- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Clinical Practice Stress and Resilience on Nursing Students' Academic Burnout
- Shin, Sujin (College of Nursing, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Hwang, Eunhee (Department of Nursing, Wonkwang University)
- Received : 2019.12.24
- Accepted : 2020.03.17
- Published : 2020.06.30
The high degree of academic burnout experienced during academic life indicates that job skill levels during the first year following graduation are low, and the correlation with turnover intention is high. We investigated the effects of clinical practice stress and resilience on nursing students' burnout, and searched for factors that can prevent or control burnout. We recruited a convenience sample of 202 nursing students. Academic burnout, general characteristics, clinical practice stress, and resilience were assessed via self-reported questionnaires. The mean total score of academic burnout was 44.0 points; exhaustion was the highest at 18.5 points, inefficacy was 15.9 points, and cynicism was 9.6 points. High levels of clinical practice stress affected academic burnout (β=0.194, p=0.003), while high resilience was a factor that lowered the degree of academic burnout (β=-0.449, p<0.001). Based on our results, factors affecting students' experiences of academic burnout were clinical practice stress and resilience. We therefore propose the implementation of a new curriculum aimed at increasing satisfaction with the major, reducing clinical practice stress, and increasing resilience, including an efficient peer mentoring program for clinical practice.
- Lee SJ, Choi YJ, Chae H. The effects of personality traits on academic burnout in Korean medical students. Integr Med Res. 2017;6(2):207-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imr.2017.03.005
- An M, Kang AY, Kim YA, Kim MJ, Kim YL, Kim HW, et al. Comparison of academic engagement, academic burnout, stress, and social support by grade among undergraduate nursing students. J Korean Soc Sch Health. 2017;30(2):113-23.
- Cho HH, Kang JM. Effect of resilience, coping, and mental health on burnout of student nurses. Child Health Nurs Res. 2018;24(2):199-207. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2018.24.2.199
- Schaufeli WB, Martinez IM, Pinto AM, Salanova M, Bakker AB. Burnout and engagement in university students: a cross-national study. J Cross Cult Psychol. 2002;33(5):464-81. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022022102033005003
- Ko CM. Mediating effect of stress on relationship between emotional intelligence and burnout among nursing college students. J Korean Soc Sch Health. 2015;28(3):239-47. https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2015.28.3.239
- Rudman A, Gustavsson JP. Burnout during nursing education predicts lower occupational preparedness and future clinical performance: a longitudinal study. Int J Nurs Stud. 2012;49(8):988-1001. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.03.010
- Lee E. Effect of resilience on academic burnout of nursing students. J Korea Acad Ind Coop Soc. 2019;20(6):178-87.
- Lee MK, Lim SH. Relationships among academic burnout, stress coping and college adjustment in nursing students. Asia Pac J Multimed Serv Converg Art Humanit Sociol. 2017;7(6):521-34.
- Lee DY, Park JK, Choi MY. The relation between stress of clinical practice and burnout among nursing students: the mediation effect of spiritual well-being. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ. 2017;23(3):300-8. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2017.23.3.300
- Shin S, Hwang E. Effects of academic resilience and interpersonal competence on the happiness of nursing students. Korean Med Educ Rev. 2018;20(3):156-63.
- Yang YK, Han KS, Bae MH, Yang SH. Social support, academic stress, clinical practice stress in college student of nursing. Korean J Stress Res. 2014;22(1):23-34. https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2014.22.1.23
- Stephens TM. Nursing student resilience: a concept clarification. Nurs Forum. 2013;48(2):125-33. https://doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12015
- Block J, Block JH. The role of ego-control and ego-resiliency in the organization of behavior. In: Collins WA, editor. Development of cognition, affect, and social relations: the Minnesota symposia on child psychology. Hillsdale (NJ): Erlbaum; 1980. p. 39-101.
- Lee YM. A moderating effect of academic resilience on the relationship between academic stress and academic burnout. Think Dev. 2014;10(4):79-101.
- Rios-Risquez MI, Garcia-Izquierdo M, Sabuco-Tebar EL, Carrillo-Garcia C, Martinez-Roche ME. An exploratory study of the relationship between resilience, academic burnout and psychological health in nursing students. Contemp Nurse. 2016;52(4):430-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/10376178.2016.1213648
- Hwang E, Shin S. Characteristics of nursing students with high levels of academic resilience: a cross-sectional study. Nurse Educ Today. 2018;71:54-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2018.09.011
- Jung ES, Ha JH. Mediating effects and moderating effects of anticipated risks, anticipated benefits in the relationships between academic burnout and life satisfaction. J Korea Acad Ind Coop Soc. 2015;16(9):6009-18.
- Shin H, Puig A, Lee J, Lee JH, Lee SM. Cultural validation of the Maslach Burnout Inventory for Korean students. Asia Pac Educ Rev. 2011;12(4):633-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12564-011-9164-y
- Beck DL, Srivastava R. Perceived level and sources of stress in baccalaureate nursing students. J Nurs Educ. 1991;30(3):127-33. https://doi.org/10.3928/0148-4834-19910301-08
- Lee JE, Kim SL. Relationship among stress, coping strategies, and self-esteem in nursing students taking clinical experience. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ. 2005;11(1):98-106.
- Yu JH, Chae SJ. Differences in academic burnout and achievement goal orientation by perfectionism of medical students. J Health Inf Stat. 2016;41(1):88-95. https://doi.org/10.21032/jhis.2016.41.1.88
- Block J, Kremen AM. IQ and ego-resiliency: conceptual and empirical connections and separateness. J Pers Soc Psychol. 1996;70(2):349-61. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1249
- Yang S, Jung MR. The influences of academic-burnout, self-efficacy, major satisfaction on nursing professionalism in nursing students. J Learn Cent Curric Instr. 2016;16(11):613-29.
- Yoo SK, Hong SH, Choi BY. Mediating effects of ego-resilience, attachment, and existential spirituality between family risks and adaptation. Korean J Educ Psychol. 2004;18(1):393-408.
- Szabo S, Lloyd B, McKellar D, Myles H, Newton H, Schutz J, et al. 'Having a mentor helped me with difficult times': a trainee-run mentoring project. Australas Psychiatry. 2019;27(3):230-3. https://doi.org/10.1177/1039856218822735
- Jeffreys MR. Jeffreys's Nursing Universal Retention and Success model: overview and action ideas for optimizing outcomes A-Z. Nurse Educ Today. 2015;35(3):425-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.11.004
- Yen-Ju Lin B, Liu PC, Ku KT, Lee CC. Adaptation of medical students during clinical training: effects of holistic preclinical education on clerkship performance. Teach Learn Med. 2019;31(1):65-75. https://doi.org/10.1080/10401334.2018.1489815
- Sibiya MN, Ngxongo TS, Beepat SY. The influence of peer mentoring on critical care nursing students' learning outcomes. Int J Workplace Health Manag. 2018;11(3):130-42. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJWHM-01-2018-0003
- Thomas LJ, Asselin M. Promoting resilience among nursing students in clinical education. Nurse Educ Pract. 2018;28:231-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2017.10.001
- Amsrud KE, Lyberg A, Severinsson E. Development of resilience in nursing students: a systematic qualitative review and thematic synthesis. Nurse Educ Pract. 2019;41:102621. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2019.102621
- Park MH. Factors influencing resilience in nursing students. J Korea Acad Ind Coop Soc. 2018;19(11):614-25.
- Lee SH, Jeon WT. The relationship between academic self-efficacy and academic burnout in medical students. Korean J Med Educ. 2015;27(1):27-35. https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2015.27.1.27