- Volume 48 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Material Properties of Acetylated Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF)
아세틸화 처리 중밀도 섬유판(MDF)의 재질 평가
- LEE, Jong Shin (Department of Biobased Materials. Chungnam National University) ;
- KIM, Soung Joon (Younglim Timber Co., LTD)
- Received : 2020.01.30
- Accepted : 2020.05.01
- Published : 2020.05.25
This study examined the material properties of MDF manufactured using acetylated pinus radiata fibers against moisture and compared the properties with the fiberboard quality standards of KS F 3200. Since acetylated MDF shows very low moisture content, water absorption and thickness swelling than the quality standards, it is expected to have an excellent dimensional stability. The bending strength in wetting condition of the acetylated MDF reached approximately 70% of the bending strength in dry condition, making it suitable for the quality standards. The internal bond of the acetylated MDF in the wetting condition was higher than the minimum internal bond of the quality standards in the dry condition, showing a good water resistance. Since the water droplet contact angle of the acetylated MDF is larger than that of untreated MDF, it is determined that it contributes in improving the water resistance due to the low wettability.
- Arima, T. 2000. Wood waste․ recycling. Wood Industry 55(11): 541-544.
- Chung, T.J., Lee, B.H., Lee, H.J., Kwon, H.J., Jang, W.B., Kim, H.J., Eom, Y.G. 2011. Performance evaluation of bio-composites composed of acetylated kenaf fibers and polylactic acid (PLA). Elastomers and Composites 46(3): 195-203.
- Imamura, Y. 1989. Decay resistance board by chemical modification. Wood Industry 44(11): 40-42.
- Kang, H.Y., Lee, J.S., Hur, J.Y., Lee, G.Y., Sim, J.O. 1996. Acetylation of traditional bamboo flute. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 24(3): 5-11.
- Kawai, S. 1997. Today and future: R & D new lignocellulosic composite products. Wood Research and Technical Notes 33: 26-32
- Kiguchi, M., Suzuki, M. 1985. Physical properties of particleboard with acetylated chips and binder. Mokuzai Gakkaishi 31: 200-208.
- Korai, H. 2012. Improvement of acetylated fiberboard ozonization. Journal of The Adhesion Society of Japan 48(1): 30-35. https://doi.org/10.11618/adhesion.48.30
- Lee, J.M., Lee, W.H. 2018. Dimensional stabilization through heat treatment of thgermaly compressed wood of Korean pine. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 46(5): 471-485.
- Lee, P.W., Park, S.J., Lee, H.H., Lee, W.Y., Kim, S.C., Jeong, H.S., Hong, B.H., Kim, J.M., Hyeon, J.I., Jeong, D.S. 1981. Wood Engineering. Hyangmunsa, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Lee. W.H., Hong, S.H., Kang, H.Y. 2015. Effects of drying temperature and acetylation on the retention of polyethylene glycol in red pine wood disks. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 43(6): 784-791. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2015.43.6.784
- Priadi, T., Shorihah, M., Karlinasari, L. 2019. Water absorption and dimensional stability of heat-treated fast-growing hardwoods. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(5): 567-578.
- Rowell, R.M., Feist, W.C., Hon, D.N.-S., Okino, E.Y.A., Santana, M.A.E., Souza, M.R., De. 1995. Chemical modification of agricultural fibers for property enhanced composites. Wood and Fiber Science 27(4): 428.
- Rowell, R.M., Imamura, Y., Kawai, S., Norimoto, M. 1989. Dimensional stability, decay resistance, and mechanical properties of veneer-faced low- density particleboards made from acetylated wood. Wood and Fiber Science 21(1): 67-79.
- Rowell, R.M., Tillman, A.-M., Simonson, R. 1986. A simplified procedure for the acetylation of hardwood and softwood flaxes for flakeboard production. Journal of Wood Chemistry and Technology 6(3): 427-448. https://doi.org/10.1080/02773818608085236
- Rowell, R.M., Tillman, A.M., Zhengtian, L. 1986. Dimensional stabilization of flakeboard by chemical modification. Wood Science and Technology 20(1): 83-95. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00350696
- Rowell, R.M., Youngquist, J.A., Rowell, J.S., Hyatt, J.A. 1991. Dimensional stability of aspen fiberboard made from acetylated fiber. Wood and Fiber Science 23(4): 558-566.
- Saito, F. 1972. Spring back of particleboard thickness. Wood Industry 27(1): 14-18.
- Sekino, N. 2006. Bonding durability and evaluation method of wood panel materials. Wood Preservation 32(4): 140-144. https://doi.org/10.5990/jwpa.32.140
- Sekino, N., Inoue, M. 1996. Stabilization technology of wooden board-Mechanism and control method of thickness swelling. Wood Industry 51(5): 194-197.
- Sekino, N., Okuma, M. 1986. Performance of construction particleboard II - Bending in service as underlayment of floors. Mokuzai Gakkaishi 32(3): 163-169.
- Subiyanto, B., Yusuf, S., Kawai, S., Imamura, Y. 1989. Particleboard from acetylated Albizzia particles I: The effect of acetyl weight gain on mechanical properties and dimensional stability. Mokuzai Gakkaishi 35: 412-418.
- Wulf, M., Netuschil, P., Hora, G., Schmich, P., Cammenga, H.K. 1997. Investigation of the wetting characteristics of medium density fibreboards (MDF) by means of contact angle measurements. Holz als Roh-und Werkstoff 55: 331-335. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001070050241
- Yoshida, Y., Kawai, S., Imamura, Y., Nishimoto, K,, Satou, T., Nakaji, M. 1986. Production technology for acetylated low-density particleboard i-mechanical properties and dimensional stability. Mokuzai Gakkaishi 32: 965-971.