- Volume 52 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Investigation on reverse flow characteristics in U-tubes under two-phase natural circulation
- Chu, Xi (College of Nuclear Science and Technology, Naval University of Engineering) ;
- Li, Mingrui (College of Nuclear Science and Technology, Naval University of Engineering) ;
- Chen, Wenzhen (College of Nuclear Science and Technology, Naval University of Engineering) ;
- Hao, Jianli (College of Nuclear Science and Technology, Naval University of Engineering)
- Received : 2019.05.15
- Accepted : 2019.10.14
- Published : 2020.05.25
The vertically inverted U-tube steam generator (UTSG) is widely used in the pressurized water reactor (PWR). The reverse flow behavior generally exists in some U-tubes of a steam generator (SG) under both single- and two-phase natural circulations (NCs). The behavior increases the flow resistance in the primary loop and reduces the heat transfer in the SG. As a consequence, the NC ability as well as the inherent safety of nuclear reactors is faced with severe challenges. The theoretical models for calculating single- and two-phase flow pressure drops in U-tubes are developed and validated in this paper. The two-phase reverse flow characteristics in two types of SGs are investigated base on the theoretical models, and the effects of the U-tube height, bending radius, inlet steam quality and primary side pressure on the behavior are analyzed. The conclusions may provide some promising references for SG optimization to reduce the disadvantageous behavior. It is also of significance to improve the NC ability and ensure the PWR safety during some accidents.
- Z.J. Yang, J.Q. Shan, J.L. Gou, Preliminary assessment of a combined passive system for typical 3-loop PWR CPR1000, Nucl. Eng. Des. 313 (2017) 141-161.
- K. Kawanishi, A. Tsuge, M. Fujiwara, Experimental study on heat removal during cold leg small break LOCAs in PWRs, J. Nucl. Sci. Technol. 28 (6) (1991) 555-569.
- V. Kouhia, V. Riikonen, O.P. Kauppinen, Benchmark exercise on SBLOCA experiment of PWR PACTEL facility, Ann. Nucl. Energy 59 (2013) 149-156.
- S.N. Kim, W.H. Jang, The simulation of Semiscale natural circulation test S-NC- 3, S-NC-4 using RELAP 5/Mod 3.1, J. Korean Nucl. Soc. 30 (5) (1998) 424-434.
- F. D'Auria, G.M. Galassi, Flowrate and density oscillations during two-phase natural circulation in PWR typical conditions, Nucl. Eng. Des. 122 (1990) 209-218.
- G.F. De Santi, F. Mayinger, Steam condensation and liquid holdup in steam generator U-tubes during oscillatory natural circulation, Exp. Heat Transf. 6 (1993) 367-387.
- Y. Kukita, H. Nakamura, K. Tasaka, Nonuniform steam generator U-tube flow distribution during natural circulation tests in ROSA-IV large scale test facility, Nucl. Sci. Eng. 99 (1988) 289-298.
- B. Schoen, P. Weber, Nitrogen in a steam generator of a PWR under SBLOCA conditions: experimental investigations in the PKL test facility and comparison with analytical studies, Exp. Therm. Fluid Sci. 15 (1997) 238-252.
- Y.J. Chung, H.C. Kim, M.H. Chang, Post test analysis to natural circulation experiment on the BETHSY facility using the MARS 1.4 code, J. Korean Nucl. Soc. 33 (6) (2001) 638-651.
- Y.M. Ferng, C.H. Lee, Numerical simulation of natural circulation experiments conducted at the IIST facility, Nucl. Eng. Des. 148 (1994) 119-128.
- J. Sanders, Stability of single-phase natural circulation with inverted U-tube steam generators, J. Heat Transf. 110 (1988) 735-742.
- J.L. Hao, W.Z. Chen, D. Zhang, Effect of U-tube length on reverse flow in UTSG primary side under natural circulation, Ann. Nucl. Energy 56 (2013) 66-70.
- J.L. Hao, W.Z. Chen, G.J. Hu, X. Chu, D. Zhang, L. Yu, Experimental research on reverse flow critical point among parallel U-tubes in SG, Prog. Nucl. Energy 98 (2017) 59-70.
- J.J. Jeong, M. Hwang, Y.J. Lee, B.D. Chung, Non uniform flow distribution in the steam generator U-tubes of a pressurized water reactor plant during single and two-phase natural circulations, Nucl. Eng. Des. 231 (2004) 303-314.
- X. Chu, W.Z. Chen, J.L. Hao, D. Zhang, Investigation on reverse flow phenomenon in UTSGs under two-phase natural circulation with low steam quality, Ann. Nucl. Energy 119 (2018) 1-6.
- W.Z. Chen, L. Yu, J.L. Hao, Thermal Hydraulics of Nuclear Power Plants, Chinese Atomic Energy Press, Beijing, 2013 (in Chinese).
- G.B. Wallis, One-dimensional Two-phase Flow, McGraw Hill Book Co., New York City, 1969.
- L. Friedel, Improved Friction Pressure Drop Correlations for Horizontal and Vertical Two-phase Pipe Flow, European Two-Phase Flow Group Meet, Ispra, Italy, 1979.
- Y. Taitel, A.E. Dukler, Flow Regime Transition for Vertical Upward Gas-Liquid Flow, in: AICHE 70th Annual Meeting, 1979. New York).
- J.R.S. Thom, Prediction of pressure drop during forced circulation boiling of water, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf. 7 (1964) 709-724.
- D. Chisholm, Two-phase flow in bends, Int. J. Multiph. Flow 6 (4) (1980) 363-367.
- K.C. Jain, Self-sustained Hydrodynamic Oscillations in a Natural-Circulation Two-Phase-Flow Boiling Loop, Argonne National Laboratory Report, 1965. ANL-7073.