- Volume 52 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Removal of radioactive methyliodide from the gas stream with a composite sorbent based on polyurethane foam
- Obruchikov, Alexander V. (Department of High-Energy Chemistry and Radioecology, D. Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology of Russia) ;
- Magomedbekov, Eldar P. (Department of High-Energy Chemistry and Radioecology, D. Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology of Russia) ;
- Merkushkin, Aleksei O. (Department of High-Energy Chemistry and Radioecology, D. Mendeleev University of Chemical Technology of Russia)
- Received : 2019.07.10
- Accepted : 2019.10.24
- Published : 2020.05.25
A composite iodine sorbent was obtained in the form of porous polymer matrix with activated carbon particles impregnated with triethylenediamine deposited on its surface. A comparative assessment of the radioactive methyliodide capturing efficiency by the composite sorbent and a sample of industrial charcoal sorbent was conducted. It was shown that under the selected testing conditions, the hydraulic resistance of the composite sorbent is lower, and the sorption capacity is higher than that of the industrial charcoal sorbent. A method for comparing the effectiveness of iodine sorbents, based on the calculation of the ratio of the sorption capacity index to the minimum capacity index, needed for the required purification degree was proposed.
- Ji-Yang So, Hang-Rae Cho, Thermal characteristics of spent activated carbon generated from air cleaning units in Korean nuclear power plants, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 49 (2017) 873-880.
- Hoje Chun, Joonhee Kang, Byungchan Han, First principles computational study on the adsorption mechanism of organic methyl iodide gas on triethylenediamine impregnated activated carbon, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 18 (2016) 32050-32056.
- Sachin U. Nandanwar, et al., Capture of harmful radioactive contaminants from off-gas stream using porous solid sorbents for clean environment - a review, Chem. Eng. J. 306 (2016) 369-381.
- C.M. Gonzalez-Garcia, J.F. Gonzalez, S. Roman, Removal efficiency of radioactive methyl iodide on TEDA-impregnated activated carbons, Fuel Process. Technol. 92 (2) (2011) 247-252.
- L.Q. Yue, D.L. Luo, Research development of locating radioiodine by solid sorbent in a gas medium, Mater. Rev. (26) (2012) 285-289.
- Brian J. Riley, et al., Materials and processes for the effective capture and immobilization of radioiodine: a review, J. Nucl. Mater. 470 (2016) 307-326.
- A.V. Obruchikov, S.M. Lebedev, Study on adsorption removal of radioactive methyl iodide by modified busofit carbon fibers, Inorg. Mater.: Appl. Res. 3 (5) (2012) 398-400.
- N.I. Ampelogova, et al., Carbon-fiber adsorbent materials for removing radioactive iodine from gases, Atom. Energy 92 (2002) 336-340.
- J.N. Filatov, et al., Sorption Filtering Composite Material. RU Patent 2414960 C1, 2009.
- N.I. Ampegelova, et al., Filter for Air Cleaning from Radioactive Iodine. RU Patent 2262758 C2, 2003.
- L.F. Katukhin, et al., Sorption-Filtration Sandwich Material and Filter with Such Material. RU Patent 2487745 C1, 2013.
- Eldar P. Magomedbekov, Alexander V. Obruchikov, A method for properties evaluation of activated charcoal sorbents in iodine capture under dynamic conditions, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 51 (2) (2019) 641-645.
- ISO 18417 Iodine Charcoal Sorbents for Nuclear Facilities - Method for Defining Sorption Capacity Index, 2017.
- Testing and Monitoring of Off-Gas Cleaning Systems at Nuclear Facilities vol. 243, IAEA, Techn. Rep., Ser. No, Vienna, 1984, p. 28.
- V.G. Kritskii, et al., Analysis of the effectiveness of iodine carbon adsorbers in special ventilation systems of nuclear power plants with RBMK-1000 reactors, Atom. Energy 83 (1) (1997) 520-525.