- Volume 52 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Indefinite sustainability of passive residual heat removal system of small modular reactor using dry air cooling tower
- Na, Min Wook (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Shin, Doyoung (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Park, Jae Hyung (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Jeong Ik (Department of Nuclear and Quantum Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Sung Joong (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2019.07.08
- Accepted : 2019.11.04
- Published : 2020.05.25
The small modular reactors (SMRs) of the integrated pressurized water reactor (IPWR) type have been widely developed owing to their enhanced safety features. The SMR-IPWR adopts passive residual heat removal system (PRHRS) to extract residual heat from the core. Because the PRHRS removes the residual heat using the latent heat of the water stored in the emergency cooldown tank, the PRHRS gradually loses its cooling capacity after the stored water is depleted. A quick restoration of the power supply is expected infeasible under station blackout accident condition, so an advanced PRHRS is needed to ensure an extended grace period. In this study, an advanced design is proposed to indirectly incorporate a dry air cooling tower to the PRHRS through an intermediate loop called indefinite PRHRS. The feasibility of the indefinite PRHRS was assessed through a long-term transient simulation using the MARS-KS code. The indefinite PRHRS is expected to remove the residual heat without depleting the stored water. The effect of the environmental temperature on the indefinite PRHRS was confirmed by parametric analysis using comparative simulations with different environmental temperatures.
- J. Vujic, R.M. Bergmann, R. Skoda, M. Miletic, Small modular reactors: Simpler, safer, cheaper? Energy 45 (2012) 288-295.
- A. Lokhov, R. Cameron, V. Sozoniuk, OECD/NEA study on the economics and market of small reactors, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 45 (2013) 701-706.
- M.V.I. Fukami, A. Santecchia, CAREM project: innovative small PWR, Prog. Nucl. Energy 37 (2000) 265-270.
- K.H. Bae, H.C. Kim, M.H. Chang, S.K. Sim, Safety evaluation of the inherent and passive safety features of the smart design, Ann. Nucl. Energy 28 (2001) 333-349.
- M.D. Carelli, L.E. Conway, L. Oriani, B. Petrovic, C.V. Lombardi, M.E. Ricotti, A.C.O. Barroso, J.M. Collado, L. Cinotti, N.E. Todreas, D. Grgic, M.M. Moraes, R.D. Boroughs, H. Ninokata, D.T. Ingersoll, F. Oriolo, The design and safety features of the IRIS reactor, Nucl. Eng. Des. 230 (2004) 151-167.
- K. Shirvan, P. Hejzlar, M.S. Kazimi, The design of a compact integral medium size PWR, Nucl. Eng. Des. 243 (2012) 393-403.
- G.H. Seo, D. Shin, H.H. Son, Y. Kim, J.I. Lee, S.J. Kim, Preliminary Study of Conceptual Design of the ATOM Safety System, Nuclear Reactor Thermal Hydraulics, 2017. Xian China, September 3-8.
- X.H. Nguyen, C. Kim, Y. Kim, An advanced core design for a soluble-boron-free small modular reactor ATOM with centrally-shielded burnable absorber, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 51 (2019) 369-376.
- H. Ninokata, A comparative overview of thermal hydraulic characteristics of integrated primary system nuclear reactors, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 38 (2006) 33-44.
- N. Jiang, M. Peng, T. Cong, Simulation analysis of an open natural circulation for the passive residual heat removal in IPWR, Ann. Nucl. Energy 117 (2018) 223-233.
- P.E. Juhn, J. Kupitz, J. Cleveland, B. Cho, R.B. Lyon, IAEA activities on passive safety systems and overview of international development, Nucl. Eng. Des. 201 (2000) 41-59.
- G.L. Xia, M. Peng, X. Du, Calculation analysis on the natural circulation of a passive residual heat removal system for IPWR, Ann. Nucl. Energy 72 (2014) 189-197.
- H.N. Butt, M. Ilyas, M. Ahmad, F. Aydogan, Assessment of passive safety system of a small modular reactor (SMR), Ann. Nucl. Energy 98 (2016) 191-199.
- H.S. Park, K.Y. Choi, S. Cho, S.J. Yi, C.K. Park, M.K. Chung, Experiments on the performance sensitivity of the passive residual heat removal system of an advanced integral type reactor, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 41 (2009) 53-62.
- B.Y. Min, H.S. Park, Y.C. Shin, S.J. Yi, Experimental verification on the integrity and performance of the passive residual heat removal system for a SMART design with VISTA-ITL, Ann. Nucl. Energy 71 (2014) 118-124.
- Y. Zhang, S. Qiu, G. Su, W. Tian, Design and transient analyses of emergency passive residual heat removal system of CPR1000, Nucl. Eng. Des. 242 (2012) 247-256.
- M. Wang, H. Zhao, Y. Zhang, G. Su, W.X. Tian, S. Qiu, Research on the designed emergency passive residual heat removal system during the station blackout scenario for CPR1000, Ann. Nucl. Energy 45 (2012) 86-93.
- T. Suzuki, Deconstructing the zero-risk mindset: the lessons and future responsibilities for a post-Fukushima nuclear Japan, Bull. At. Sci. 67 (2011) 9-18.
- S.H. Chang, S.H. Kim, J.Y. Choi, Design of integrated passive safety system (IPSS) for ultimate passive safety of nuclear power plants, Nucl. Eng. Des. 260 (2013) 104-120.
- Y. Zhang, S. Qiu, G. Su, W. Tian, Design and transient analyses of emergency passive residual heat removal system of CPR1000. Part I: air cooling condition, Prog. Nucl. Energy 53 (2011) 471-479.
- M. Wang, S. Qiu, W. Tian, G. Su, Y. Zhang, The comparison of designed watercooled and air-cooled passive residual heat removal system for 300 MW nuclear power plant during the feed-water line break scenario, Ann. Nucl. Energy 57 (2013) 164-172.
- M.J. Kim, J.H. Moon, Y. Bae, Y.I. Kim, H.J. Lee, Feasibility test of the concept of long-term passive cooling system of emergency cooldown tank, Ann. Nucl. Energy 80 (2015) 403-408.
- X. Lv, M. Peng, X. Yuan, G. Xia, Design and analysis of a new passive residual heat removal system, Nucl. Eng. Des. 303 (2016) 192-202.
- Z.Y. Guo, X.B. Liu, W.Q. Tao, R.K. Shah, Effectiveness-thermal resistance method for heat exchanger design and analysis, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 53 (2010) 2877-2884.
- H. Ayhan, C.N. Sokmen, Investigation of passive residual heat removal system for VVERs: effects of finned type heat exchanger tubes, Appl. Therm. Eng. 108 (2016) 466-474.
- Thermal-Hydraulic Safety System Research Department, MARS CODE MANUAL VOLUME V: Models and Correlations, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, 2009. KAERI/TR-3872/2004.
- S.S. Jeon, S.J. Hong, J.Y. Park, K.W. Seul, G.C. Park, Assessment of horizontal intube condensation models using MARS code. Part I: Stratified flow condensation, Nucl. Eng. Des. 254 (2013) 254-265.
- X.G. Yu, H.S. Park, Y.S. Kim, K.H. Kang, S. Cho, K.Y. Choi, Systematic analysis of a station blackout scenario for APR1400 with test facility ATLAS and MARS code from scaling viewpoint, Nucl. Eng. Des. 259 (2013) 205-220.
- Thermal-Hydraulic Safety System Research Department, MARS CODE MANUAL VOLUME I: Code Structure, System Models, and Solution Methods, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, 2009. KAERI/TR-2812/2004.
- Thermal-Hydraulic Safety System Research Department, MARS CODE MANUAL VOLUME II: Input Requirements, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, 2009. KAERI/TR-2811/2004.
- A. Hedayat, Simulation and transient analyses of a complete passive heat removal system in a downward cooling pool-type material testing reactor against a complete station blackout and long-term natural convection mode using RELAP5/3.2 code, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 49 (2017) 953-967.
- S.H. Kang, S.W. Lee, H.G. Kang, Performance analysis of the passive safety features of iPOWER under Fukushima-like accident conditions, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 51 (2019) 676-682.
- S.W. Churchill, H.H.S. Chu, Correlating equations for laminar and turbulent free convection from a vertical plate, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 18 (1975) 1323-1329.
A.Y. Inayatov, Correlation of data on heat transfer flow parallel to tube bundles at relative tube pitches of 1.1
- J.C. Chen, Correlation for boiling heat transfer to saturated fluids in convective flow, Ind. Eng. Chem. Process Des. Dev. 5 (1966) 322-329.
- F.W. Dittus, L.M.K. Boelter, Heat transfer in automobile radiators of the tubular type, Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transf. 12 (1985) 3-22.