- Volume 52 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
PIV measurement and numerical investigation on flow characteristics of simulated fast reactor fuel subassembly
- Zhang, Cheng (State Key Laboratory of Multiphase Flow in Power Engineering, School of Nuclear Science and Technology, Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Ju, Haoran (State Key Laboratory of Multiphase Flow in Power Engineering, School of Nuclear Science and Technology, Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Zhang, Dalin (State Key Laboratory of Multiphase Flow in Power Engineering, School of Nuclear Science and Technology, Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Wu, Shuijin (China Institute of Atomic Energy) ;
- Xu, Yijun (China Institute of Atomic Energy) ;
- Wu, Yingwei (State Key Laboratory of Multiphase Flow in Power Engineering, School of Nuclear Science and Technology, Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Qiu, Suizheng (State Key Laboratory of Multiphase Flow in Power Engineering, School of Nuclear Science and Technology, Xi'an Jiaotong University) ;
- Su, G.H. (State Key Laboratory of Multiphase Flow in Power Engineering, School of Nuclear Science and Technology, Xi'an Jiaotong University)
- Received : 2019.06.06
- Accepted : 2019.10.14
- Published : 2020.05.25
The flow characteristics of reactor fuel assembly always intrigue the designers and the experimentalists among the myriad phenomena that occur simultaneously in a nuclear core. In this work, the visual experimental method has been developed on the basis of refraction index matching (RIM) and particle image velocimetry (PIV) techniques to investigate the detailed flow characteristics in China fast reactor fuel subassembly. A 7-rod bundle of simulated fuel subassembly was fabricated for fine examination of flow characteristics in different subchannels. The experiments were performed at condition of Re=6500 (axial bulk velocity 1.6 m/s) and the fluid medium was maintained at 30℃ and 1.0 bar during operation. As for results, axial and lateral flow features were observed. It is shown that the spiral wire has an inhibitory effect on axial flow and significant intensity of lateral flow mixing effect is induced by the wire. The root mean square (RMS) of lateral velocity fluctuation was acquired after data processing, which indicates the strong turbulence characteristics in different flow subchannels.
- IAEA, Fast Reactor Database, 2006 Update, IAEA, Vienna, 2006. IAEA-Tecdoc-1531.
- Jae-Ho Jeong, Min-Seop Song, Kwi-Lim Lee, RANS based CFD methodology for a real scale 217-pin wire-wrapped fuel assembly of KAERI PGSFR, Nucl. Eng. Des. 313 (2017) 470-485. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2017.01.007
- Jing Chen, Dalin Zhang, Ping Song, et al., CFD investigation on thermalhydraulic behaviors of a wire-wrapped fuel subassembly for sodium-cooled fast reactor, Ann. Nucl. Energy 113 (2018) 256-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2017.11.023
- Jae-Ho Jeong, Yoo Jin, Kwi-Lim Lee, et al., Three-dimensional flow phenomena in a wire-wrapped 37-pin fuel bundle for SFR, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 47 (5) (2015) 523-533. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.net.2015.06.001
- Song Min Seop, Jeong Jae Ho, Kim Eung Soo, Numerical investigation on vortex behavior in wire-wrapped fuel assembly for a sodium fast reactor, Nucl. Eng. Technol. 51 (2019) 665-675. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.net.2018.12.012
- L.D. Smith III, M.E. Conner, et al., Benchmarking computational fluid dynamics for application to PWR fuel, in: Th-10th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering, Arlington, Virginia, USA, 2002, pp. 14-18. April.
- Glenn E. McCreery, Hugh M. McIlroy, INL Experimental Roadmap for Thermal Hydraulic Code Validation, 2008, pp. 35-53.
- SeokKyu Chang, Sang Ki Moona, Phenomenological investigations on the turbulent flow structures in A rod bundle array with mixing devices, Nucl. Eng. Des. 238 (2008) 600-609. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2007.02.037
Jinbiao Xiong, Yu Nan, et al., Experimental investigation on anisotropic turbulent flow in a 6
$\times$6 rod bundle with LDV, Nucl. Eng. Des. 278 (2014) 333-343. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2014.08.004
- C.Y. Lee, C.H. Shin, W.K. In, Effect of gap width on turbulent mixing of parallel flow in a square channel with a cylindrical rod, Exp. Therm. Fluid Sci. 47 (2013) 98-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2013.01.005
- Im Sunghyuk, Tae Kim Hyoung, Bo Wook Rhee, et al., PIV measurements of the flow patterns in a CANDU-6 model, Ann. Nucl. Energy 98 (2016) 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2016.07.012
- J. Pacio, M. Daubner, F. Fellmoser, et al., Experimental study of heavy-liquid metal (LBE) flow and heat transfer along a hexagonal 19-rod bundle with wire spacers, Nucl. Eng. Des. 301 (2016) 111-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2016.03.003
- Thien Nguyen, Yassin Hassan, Stereoscopic particle image velocimetry measurements of flow in a rod bundle with a spacer grid and mixing vanes at a low Reynolds number, Int. J. Heat Fluid Flow 67 (2017) 202-219. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2017.08.011
- Thien Nguyen, Goth Nolan, Philip Jones, et al., Stereoscopic PIV measurements of near-wall flow in a tightly packed rod bundle with wire spacers, Exp. Therm. Fluid Sci. 92 (April 2018) 420-435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2017.11.009
- R.V. Edwards, A. Dybbs, Refractive index matching for velocity measurements in complex geometries, TSI Quarterly 10 (4) (1984) 3-13.
- Sebastien Wiederseiner, Nicolas Andreini, GaelEpely Chauvin, et al., Refractive-index and density matching in concentrated particle suspensions: a review, Exp. Fluid 50 (2011) 1183-1206. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-010-0996-8
- e K.L. Low, P.H. Kutt, Refraction through cylindrical tubes, Exp. Fluid 13 (1992) 315-320. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00209503
- INSIGHT 4G Software Manual User's Guide, 2017. P/N 6004904, March.
- J.J. Charonko, P.P. Vlachos, Estimation of uncertainty bounds for individual particle image velocimetry measurements from cross-correlation peak ratio, Meas. Sci. Technol. 24 (2013).
- D. Ragni, F. Schrijer, B.W. Van Oudheusden, et al., Particle tracer response across shocks measured by PIV, Exp. Fluid 50 (1) (2011) 53-64, 178. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-010-0892-2
- Fuat Odar, W.S. Hamilton, Forces on a sphere accelerating in a viscous fluid, Fluid Mech. 18 (1964) 302-314. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112064000210
- R. Gajapathy, K. Velusamy, P. Selvaraj, et al., CFD investigation of helical wirewrapped 7-pin fuel bundle and the challenges in modeling full scale 217 pin bundle, Nucl. Eng. Des. 237 (24) (2007) 2332-2342. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2007.05.003
- Rui Zhang, Tenglong Cong, Wenxi Tian, et al., Effects of turbulence models on forced convection subcooled boiling in vertical pipe, Ann. Nucl. Energy (2015) 293-302.
- Yang Liu, Yu Hong, Yizhe Liu, Numerical analysis of flow and heat in wirewrapped blanket assembly of CEFR, in: The 21th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering, Chengdu, China, 2013.