- Volume 52 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A feasibility study of the Iranian Sun mather type plasma focus source for neutron capture therapy using MCNP X2.6, Geant4 and FLUKA codes
- Nanbedeh, M. (Department of Physics, Sanandaj Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Sadat-Kiai, S.M. (Plasma and Nuclear Fusion Research School, Nuclear Science and Technology Research Institute (NSTRI)) ;
- Aghamohamadi, A. (Department of Physics, Sanandaj Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Hassanzadeh, M. (Reactor and Nuclear Safety Research School, Nuclear Science and Technology Research Institute (NSTRI))
- Received : 2019.02.01
- Accepted : 2019.10.22
- Published : 2020.05.25
The purpose of the current study was to evaluate a spectrum formulation set employed to modify the neutron spectrum of D-D fusion neutrons in a IS plasma focus device using GEANT4, MCNPX2.6, and FLUKA codes. The set consists of a moderator, reflector, collimator and filters of fast neutron and gamma radiation, which placed on the path of 2.45 MeV neutron energy. The treated neutrons eliminate cancerous tissue with minimal damage to other healthy tissue in a method called neutron therapy. The system optimized for a total neutron yield of 109 (n/s). The numerical results indicate that the GEANT4 code for the cubic geometry in the Beam Shaping Assembly 3 (BSA3) is the best choice for the energy of epithermal neutrons.
- S.E. Binney, General Considerations for Neutron Capture Therapy at a Reactor Facility, 2001. No. IAEA-TECDOC-1223.
- M. Catterall, R.D. Errington, D.K. Bewley, Fast neutrons in the treatment of locally advanced breast cancer, Eur. J. Surg. Oncol.: the journal of the European Society of Surgical Oncology and the British Association of Surgical Oncology 13 (4) (1987) 315-319.
- P. Binns, K. Riley, et al., Dosimetric comparison of six epithermal neutron Beams using an ellipsoidal water phantom, Res. Develop. Neutron Capture Therapy (2002) 405-410.
- Geant4 Collaboration, Introduction to GEANT4 User Documentation, 2009.
- Robert S. Stone, John C. Larkin Jr., The treatment of cancer with fast neutrons, Radiology 39 (5) (1942) 608-620.
- M. Clemencic, et al., The LHCb simulation application, Gauss: design, evolution, and experience, J. Phys. Conf. Ser. 331 (3) (2011). IOP Publishing.
- SM Sadat Kiai, et al., Design a 10 kJ IS mather type plasma focus for solid target activation to produce short-lived radioisotopes 12 C (d,n) 13 N. J. Fusion Energy 29 (5) (2010) 421-426.
- Jer^ome M. Verbeke, Jasmina L. Vujic, Ka-Ngo Leung, Neutron beam optimization for boron neutron capture therapy using the DD and DT high-energy neutron sources, Nucl. Technol. 129 (2) (2000) 257-278.
- C.M. Lavelle, et al., Neutronic design and measured performance of the Low Energy Neutron Source (LENS) target moderator reflector assembly, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res. Sect. A Accel. Spectrom. Detect. Assoc. Equip. 587 (2-3) (2008) 324-341.