Hydroxide-Activated Carbon Powder Composite," J. Korea Soc. Waste Manag., 36(2) 138-145 (2019). https://doi.org/10.9786/kswm.2019.36.2.138
- Epolito, W. J., Lee, Y. H., Bottomley, L. A., and Pavlostathis, S. G., "Characterization of the Textile Anthraquinone Dye RB 4," Dyes and Pigments, 67(1), 35-46 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2004.10.006
- Ozcan, A, Omeroglue, C., Erdogan, Y., and Ozcan, A. S., "Modification of Bentonite with a Cationic Surfactant: An Adsorption Study of Texttile Dye Reactive Blue 19," J. Hazard. Mater., 140(1-2), 173-179 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2006.06.138
- Damirbas, E., and Nas, M. Z., "Batch Kineticand Equilibrium Studies of Adsorption of Reactive Blue 21 by Fly Ash and Sepiolite," Desalination, 243(1-3), 8-21 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2008.04.011
- Isah U., Absulraheem, G., Bala, S., Muhammad, S., and Abdullahi, M., "Kinetics, Equlibrium and Thermodynamics Studies of C.I. Reactive Blue 19 Dye Adsorption on Coconut Shell Based Activated Carbon," Int. Biodeterior. Biodegra., 102, 265-273 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibiod.2015.04.006
- Argun, M. E., Guclu, D., and Karatas, M., "Adsorption of Reactive Blue 114 Dye by Using a New Adsorbent: Pomelo Peel," J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 20(3), 1079-1084 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2013.06.045
- Lee, J. J., "Adsorption Kinetic, Thermodynamic Parameter and Isosteric Heat for Adsorption of Crystal Violet by Activated Carbon," Appl. Chem. Eng., 28(2), 206-213 (2017).
- Lee, J. J., "Study on Adsorption Equilibrium, Kinetic and Thermodynamic Parameters of Murexide by Activated Carbon," Clean Technol., 25(1), 56-62 (2019).
- Sivakumar, P., and Palanisamy, P. N., "Adsorption Studies of Basic Red 29 by a Non Conventional Activated Carbon Prepared from Euphorbia Antiquorum L," Intl. J. Chem. Technol. Res., 1(3), 502-510 (2009).
- Kansal, S. K., Ali, A. H., and Kapoor, S., "Photocatalytic Decolorization of Biebrich Scarlet Dye in Aqueous Phase Using Different Nanophotocatalysts," Desalination, 259(1-3), 147-155 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2010.04.017
- Ghasemi, M., Naushad, M., Ghasemi, N., and Khosravifard, Y., "Adsorption of Pb(II) from Aqueous Solution Using New Adsorbents Prepared from Agricultural Waste: Adsorption Isotherm and Kinetic Studies," J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 20(4), 2193-2199 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2013.09.050
- Al-Kadhi, N. S., "The Kinetic and Thermodynamic Study of the Adsorption Lissamine Green B dye by Micro-particle of Wild Plants from Aqueous Solutions," Egypt. J. Aquat. Res., 45(3), 231-238 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejar.2019.05.004
Grecal, O., Ozcan, A., Ozcanan, A. S., and Grecel, H. F., "Preparation of Activated Carbon from a Renewable Bio-plant of Euphorbia Rigidia by
$H_2SO_4$Activation and Its Adsorption Behavior in Aqueous Solutions," Appl. Surf. Sci., 253(11), 4843-4852 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2006.10.053
- Lee, E. H., Lee, K. Y., Kim, K. W., Kim, H. J., Kim, I. S., Chung, D. Y., Moon, J. K., and Choi, J. W., "Removal of I by Adsorption with AgX (Ag-impregnated X Zeolite) from High-Radioactive Seawater Waste," J. Nucl. Fuel Cycle Waste Technol., 14(3), 223-234 (2016). https://doi.org/10.7733/jnfcwt.2016.14.3.223
- Pan, M., Lin, X., Vie, J., and Huang, X., "Kinetic, Equilibrium and Thermodynamic Studies for Phosphate Adsorption on Aluminum Hydroxide Modified Palygorskite Nano-Composites," Royal Soc. Chem., 7, 4492-4500 (2017).
- Souza, T. N. V., Carvalho, S. M. L., Vieira, M. G. A., Silva, M. G. C., and Brasil, D. S. B., "Adsorption of Basic Dyes onto Activated Carbon: Experimental and Theoretical Investigation of Chemical Reactivity of Basic Dyes Using DFT-based Descriptors," Appl. Surf. Sci., 448(1), 662-670 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2018.04.087