- Volume 9 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Hesperinidae (Diptera: Bibionomorpha) a new family from the Korean Peninsula
- Podenas, Sigitas (Nature Research Centre) ;
- Park, Sun-Jae (Animal Resources Division, National Institute of Biological Resources) ;
- Kim, A Young (Animal Resources Division, National Institute of Biological Resources)
- Received : 2020.02.21
- Accepted : 2020.03.09
- Published : 2020.05.31
Research on Korean nematocerous flies (Diptera: Nematocera) was started by the National Institute of Biological Resources in 2012. This publication is a continuation of our previous work. During the season of 2019 insects were collected in Odaesan National Park by the researchers from Korea University. Among these samples, two specimens belonging to the family Hesperinidae, which was previously unrecorded from Korea, were noticed. This family is known from countries bordering Korea (East Siberia and Far East of Russia, Hokkaido Island of Japan), thus occurrence of hesperinid flies was expected on the Korean Peninsula. Only one genus Hesperinus Walker, 1848 with eight species belong to this family. They are developing in decaying wood of deciduous trees. Hesperinus rohdendorfi Krivosheina & Mamaev, 1967, which was known from East Siberia and Far East of Russia is recorded from South Korea. Redescription and photographs of the most important taxonomical details are presented.
- Cumming, J.M. and D.M. Wood. 2017. Adult morphology and terminology. In: A.H. Kirk-Spriggs and B.J. Sinclair (eds.), Manual of Afrotropical Diptera. Volume 1. Introductory chapters and keys to Diptera families. Suricata 4. South African National Biodiversity Institute. pp. 89-133.
- Hardy, D.E. 1981. Bibionidae. In: J.F. McAlpine (ed.), Manual of Nearctic Diptera Monograph 27(1). Research Branch, Agriculture Canada. pp. 217-222.
- Hardy, D.E. and M. Takahashi. 1960. Revision of the Japanese Bibionidae (Diptera, Nematocera). Pacific Insects 4(2):449 pp.
- Krivosheina, N.P. and M.G. Krivosheina. 2015. To the biology of Hesperinus ninae Papp et Krivosheina, 2010 (Diptera: Hesperinidae) with description of immature morphology. Russian Entomological Journal 24(4):313-317. https://doi.org/10.15298/rusentj.24.4.06
- Krivosheina, N.P. and B.M. Mamaev. 1967. New data on the families Hesperinidae and Pachyneuridae and their position in the order Diptera. Zoologicheskiy Zhurnal 46(2):235-247 (in Russian).
- Kurina, O. 2013. Hesperinus ninae Papp & Krivosheina (Diptera: Hesperinidae) from Georgia: the second record of this peculiar species. Biodiversity Data Journal 1:e1023. doi:10.3897/BDJ.1.e1023 https://doi.org/10.3897/BDJ.1.e1023
- Loew, H. 1858. Uber einige neue Fliegengattungen. Berliner Entomologische Zeitschrift 2:101-122.
- Nel, A. and J. Skartveit. 2012. Occurrence of the genus Hesperinus Walker (Diptera, Hesperinidae) in the Oligocene of France. Studia Dipterologica 18:85-89.
- Oosterbroek, P. 2006. The European Families of the Diptera. Identification, diagnosis, biology. KNNV publishing, Utrecht. 208 pp.
- Papp, L. 2010. A study on Hesperinus Walker with description of a new species (Diptera: Hesperinidae). Acta Zoologica Academiae Scientiarum Hungaricae 56(4):347-370.
- Papp, L. and G. Krivosheina. 2010. Description of a new species of Hesperinus Walker, 1848 from the North Caucasus (Diptera: Hesperinidae). Russian Entomological Journal 18(4):293-297.
- Paramonov, N.M. 2005. First record of the family Hesperinidae (Diptera) from Sakhalin. Zoosystematica Rossica 13(2):232.
- Skartveit, J. 2008. Fossil Hesperinidae and Bibionidae from Baltic amber (Diptera: Bibionoidea). Studia dipterologica 15:3-42.
- Skartveit, J. 2017. Bibionidae. In: A.H. Kirk-Spriggs and B.J. Sinclair (eds.), Manual of Afrotropical Diptera. Volume 2. Nematocerous Diptera and lower Brachycera. Suricata 5. South African National Biodiversity Institute. pp. 497-504.
- Walker, F. 1848. List of the specimens of dipterous insects in the collection of the British museum. London 1:1-229.