- Volume 21 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting the Readmission Experience of Liver Cirrhosis Patients
간경변증 환자의 재입원 경험에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Yoon, Mi-Lim (College of Nursing, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Eun, Young (College of Nursing, Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2020.02.10
- Accepted : 2020.05.08
- Published : 2020.05.31
This study examined the factors affecting the readmission of patients with liver cirrhosis, and focused on self-care, social support, and drinking refusal self-efficacy. The subjects were 75 cirrhosis patients who were admitted to medium-sized hospitals at S-city for two months from May 2019 to June 2019. The data was analyzed with the SPSS (Version 25) program, and logistic regression analysis was performed on the factors affecting readmission. The results were self-care (27.49±0.53 out of 60), social support (52.80±16.44 out of 90), and drinking refusal self-efficacy (42.39±22.76 out of 80). The readmission method was classified into planned and unplanned admissions. Unplanned readmission was found to differ depending on the drinking experience (OR: 4.16) and the presence of complications (OR: 5.11) within a month of discharge rather than that of the planned readmissions, accounted for 19.7%. It will be very important to reduce the occurrence of complications by early management of patients with cirrhosis, and increase the drinking refusal self-efficacy, and so reduce unplanned readmission and prevent the progression and deterioration of cirrhosis. The drinking experience and the occurrence of complications can be reduced through interventions that increase self-care, social support, and drinking refusal self-efficacy. Nursing interventions are needed to prevent patients with cirrhosis from drinking and to manage the complications due to relapse into alcoholism.
- Korea National Statistical Office. Annual report on the cause of death statistics. International Statistics Yearbook, Seoul, Korea. 2014. http://kostat.go.kr
- M. C. Jung, "Management of the Patients with Liver Cirrhosis", Inje Medical Journal, vol.23, no.2, pp.91-98, 2002.
- K. S. Jung, H. S. Min, "The Relations among Self-Care, Symptom Experiences, and Disease Status of the Patient with Liver Cirrhosis", Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, vol.19, no.2, pp.318-328, 2007.
- Y. S. Seo, E. S, Do, "Affecting factors of the Drinking Behavior of Liver Cirrhosis Patients -The Aspects of Convergence of Drinking Behavior and Disease-related of factors", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol.13, no.7, pp. 249-258, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.7.249
- Kim B. H, Kim Y. S, Kim H. R, Chon M. S, Kwon M. H, "The experience of patients with liver cirrhosis", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. vol.16, no.4, pp.608-616, 2004.
- Kim M. J, Na H, "Factors influencing self-care compliance among patients with liver cirrhosis", Journal of Muscle and Joint Health. vol.24, no.1, pp.47-55, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2017.24.1.47
- K. A. Son, Y. S, Kim, M. H. Hong, M. A. Jeong, "Analysis of the Medication Compliance of Hypertensive and its Influential Factors", Journal of the korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Socity, vol.17, no.9, pp.141-155, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/kais.2016.17.9.141
- H. S. Son, J. H. Chun, J. T. Lee, K. W. Jeong, S. J. Kim, S. H. Urm, & B. C. Yu, " The status of quit smoking, abstinence and exercise of patients with chronic disesae in a hospital", J Korean Soc Health Educ Promot, vol.18, no.3, pp.87-100, 2001.
- J. M. Yang, Alcohol drinking. J Korean Med Assoc, vol.47, no.3, pp.214-225, 2004. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2004.47.3.214
- Community Psychiatric Support Group Report, Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2003.
- B. H. Kaplan, J. C. Cassel, S. Gore, "Social Support and Health", Medica; Care, vol.15, no.5, pp.47-58, 1997. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-197705001-00006
- Y. Jeung, M. Kim, "Comparative Study on HbA1C, Self-care behavior, and quality of life by depression status in type II Diabetes patients," Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, vol.19, no.3, pp.353-362, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.3.353
- E. M, Kim ,K. S. Kim"A structural model on quality of life for recipients of liver transplants", Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, vol.14, no.3, pp. 340-350, 2007.
- The Korean Society of Gastroenterlogy, 2007.
- Ludke, R. l. MacDowel, N. M. Booth, B. M. Hunter, S. A, "Appropriateness of admission and discharge among readmitted patients", Health Service Reserch, vol.25, no. 3, pp.501-525, 1990.
- Korean Association for the Study of the Liver, "Practice guideline for the management of complications of liver cirrhosis", Korean Journal Hepatology, vol.11, no.4, pp.111-163, 2005.
- D. E. Orem, "Nursing : Concept of Practice", Mosby, 2001.
- S. H. Kim, "Hepatitis B Therapeutic Relationship with the Knowledge and Implementation of the Family Support and to Recognize Hepatitis", Yeonsei University, Master's Thesis, 1989.
- N. Y. Kim, "The Influence of Family Support on Self-Care and Disease Status of the Patient with Liver Cirrhosis", Ewha Woman's University, Master's Thesis, 2003.
- Sarason, B. R, Pierce, G. R, Shearin, E. N, Sarason, I. G, & Waltz, J. A, "Perceives social support and walking models of self and actual others", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol.60, no.2, pp.273-287, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- O. S. Kim, "Study on the correlation between perceived social support and the quality of life of hemodialysis patients", Unpublished master's Thesis, Seoul University, Seoul. 1993.
- J. Y. Lee, "A study on effectiveness of diatary self-efficacy, dietary knowledge and social support for exercise-diet compliance of patients on hemodialysis", Unpublished master's thesis, Yoensei University, Seoul. 2007.
- Diclemente, C. C, Carbonari, J. P, Montgomery, R. P. G, & Hughes, S. O, "The Alcohol Abstinence self-efficacy scale", Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 55(2), 141-148. vol.55, no.2, pp.141-148, 1994. https://doi.org/10.15288/jsa.1994.55.141
- S. J. Kim. "Modeling relapse of Alcoholism : Male alcoholic in-patients of psychiatric ward" Theoretical Model for the Recurrence of Alcoholism: For Male Alcoholism Patients in Psychiatric Hospitals, Seoul National University, Ph.D. Thesis, 1996.
- H. R. Kim, "Analysis of Medical use and Costs Related to the Managements of Liver Cirrhosis using National patients sample Data". Korean journal of clinical pharmacy, vol.26, no.4, pp.341-347, 2016. http://www.kccp.or.kr
- S. H. Park, J. H. Yang, " Factors Associated with Quality of Life in patients with chronic Liver Disease", Journal of the korean Data Analysis Society, vol.15, no.1(B), pp.223-236, 2013.
- S. B. Bae, B. O. Lee, Y. G. Kim, S. G. Park, "Completion of Inpatient Alcohol Treatment Program and Readmission : Differences in Clinical Characteristics", Journal of the korean Academy of Addiction Psychiatry, vol.12, no.2, pp71-75, 2008.
- S. A. Yun, "The relationship between fatigue, depression, sleep disorder and self-care practice in patients with liver cirrhosis", Yeonsei University, Master's Thesis, 2018. DOI: https://ir.ymlib.yonsei.ac.kr/handle/22282913/166306
- C. H. Lee, "Management of Liver Cirrhosis", Korean J Med, 82:pp.159-163, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3904/kjm.2012.82.2.159 https://doi.org/10.3904/kjm.2012.82.2.159
- Y. J. Cho, Y. M. Kim, S. W. Han, "A Study on the Development of Readmission Predictive Model", Journal of the korea Academy-Industrial cooperation Socity vol.20, no.4, pp435-447, 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2019.20.4.435
- E. H. Gil, "Differences in Adherence to Self-care, Drug Compliance, and Knowledge of Heart Failure Based on Rehospitalization of Heart Failure Patients", Eulji University Master's Thesis, 2013.