- Volume 52 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Cyber attack taxonomy for digital environment in nuclear power plants
- Kim, Seungmin (Kyung Hee Univ) ;
- Heo, Gyunyoung (Kyung Hee Univ) ;
- Zio, Enrico (Kyung Hee Univ) ;
- Shin, Jinsoo (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Song, Jae-gu (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- Received : 2019.06.29
- Accepted : 2019.11.01
- Published : 2020.05.25
With the development of digital instrumentation and control (I&C) devices, cyber security at nuclear power plants (NPPs) has become a hot issue. The Stuxnet, which destroyed Iran's uranium enrichment facility in 2010, suggests that NPPs could even lead to an accident involving the release of radioactive materials cyber-attacks. However, cyber security research on industrial control systems (ICSs) and supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems is relatively inadequate compared to information technology (IT) and further it is difficult to study cyber-attack taxonomy for NPPs considering the characteristics of ICSs. The advanced research of cyber-attack taxonomy does not reflect the architectural and inherent characteristics of NPPs and lacks a systematic countermeasure strategy. Therefore, it is necessary to more systematically check the consistency of operators and regulators related to cyber security, as in regulatory guide 5.71 (RG.5.71) and regulatory standard 015 (RS.015). For this reason, this paper attempts to suggest a template for cyber-attack taxonomy based on the characteristics of NPPs and exemplifies a specific cyber-attack case in the template. In addition, this paper proposes a systematic countermeasure strategy by matching the countermeasure with critical digital assets (CDAs). The cyber-attack cases investigated using the proposed cyber-attack taxonomy can be used as data for evaluation and validation of cyber security conformance for digital devices to be applied, and as effective prevention and mitigation for cyber-attacks of NPPs.
- P.A. Khand, "Attack Tree Based Cyber Security Analysis of Nuclear Digital Instrumentation and Control Systems" the Nucleus, vol. 46, 2009, pp. 415-428, 4.
- D.Y. Kim, Cyber security issues imposed on nuclear power plants, Ann. Nucl. Energy 65 (2014) 141-143.
- Charles McLellan, Cyberwar and the future of cybersecurity. http://www.zdnet.com/article/cybersecurity-predictions-for-2016-how-are-they-doing/.
- Siwon Kim, Cyber case analysis for establishing cyber security policy for nuclear facilities, in: Proceedings of the Korean Institute of Communication Sciences, 2017, pp. 696-697.
- J. Shin, H. Son, G. Heo, Cyber security risk evaluation of a nuclear i&c using bn and et, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 49 (3) (2017) 517-524.
- C.K. Lee, Trend of technology of instrumentation and control system in nuclear power plants, Rev. KIISC 22 (5) (2012) 28-34.
- Akihito, Linne and taxonomy in Japan: on the 300th anniversary of his birth, Proc. Jpn. Acad. Ser. B Phys. Biol. Sci. 86 (3) (2010) 143-146.
- Benjamin Samuel Bloom, David R. Krathwohl, Lorin W. Anderson, A Taxonomy for Learning, Teaching, and Assessing: A Revision of Bloom's Taxonomy of Educational Objectives. Longman, 2001.
- S. Hansman, A Taxonomy of Network and Computer Attack Methodologies, 2003.
- S. Hansman, R. Hunt, A taxonomy of network and computer attacks, Comput. Secur. 24 (1) (2005) 31-43.
- T. Fleury, H. Khurana, V. Welch, Towards a taxonomy of attacks against energy control systems, in: International Conference on Critical Infrastructure Protection, Springer, Boston, MA, 2008, pp. 71-85.
- C. Simmons, C. Ellis, S. Shiva, D. Dasgupta, Q. Wu, AVOIDIT: a cyber attack taxonomy, in: Proc. Of 9th Annual Symposium on Information Assurance-ASIA, vol. 14, 2009.
- K. Harrison, G. White, A taxonomy of cyber events affecting communities, in: System Sciences (HICSS), 44th Hawaii International Conference on, 2011, pp. 1-9.
- M.B. Line, A. Zand, G. Stringhini, R. Kemmerer, Targeted attacks against industrial control systems: is the power industry prepared?, in: Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Smart Energy Grid Security, 2014, pp. 13-22.
- A.S. Flowers, S.C. Smith, A. Oltramari, Security taxonomies of industrial control systems, in: Cyber-security of SCADA and Ther Industrial Control Systems, 2016, pp. 111-132.
- Gan Loukas, Vuong Tuan, A taxonomy of cyber attack and defence mechanisms for emergency management networks, in: Pervasive Computing and Communications Workshops (PERCOM Workshops), IEEE International Conference on, 2013, pp. 534-539.
- B. Zhu, A. Joseph, S. Sastry, A taxonomy of cyber attacks on SCADA systems, in: Internet of Things (iThings/CPSCom), 2011 International Conference on and 4th International Conference on Cyber, Physical and Social Computing, 2011, pp. 380-388.
- V.M. Igure, R.D. Williams, Taxonomies of attacks and vulnerabilities in computer systems, Commun. Surv. Tutorials, IEEE 10 (1) (2008).
- J. Mirkovic, P. Reiher, A taxonomy of DDoS attack and DDoS defense mechanisms, Comput. Commun. Rev. 34 (2) (2004) 39-53.
- D. Papp, Z. Ma, L. Buttyan, Embedded systems security: threats, vulnerabilities, and attack taxonomy, in: Privacy, Security and Trust (PST), 2015 13th Annual Conference on, 2015, pp. 145-152.
- J.P. Farwell, R. Rohozinski, Stuxnet and the future of cyber war, Survival 53 (1) (2011) 23-40.
- K.K.R. Choo, The cyber threat landscape: challenges and future research directions, Comput. Secur. 30 (8) (2011) 719-731.
- K. Graves, CEH Certified Ethical Hacker Study Guide: Certified Ethical Hacker Study Guide, Wiley, Hoboken, 2010.
- CAPEC. https://capec.mitre.org, 2018.
- S. Kim, J. Shin, G. Heo, J.G. Song, A systematic classification scheme for cyberattack taxonomy, in: Proceedings of ESREL 2018, 2018, pp. 3013-3019.
- U.S. NRC, Regulatory Guide 5.71, Cyber Security Programs for Nuclear Facilities, 2010.
- D.H. Kang, B.K. Kim, J.C. Na, Cyber threats and defence approaches in SCADA systems, in: Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT), 2014 16th International Conference on, 2014, pp. 324-327.
- Y. Peng, Y. Wang, C. Xiang, X. Liu, Z. Wen, D. Chen, C. Zhang, Cyber-physical attack-oriented industrial control systems (ICS) modeling, analysis and experiment environment, in: Intelligent Information Hiding and Multimedia Signal Processing (IIH-MSP), 2015 International Conference on, 2015, pp. 322-326.
- J.G. Song, J.W. Lee, C.K. Lee, K.C. Kwon, D.Y. Lee, A cyber security risk assessment for the design of I&C systems in nuclear power plants, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 44 (8) (2012) 919-928.
- T.H. Woo, S.M. Kwak, Social networking-based simulations for nuclear security: strategy assessment following nuclear cyber terror on South Korean nuclear power plants (NPPs), Ann. Nucl. Energy 81 (2015) 91-97.
- KINAC/RS.015.01, Regulatory Standard on Cyber Security for Nuclear Facilities, 2016.
- G.Y. Park, C.K. Lee, J.G. Choi, D.H. Kim, Y.J. Lee, K.C. Kwon, Cyber security analysis by attack trees for a reactor protection system, in: Proceedings of the Korean Nuclear Society (KNS) Fall Meeting, 2008, pp. 883-884.
- NRC/NEI.13-10.05, Cyber Security Control Assessments, 2017.
- I.S. Koo, K.W. Kim, S.B. Hong, G.O. Park, J.Y. Park, Digital asset analysis methodology against cyber threat to instrumentation and control system in nuclear power plants, J. Korea Inst. Electron. Commun. Sci. 6 (6) (2011) 839-847. https://doi.org/10.13067/JKIECS.2011.6.6.839