- Volume 52 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Numerical investigation of film boiling heat transfer on the horizontal surface in an oscillating system with low frequencies
- An, Young Seock (School of Mechanical Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Byoung Jae (School of Mechanical Engineering, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2019.06.12
- Accepted : 2019.11.03
- Published : 2020.05.25
Film boiling is of great importance in nuclear safety as it directly influences the integrity of nuclear fuel in case of accidents involving loss of coolant. Recently, nuclear power plant safety under earthquake conditions has received much attention. However, to the best of our knowledge, there are no existing studies reporting film boiling in an oscillating system. Most previous studies for film boiling were performed on stationary systems. In this study, numerical simulations were performed for saturated film boiling of water on a horizontal surface under low frequencies to investigate the effect of system oscillation on film boiling heat transfer. A coupled level-set and volume-of-fluid method was used to track the interface between the vapor and liquid phases. With a fixed oscillation amplitude, overall, heat transfer decreases with oscillation frequency. However, there is a frequency region in which heat transfer remains nearly constant. This lock-on phenomenon occurs when the oscillation frequency is near the natural bubble release frequency. With a fixed oscillation frequency, heat transfer decreases with oscillation amplitude. With a fixed maximum amplitude of the additional gravity, heat transfer is affected little by the combination of oscillation amplitude and frequency.
- P.J. Berenson, Film-boiling heat transfer from a horizontal surface, J. Heat Transf. 83 (1961) 351-356.
- V.V. Klimenko, Film boiling on a horizontal plate - new correlation, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 24 (1981) 69-79.
- J.H. Lienhard, V.K. Dhir, On the prediction of the minimum pool boiling heat flux, J. Heat Transf. 102 (1980) 457-460.
- D. Banerjee, V.K. Dhir, Study of subcooled film boiling on a horizontal disc: Part 2 - experiments, J. Heat Transf. 123 (2000) 285-293.
- E.R. Hosler, J.W.Westwater, Film boiling on a horizontal plate, ARS J. 32 (1962) 553-558.
- J.H. Lienhard, V.K. Dhir, Extended Hydrodynamic Theory of the Peak and Minimum Pool Boiling Heat Fluxes, NASA, 1973. NASA-CR-2270.
- D.K. Agarwal, S.W.J. Welch, G. Biswas, F. Durst, Planar simulation of bubble growth in film boiling in near-critical water using a variant of the vof method, J. Heat Transf. 126 (2004) 329-338.
- A. Esmaeeli, G. Tryggvason, Computations of film boiling: Part 2 multi-mode film boiling, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 47 (2004) 5463-5476.
- D.Z. Guo, D.L. Sun, Z.Y. Li, W.Q. Tao, Phase change heat transfer simulation for boiling bubbles arising from a vapor film by the voset method, Numer. Heat Transf., Part A: Appl. 59 (2011) 857-881.
- S. Hardt, F. Wondra, Evaporation model for interfacial flows based on a continuum-field representation of the source terms, J. Comput. Phys. 227 (2008) 5871-5895.
- A. Hens, G. Biswas, S. De, Analysis of interfacial instability and multimode bubble formation in saturated boiling using coupled level set and volume-offluid approach, Phys. Fluids 26 (2014), 012105.
- G. Son, V.K. Dhir, Numerical simulation of saturated film boiling on a horizontal surface, J. Heat Transf. 119 (1997) 525-533.
- G. Son, V.K. Dhir, Numerical simulation of film boiling near critical pressures with a level set method, J. Heat Transf. 120 (1998) 183-192.
- G. Tomar, G. Biswas, A. Sharma, S.W.J. Welch, Multimode analysis of bubble growth in saturated film boiling, Phys. Fluids 20 (2008), 092101.
- Y.-Y. Tsui, S.-W. Lin, Y.-N. Lai, F.-C. Wu, Phase change calculations for film boiling flows, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 70 (2014) 745-757.
- M.K. Kim, Y.S. Jeon, I.K. Choi, J.M. Seo, A Study of Seismic Capacity of Nuclear Equipment with Seismic Isolation System, 2004. KAERI/TR-2765/2004.
- D. Wang, C. Zhuang, Y. Zhang, Seismic response characteristics of baseisolated Ap1000 nuclear shield building subjected to beyond-design basis earthquake shaking, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 50 (2018) 170-181.
- D.-L. Sun, J.-L. Xu, L. Wang, Development of a vaporeliquid phase change model for volume-of-fluid method in fluent, Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transf. 39 (2012) 1101-1106.
- ANSYS, Ansys Fluent Theory Guide, 19.2, 2018. Release.