- Volume 20 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Mentalization and Mindfulness on the Relationships between Secure Attachment and Borderline Personality Traits
안정 애착과 경계선 성격특성의 관계에서 정신화와 마음챙김의 매개효과
- Lee, Moon-Hee ;
- Lee, Su-Lim
- 이문희 (용문상담심리대학원대학교) ;
- 이수림 (가톨릭대학교 상담심리대학원)
- Received : 2020.03.10
- Accepted : 2020.05.06
- Published : 2020.06.28
The present study was aimed to verify the mediating effect of mentalization and mindfulness in the relationship between secure attachment and borderline personality traits. To this purpose, a self-reporting survey were conducted to universities and general companies in Seoul and Gyeonggi, so the final 358 data were used for analysis. Questionnaires including attachment type, mentalization, mindfulness and borderline personality traits were administered. A data was analyzed by a descriptive analysis, correlation analysis, and a structural equation model using SPSS and AMOS statistic program. A summary of the research results are as follows. First, in the results of the correlation analysis on the primary factors, secure attachment, mentalization, mindfulness and borderline personality traits had a significant correlation. Second, a dual mediation effect of mentalization and mindfulness was shown in the relationship between attachment and borderline personality traits. An secure attachment effect on the borderline personality traits through mentalization and mindfulness. Lastly, the significance and limitations of this study was discussed, as well as proposals for future research.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-5(R)), American Psychiatric Pub., 2013.
- M. D. Johnson, M. T. Shea, S. Yen, C. L. Battle, C. Zlotnick, C. Sanislow, C. Grilo, A. Skodol, D. Bender, T. H. McGlashan, J. Gunderson, and M. C. Zanarini, "Gender differences in borderline personality disorder: Findings from the collaborative longitudinal personality disorder study," Comprehensive Psychiatry, Vol.44, No.4, pp.284-292, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-440X(03)00090-7
- 임선영, 고은영, "경계선 성격특성이 음주문제에 미치는 향: 부정 긴성과 부응 인지 정서조략의 매개효과," 상담학연구, 제18권, 제4호, pp.81-101, 2017.
- 홍수연, 이승연, "아동기에 경험한 정서적 학대와 성인기 경계선 성격장애 성향의 관계: 정서인식의 명확성과 경험적 회피의 매개효과," 상담학연구, 제14권, 제5호, pp.3003-3021, 2013.
- 이수지, 여자 학생의 아동기 외상 경험과 성인기 경계선 성격장애 성향 간의 관계: 초기 부적응 도식과 사회 문제해결능력의 매개효과, 이화여자대학교대학원, 석사학논문, 2013.
- E. Marziali, The etiology of borderline personality disorder: Developmental factors. In J. F. Clarkin, E. Marziali, & H. Munroe-Blum (Eds.), Borderline personality disorder (pp.27-44), New York: Guilford Press, 1992.
- J. Bowlby, Attachment and loss : Vol.2 .Attachment, New York: BasicBooks, 1973.
- K. Lyons-Ruth and D. Jacobvitz, Attachment disorganization: Genetic factors, parenting contexts, and developmental transformation from infancy to adulthood. In J. Cassidy & P. R. Shaver (Eds.), Handbook of Attachment: Theory, Research, and Clinical Applications (2nd edn, pp.666-697), New York: The Guilford Press, 2008.
- M. H. van Ijzendoorn and M. J. Bakermans-Kranenburg, The distribution of adult attachment representations in clinical groups: A meta-analytic search for patterns of attachment in 105 AAI studies. In H. Steele & M. Steele (Eds.), Clinical Applications of the Adult Attachment Interview (pp.69-96), New York: The Guilford Press, 2008
- E. A. Carlson, B. Egeland, and L. A. Sroufe, "A prospective investigation of the development of borderline personality symptoms," Development and Psychopathology, Vol.21, pp.1311-1334, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954579409990174
- G. Allen, Mentalizing in the development and treatment of attachmen trauma, Routeledge, 2018.
- A. Bateman and P. Fonagy, Psychotherapy for Borderline Personality Disorder: Mentalization-Based Treatment, New York: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- G. Gergely and J. S. Watson, "The social biofeedback theory of parental affect-mirroring: The development of emotional self-awareness and self-control in infancy," International J. of Psycho-Analysis, Vol.77, pp.1181-1212, 1996.
- E. Meins, C. Fernyhough, J. Russell, and D. Clark-Carter, "Security of attachment as a predictor of symbolic and mentalizing abilities: A longitudinal study," Social Development, Vol.7, pp.1-24, 1998.
- P. Fonagy, G. Gergely, E. L. Jurist, and M. Target, Affect Regulation, Mentalization, and the Development of the Self, New York: Other Press, 2002.
- P. Fonagy, "A child's understanding of others," Bulletin of the Anna Freud Centre, Vol.12, pp.91-115, 1989.
- P. Luyten, P. Fonagy, A. Lemma, and M. Target, Depression. In P. Fonagy & A. Bateman (Eds.), Handbook of Mentalizing in Mental Health Practice (pp.385-417), Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing, 2012.
- 류에스더, 이성진, "아동기 외상경험과 경계선 성향의 관계에서 분노반추와 고통감내력의 효과," 인문사회21, 제10권, 제6호, pp.309-323, 2019.
- C. Mace, Mindfulness and Mental Health: Therapy, Theory and Science, London: Routledge. 2008.
- E. L. Garland, S. A. Gaylord, and B. L. Fredrickson, "Positive reappraisal mediates stress-reductive effects of mindfulness: An upward spiral process," Mindfulness, Vol.2, pp.59-67, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12671-011-0043-8
- L. Roemer and S. M. Orsillo, Mindfulness- and Acceptance-Based Behavioral Therapies in Practice, New York: The Guilford Press. 2009.
- P. R. Shaver, S. Lavy, C. D. Saron, and M. Mikulincer, "Social foundations of the capacity for mindfulness: An attachment perspective," Psychological Inquiry, Vol.18, pp.264-271, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/10478400701598389
- L. S. Greenberg, Emotion-focused Therapy, NY: The Guilford Press. 2002.
- J. Holmes, Defensive and creative uses of narrative in psychotherapy: An attachment perspective. In G. Roberts & J. Holmes (Eds.), Healing Stories: Narrative in Psychiatry and Psychotherapy (pp.49-66), London: Oxford University Press. 1999.
- N. L. Collins and S. J. Read, "Adult attachment, working models and relationship quality in dating couples," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.58, No.4, pp.644-663, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1684
- 김정민, 박광배, "연애 중인 커플의 사랑 유형: 선택가설에 대한 검증," 한국심리학회 연차대회 발표논문, 제1권, pp.423-432, 1991
- A. Dimitrijevic, N. Hanak, A. Dimitrijevic, and Z. Marjanovic, "The mentalization scale(Ments):A self-report measure for the assessment of mentalizing capacity," J. of personality assessment, Vol.100, pp.268-280, 2017.
- 이수림, 이문희, "한국판 정신화 척도 (Korean Version of The Mentalization Scale)의 타당화," 제19권, 제5호, pp117-135, 2018.
- K. W. Brown and R. M. Ryan, "The benefits of being present: Mindfulness and its role in psychological well-being," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.84, No.4, pp.822-848, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1242
- 권선중, 김교헌, "한국판 마음챙김 주의 알아차림 척도(K-MAAS)의 타당화 연구," 한국심리학회지: 건강, 제12권, 제1호, pp.269-287, 2007.
- L. C. Morey, Personality Assessment Inventory: Professional manual, Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources. 1991.
- 홍상황, 김영환, "경계선 성격장애 척도의 타당화 연구," 한국심리학회지: 임상, 제17권, 제1호, pp.259-271, 1998.
- 이지현, 김수영, "문항묶음: 원리의 이해와 적용," 한국심리학회지: 일반, 제35권, 제2호, pp.327-353, 2016.
- J. C. Anderson and D. W. Gerbing, "Structural equation modeling in practice: A review and recommended two-step approach," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.103, No.3, pp.411-423, 1998.
- P. M. Bentler, "Comparative fit indexes in structural models," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.107, No.2, pp.238-246, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.107.2.238
- 홍세희, "구조 방정식 모형의 적합도 지수 선정기준과 그 근거," 한국심리학회지: 임상, 제19권, 제1호, pp.161-177, 2000.
- P. J. Curran, S. G. West, and J. F. Finch, "The robustness of test statistics to nonnormality and specification error in confirmatory factor analysis," Psychological Methods, Vol.1, No.1, pp.16-29, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.1.1.16
- Y. F. Young and P. M. Bentler, Bootstrapping techniques in analysis of mean and covariance structures. In G. A. Marcoulides and R. E. Schumacker (Eds). Advanced structural equation modeling: techniques and issues (pp.195-226), 1996.
- P. Fonagy and A. Bateman, "Mechanisms of change in Mentalization Based Therapy of borderline personality disorder," J. of Clinical Psychology, Vol,62, No.4, pp.411-430, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1002/jclp.20241
- S. C. Hayes and K. D. Strosahl, (Eds.) A Practical Guide to Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, New York: Springer, 2004.
- M. M. Linehan, Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder, New York: The Guilford Press, 1993.
- 허연주, 이민규, "경계선 성격장애 성향이 우울에 미치는 영향: 심리적 유연성의 매개효과 검증," 한국심리학회지: 임상, 제34권, 제3호, pp.747-767, 2015.