- Volume 9 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A new record of the subgenus Eusimulium Roubaud from Korea with an updated key to genera and subgenera of Korean black flies(Diptera: Simuliidae)
- Kim, Sam-Kyu (Applied Biology Program, Division of Bio-resource Sciences, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2020.03.20
- Accepted : 2020.04.08
- Published : 2020.05.31
Larvae and pupae of Simulium (Eusimulium) satsumense were collected and recorded from Korea for the first time. Detailed descriptions and photographs of both immatures are provided. Currently, 42 species are known from the subgenus Eusimulium, which is found globally, mainly in the Holarctic Region, but unknown from Korea. Members of the subgenus Eusimulium are morphologically homogeneous in male, female, and pupa, making them extremely difficult to distinguish from one another. S. (E.) satsumense can be distinguished from other Korean black flies by the following combination of the characteristics: Pupa: Gill of four slender filaments, dorsalmost filament strongly divergent from other filaments; cocoon slipper shaped without anterodorsal projection; Larva: Head spots distinctly positive; postgenal cleft short, apically rounded or squared; antenna with proximal segment brown; abdominal segments IX with prominent ventral tubercles; and rectal papillae of three simple lobes. In addition to descriptions for larvae and pupae of the species, a key to genera and subgenera of Simulium of Korean black flies are also provided.
- Adler, P.H. 2019. World Blackflies (Diptera: Simuliidae): A Comprehensive Revision of the Taxonomic and Geographical Inventory [Available from http://www.clemson.edu/cafls/biomia/pdfs/blackflyinventory.pdfaccessed 6 Mar. 2020].
- Adler, P.H., D.C. Currie and D.M. Wood. 2004. The black flies (Simuliidae) of North America. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY. 941pp+24 color plates.
- Bentinck, W. 1955. The black flies of Japan and Korea (Diptera: Simuliidae). 406th Medical General Laboratory, Tokyo, Japan. 23pp+32 figures.
- Chow, C.Y. 1973. Arthropods of public health importance in Korea. Journal of Korean Entomology 3:31-54.
- Fries, B.F. 1824. Monographia Simuliarum Sveciae. Pp.5-20 In Observationes Entomologicae, part I. Lundae [=Lund], Sweden. 20 pp.
- Kim, M.H., H.J. Park, J.Y. Lee, B.K. Cho, I.Y. Lee and W.K. Lee. 2006. A case of blackfly bites. Korean Journal of Dermatology 44:505-507.
- Kim, S.K. 2015a. Revised descriptions of the larvae and pupae of the subgenera Gomphostilbia and Nevermannia (Diptera: Simuliidae) in Korea. Entomological Research 45:193-208. https://doi.org/10.1111/1748-5967.12114
- Kim, S.K. 2015b. Morphology and ecological notes on the larvae and pupae of Simulium (Simulium) from Korea. Animal Systematics, Evolution, and Diversity 31:209-246. https://doi.org/10.5635/ASED.2015.31.4.209
- Kim, S.K. 2020a. Two new genera of black flies (Diptera: Simuliidae) of Korea. Journal of Species Research 9:11-18.
- Kim, S.K. 2020b. Unrecorded subgenus of black fly (Diptera: Simuliidae) from Korea. Journal of Species Research 9:19-25.
- Latreille, P.A. 1802. Histoire naturelle, generale et particuliere des crustaces et des insects. 3. Famillles naturelles des genres. F. Dufart, Paris. 467 pp.
- Newman, E. 1834. Attempted division of British insects into natural orders. Entomological Magazine 2:379-431.
- Ono, H. 1980. Some new species of black flies (Diptera, Simuliidae) from Hokkaido, Japan. Kontyu, Tokyo 48:333-361.
- Roubaud, E. 1906. Apercus nouveaux, morphologiques et biologiques, sur les Dipteres piqueurs du groupe des Simulies. Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires des Seances de I'Academie des Sciences 143:519-521.
- Takaoka, H. 1974. Blackflies from Cheju Island in Korea with the description of Simulium (Eusimulium) subcostatum chejuense n. ssp. (Diptera: Simuliidae). Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology 25:141-146. https://doi.org/10.7601/mez.25.141
- Takaoka, H. 1976. Studies on black flies of the Nansei Island, Japan (Simuliidae; Diptera) I. On six species of the subgenus Eusimulium Roubaud, with the description of Simulium (E.) satsumense sp. nov. and S. (E.) subcostatum koshikiense ssp. nov. Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology 27:163-180. https://doi.org/10.7601/mez.27.163
- Takaoka, H. 1977. Studies on black flies of the Nansei Island, Japan (Simuliidae; Diptera) IV. Keys to females, males, pupae and larvae of all the 18 species of the genus Simulium of the Nansei Islands. Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology 28:219-224. https://doi.org/10.7601/mez.28.219
- Takaoka, H. 2002. Review on the classification, distribution and ecology of the black flies (Diptera: Simuliidae) of the Nansei Islands in Japan, with techniques for collection, slide-preparation, microscopic observation, and identification of adult, pupal and larval black flies. Medical Entomology and Zoology 53:55-80.
- Takaoka, H. and S. Shrestha. 2010. New species of black flies (Diptera: Simuliidae) from Nepal. Zootaxa 2731:1-62.
- Yoon, I.B. and M.Y. Song. 1990. A revision of the taxonomy of Korean black-flies (Simuliidae: Diptera) II. the larval and pupal stages of subgenus Eusimulium and Gomphostilbia. Entomological Research Bulletin 16:11-28.