- Volume 56 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A preparatory study on fish behavioral properties in a set-net
- KANG, Myounghee (Department of Maritime Police and Production System/Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- LIU, Jenming (Department of Fishery Production and Management, National Kaohsiung University of Science and Technology) ;
- HASSAN, Raja Bidin bin Raja (Marine Fishery Resources Development and Management Department, Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center) ;
- FAJARYANTI, Rina (Department of Engineering for Marine Production, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- HWANG, Bokyu (Marine Production System Major, Kunsan National University)
- Received : 2020.03.19
- Accepted : 2020.04.16
- Published : 2020.05.31
The fish influx and behavioral properties at a set-net off Goseong, South Korea were investigated using an imaging sonar. As a result, the average influx of fish was 33.9% at day time and 66.1% at night time, respectively, which indicated that a majority of fish entered into a playground in the set-net at night. The fish behavioral properties such as target (fish) length, range, orientation and major-axis angle were examined and compared among survey dates (4, 5, and 6 June 2019) using the statistical analysis tool (analysis of variance, ANOVA). The behavioral properties presented differently sometime of survey dates. This is preparatory study to support fish behavior properties in a set-net. It is expected that more elaborated behavioral information of fishes in the set-net is beneficial for designing and deploying a set-net fishing gear as well as general fish behavior research in the future.
- Badatime. 2019. Retrieved from https://www.badatime.com/o-26.html, Accessed 10 Dec 2019.
- Baumgartner LJ, Reynoldson N, Cameron L and Stanger J. 2006. Assessment of a dual frequency identification sonar (DIDSON) for application in fish migration studies. NSW Department of Primary Industries-Fisheries Final Report Series No. 84 NSW Department of Primary Industries, Cronulla, NSW, AU. 1-33.
- Becker A, Whitfield AK, Cowley PD, Jarnegren J and Naesje TF. 2011. An assessment of the size structure, distribution and behavior of fish populations within a temporarily closed estuary using dual frequency identification sonar (DIDSON). J Fish Biol 79, 761-775. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2011.03057.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2011.03057.x
- Boswell KM, Wilson MP and Cowan Jr JH. 2008. A semiautomated approach to estimating fish size, abundance, and behavior from dual-frequency identification sonar (DIDSON) data. N Am J Fish Manage 28, 799-807. https://doi.org/10.1577/M07-116.1. https://doi.org/10.1577/M07-116.1
- Burwen DL, Fleischman SJ and Miller JD. 2010. Accuracy and precision of salmon length estimates taken from DIDSON sonar images. Trans Am Fish Soc 139, 1306-1314. https://doi.org/10.1577/T09-173.1. https://doi.org/10.1577/T09-173.1
- Cha BY, Kim BY and Oh SW. 2001. Catch variation and fishing period of the set-net fishery in coastal waters of Jeju Island. Korean J Ichthyol 13, 210-219. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2004.37.1.065.
- Dunlop KM, Jarvis T, Benoit-Bird KJ, Waluk CM, Caress DW, Thomas H and Smith KL. 2018. Detection and characterization of deep-sea benthopelagic animals from an autonomous underwater vehicle with a multi-beam echosounder: A proof of concept and description of data-processing methods. Deep-Sea Res. 1(134), 64-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr.2018.01.006.
- Echoview. 2019. Help file 9.0.18 for Echoview. Retrieved from http://support.echoview.com/WebHelp/Echoview.htm, Accessed 11 Dec 2019.
- Fisheries statistics. 2019. Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries website. Retrieved from http://www.fips.go.kr/p/S020303, Accessed 10 Jun 2019.
- Fishing gear and fishing method. 2019. National Institute of Fisheries Science website. Retrieved from https://www.nifs.go.kr/bbs?id=filshing&flag=lis, Accessed 10 Jun 2019.
- Han CH and Uye SI. 2009. Quantification of the abundance and distribution of the common jellyfish Aurelia aurita s.l. with a dual-frequency identification sonar (DIDSON). J Plankton Res 31, 805-814. https://doi.org/10.1093/plankt/fbp029. https://doi.org/10.1093/plankt/fbp029
- Han J, Honda N, Asada A and Shibata K. 2009. Automated acoustic method for counting and sizing farmed fish during transfer using DIDSON. Fish Sci 75, 1359-1367. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12562-009-0162-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12562-009-0162-5
- Hwang BK and Shin HO. 2003. Analysis on the movement of bag-net in set-net by acoustic telemetry techniques. Fish Sci 69, 300-307. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-2906.2003.00621.x
- Hwang SD, Kim JY, Kim JI, Kim ST, Seo YL, Kim JB, Kim YH and Heo SJ. 2006. Species composition using the daily catch data of a set-net in the coastal waters off Yeosu, Korea. Korean J Ichthyol 18, 223-233.
- Kim MK, Inoue Y and Park JS. 1995. Studies on the behavior of fish schools in the main-net of a large scale set-net using scanning sonar. Bull Korea Soc Fish Tech 31, 8-14.
- Kim BY, Yun IB, Kwon BG and Lee JH. 2004. Net shapes of the model set-net in the flow. Bull Korean Soc Fish Tech 40, 104-114. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2004.40.2.104. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2004.40.2.104
- Lee K, Bae B, Kim I and Yoon W. 2010. Measurement of swimming speed of giant jellyfish Nemopilema nomurai using acoustics and visualization analysis. Fish Sci 76, 893-899. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12562-010-0294-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12562-010-0294-7
- Lee H, Lee K, Kim S, Lee D and Yang Y. 2016. Acoustic monitoring using multi-beam imaging sonar through a set-net in the Southern Sea, Korea. Fish Sci 82, 701-708. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12562-016-1013-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12562-016-1013-9
- Makabe R, Kurihara T and Uye SI. 2012. Spatio-temporal distribution and seasonal population dynamics of the jellyfish Aurelia aurita s.l. studied with dual-frequency identification sonar (DIDSON). J Plankton Res 34, 936-950. https://doi.org/10.1093/plankt/fbs057. https://doi.org/10.1093/plankt/fbs057
- Premke K, Muyakshin S, Klages M and Wegner J. 2003. Evidence for long-range chemo-receptive tracking of food odour in deep sea scavengers by scanning sonar data. J Exp Mar Biol Ecol 285/286, 283-294. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0981(02)00533-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0981(02)00533-6
- Rose CS, Stoner AW and Matteson K. 2005. Use of high-frequency imaging sonar to observe fish behavior near baited fishing gears. Fish Res 76, 291-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2005.07.015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2005.07.015
- Shin HO and Lee JH. 1999. Behavior of amber fish, Seriola aureovittata released in the set-net. Korean Soc Fish Tech 35, 161-169.
- Yoon IB, Lee JK, Kwon BG, Kim SH and Shin JW. 2001. The model experiment on holding power of the anchors used in the set-net. Bull Korean Soc Fish Tech 37, 95-105.