- Volume 24 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development of Restaurant Uniforms Designed Using Local Cultural Resources: Focused on Yeosu & Suncheon-City
지역문화자원을 활용한 요식업 유니폼 디자인 개발 -여수 순천 지역을 중심으로-
- Na, Hyun-Suk (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Chonnam National University) ;
- Bae, Soo-Jeong (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2020.03.19
- Accepted : 2020.04.22
- Published : 2020.05.30
The purpose of this thesis was to design and develop restaurant uniforms for Yeosu and Suncheon-City using local cultural resources by investigating the present situation of restaurant uniforms. The study was conducted through literature review and practical research on uniform designs. The practical research included investigating and analyzing the recent uniform designs of 60 spots in both cities and the preference of local cultural resources, finally suggesting eight restaurant uniform designs and four original samples. It was found that most workers in both cities wore shirts and pants or aprons as uniforms and also that the restaurant uniforms had many problems, such as poor designs, functionality, and the lack of local characteristics. According to these results, a design concept called 'Colorful Night Sea' was built for Yeosu using a design motive of a Yeosu Expo symbol, a Big-O Show shape, and Dolsan Gat flowers. For Suncheon-city, a design concept called 'A Rural Landscape' was built using a design motive of Nagan Eupseong and a field of reeds in Suncheon Bay. The restaurant uniform items included a top (shirt or blouse), pants, apron, and headdress in both cities. This study is meaningful as it helped improve the local image and economic situation, by proposing distinct uniforms designed by using local cultural resources.
- Bae, S. (2008). A study of customer attitude about urban brand (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Hongik University, Seoul, Korea.
- Bae, S. (2013). An analysis on the present state of Korean professional cheerleader's uniform design. Journal of Fashion Business, 17(2), 46-62. doi:10.12940/jfb.2013.17.2.46 https://doi.org/10.12940/jfb.2013.17.2.46
- Cha, S. (2015). A study on the real wearing condition and preference of hair shop uniform. Journal of Fashion Business, 17(2), 75-91, doi:10.12940/jfb.2015.19.4.75
- Cultural Heritage Administration. (n.d.). Retrieved February 2, 2020, from http://www.cha.go.kr/main.html
- Jeon, M. (2012). Study on the development of cultural content based on traditional culture (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Yeungnam University, Gyeongsan, Korea.
- Jeong, H., & Bae, S. (2009). The development of textile design by using prototype of Hwasun Unjusa. Journal of Fashion Business, 13(2), 100-114.
- Kang, E. (2011). A Proposal to Utilize the Exhibition Facility of Expo 2012 Yeosu Korea (Unpublished master's thesis). Myongji University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, H., Chu, M., Hong, J., & Jeon, H. (2014). Fashion cultural product design applying cultural resources of Iksan. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 22(4), 555-564, doi:10.7741/rjcc.2014.22.4.555 https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2014.22.4.555
- Kim, K. (2005). The concept and its application of the culture archetype. Humanities Contents, 2005(6), 7-22.
- Kwon, O. (2005). Guidance plan about local history with application of accomplishment valuation : Focus on local cultural assets in Suncheon district (Unpublished master's thesis). Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea.
- Korea Culture & Tourism Institute. (n.d.). Retrieved February 2, 2020, from https://www.tour.go.kr/
- Lee, J. (2003). A study for the fashioned cultural goods development based on the local culture-With priority given to the cultural goods development applied by the butterfly character of Hampyung- (Unpublished master's thesis). Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, M. (2006). Development of uniform design for traditional Korean restaurant. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 12(2), 107-123.
- Lee, S. (2003). Roles of local cultural centers for regional cultural development. The Journal of Yeungnam Regional Development, 32, 103-118.
- Lee, S. (2012). Study on a carrying capacity assessment model for sustainable coastal tourist resorts: Case analysis of Suncheon Bay ecological tourist (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Kyonggi University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lim, H. (2013). A study on the development of a uniform design for the Jecheon International Herbal Bio Expo. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 13(3), 75-89.
- Min, H. (2017). A study on market segmentation of food tourism and association rule of Korean food (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea.
- Na, H., & Bae, S. (2016). A development of uniform design applied from visual image of local cultural resources: Focused on the restaurant business in Damyang. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 22(1), 101-113.
- Nagan Eupseong. (n.d.). Retrieved February 2, 2020, from https://www.suncheon.go.kr/tour/tourist/0004/
- Nam, C. (2007). 문화자원과 지역정책 [Cultural resources and regional policy], Paju: Daewangsa.
- Nam, H. (2014). A research on the Wanggol design according to the cultural archetype of Ganghwa-do. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 20(1), 309-322.
- National Law Information Center. (2020, March 24). Retrieved February 2, 2020, from http://www.law.go.kr/%EB%B2%95%EB%A0%B9/%EC%8B%9D%ED%92%88%EC%9C%84%EC%83%9D%EB%B2%95
- Odongdo. (n.d.). Retrieved February 2, 2020, from http://www.yeosu.go.kr/tour/travel/10tour/odongdo
- Roh, Y. (2006), A study for developing the art apron design. Journal of Fashion Business, 10(1), 20-30.
- Ryu, J. (2009). A study of community revitalization strategies through resources of visual arts (Unpublished master's thesis). Hongik University, Seoul, Korea.
- Samsung Economic Research Institute. (2004). Development of cultural resource and regional activation strategy (SERI Publication No. 04-3339). Retrieved February 2, 2020, from https://www.seri.org/search/orgSearch.html