- Volume 48 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Exploration of Preservatives that Inhibit Wood Feeding by Inhibiting Termite Intestinal Enzyme Activity
흰개미 장내 효소 활성 억제로 목재의 섭식을 저해하는 보존 처리제의 탐색
- LEE, Jeung-Min (Department of Restoration Technology Division, National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage) ;
- KIM, Young Hee (Department of Restoration Technology Division, National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage) ;
- HONG, Jin Young (Department of Restoration Technology Division, National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage) ;
- LIM, BoA (Department of Restoration Technology Division, National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage) ;
- PARK, Ji Hee (Department of Restoration Technology Division, National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage)
- Received : 2020.03.31
- Accepted : 2020.04.29
- Published : 2020.05.25
In Korea, damages to wooden cultural properties by termites have been reported all over the country, including Ulleungdo Island and Jeju Island. In order to reduce the damage caused by termites, most cultural properties damaged by them are treated with fumigation or drug treatment on the soil to kill or repel them. The number of treatments is decreasing due to cost and safety problems, and new methods needed to cope with this situation. After extracting an enzyme by selecting only worker termites from the termites collected in Shinan, Jeonnam, as a result of measuring the enzyme activity using xylan of cellulose and hemicellulose that are the components of wood, the activity of termite intestinal enzymes in xylan was higher than that of cellulose having a high molecular weight. Therefore, in this study, as a result of exploring over 600 species of medicinal plant extracts that inhibit the activity of termite intestinal enzymes using xylan as a substrate, the inhibitory effect was significant in Borneolum Syntheticum, Ephedra sinica, and Menthol. Selected Borneolum Syntheticum, Ephedra sinica, and Menthol's extracts not only inhibited the activity of termite intestinal enzymes, but also confirmed that they have insecticidal activation and inhibitory effects on feeding in the result of the direct treatment.
- Aanen, D.K. 2006. As you reap, so shall you sow: coupling of harvesting and inoculating stabilizes the mutualism between termites and fungi. Biology Letters 2(2): 209-212. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsbl.2005.0424
- Ai, X., Hou, Y., Wang, X., Wang, X., Liang, Y., Zhu, Z., Wang, P., Zeng, Y., Li, X., Lai, X., Meng, X., Li, Q. 2019. Amelioration of dry eye syndrome in db/db mice with diabetes mellitus by treatment with Tibetan medicine formula Jikan Mingmu Drops. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 241: 111992. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2019.111992
- Ben Guerrero, E., Arneodo, J., Bombarda Campanha, R., Abrão de Oliveira, P., Veneziano Labate, M.T., Regiani Cataldi, T., Campos, E., Cataldi, A., Labate, C.A., Martins Rodrigues, C., Talia, P. 2015. Prospection and evaluation of (Hemi) cellulolytic enzymes using untreated and pretreated biomasses in two argentinean native termites. PLOS ONE 10(8): e0136573. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0136573
- Chung, Y.J., Kim, S.H., Kim, Y.J., Yu, J.S. 2015. Applicability study on Reticulitermes speratus kyushuensis (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) colony eliminator to preserve wooden cultural heritage. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 43(6): 818-825. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2015.43.6.818
- Cosgrove, D.J. 2005. Growth of the plant cell wall. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 6(11); 850-861.
- Durak, H., Aysu, T. 2015. Effect of pyrolysis temperature and catalyst on production of bio-oil and bio-char from avocado seeds. Research on Chemical Intermediates 41(11): 8067-8097. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11164-014-1878-0
- Feng, Y.X., Wang, Y., Geng, Z.F., Zhang, D., Almaz, B., Du, S.S. 2020. Contact toxicity and repellent efficacy of Valerianaceae spp. to three stored-product insects and synergistic interactions between two major compounds camphene and bornyl acetate. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 190: 110106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2019.110106
- Gugnani, K.S., Vu, N., Rondón-Ortiz, A.N., Böhlke, M., Maher, T.J., Pino-Figueroa, A.J. 2018. Neuroprotective activity of macamides on manganese- induced mitochondrial disruption in U-87 MG glioblastoma cells. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 340(1): 67-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2017.12.014
- Hadi, Y.S., Massijaya, M.Y,. Abdillah, I.B., Pari, G., Arsyad, W.O.M. 2020. Color change and resistance to subterranean termite attack ofmangium (Acacia mangium) and sengon (Falcataria moluccana) smoked wood. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 48(1): 1-11.
- Ibrahim, M.A., Cantrell, C.L., Jeliazkova, E.A., Astatkie, T., Zheljazkov, V.D. 2020. Utilization of nutmeg (Myristica fragrans Houtt.) seed hydrodistillation time to produce essential oil fractions with varied compositions and pharmacological effects. Molecules 25(3): E565. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules25030565
- Karamaouna, F., Kimbaris, A., Michaelakis, A., Papachristos, D., Polissiou, M., Papatsakona, P., Tsora, E. 2013. Insecticidal activity of plant essential oils against the vine mealybug, Planococcus ficus. Journal of Insect Science 13(1). Doi: 10.1673/031.013.14201. https://doi.org/10.1673/031.013.14201
- Kasrati A1, Alaoui Jamali C1, Bekkouche K1, Wohlmuth H2, Leach D3, Abbad A1. 2015. Comparative evaluation of antioxidant and insecticidal properties of essential oils from five Moroccan aromatic herbs. Journal of Food Science and Technology 52(4): 2312-2319. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-014-1284-z
- Miller, G.L. 1959. Use of Dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar. Analytical Chemistry 31(3): 426-428. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60147a030
- Muhlbauer, R.C., Lozano, A., Palacio, S., Reinli, A., Felix, R. 2003. Common herbs, essential oils, and monoterpenes potently modulate bone metabolism. Bone 32(4): 372-380. https://doi.org/10.1016/S8756-3282(03)00027-9
- Mun, S.P., Nicholas, D.D. 2017. Effect of proanthocyanidin- rich extracts from Pinus radiata bark on termite feeding deterrence. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 45(6): 720-727.
- National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage, 2016. Investigation on biological species harmful to wooden cultural heritage (Daejeon AND Jeju). Daejeon, Korea.
- Rozza, A.L., Meira de Faria, F., Souza Brito, A.R., Pellizzon, C.H. 2014. The gastroprotective effect of menthol: involvement of anti-apoptotic, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities. PLoS One 9(1): e86686. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0086686
- Sayout, A., Ouarhach, A., Rabie, R., Dilagui, I., Soraa, N., Romane, A. 2020. Evaluation of antibacterial activity of Lavandulapedunculata subsp. atlantica (Braun-Blanq.) romo essential oil and selected terpenoids against resistant bacteria strains-structureactivity relationships. Biochemistry & Molecular Biology 17(1): e1900496.
- Sen, S., Dehingia, M., Talukdar, N.C., Khan, M. 2017. Chemometric analysis reveals links in the formation of fragrant bio-molecules during agarwood (Aquilaria malaccensis) and fungal interactions. Scientific Reports 14(7): 44406.
- Shasany, A.K., Khanuja, S.P., Dhawan, S., Kumar, S. 2000. Positive correlation between menthol content and in vitro menthol tolerance in Mentha arvensis L. cultivars. Journal of Biosciences 25(3): 263-266. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02703934
- Talebi, S., Sabokbar, A., Riazipour, M., Saffari, M. 2014. Comparison of the in vitro effect of chemical and herbal mouthwashes on Candida albicans. Jundishapur Journal of Microbiology 7(12): e12563.
- Tarayre, C., Bauwens, J., Brasseur, C., Mattéotti, C., Millet, C., Guiot, P.A., Destain, J., Vandenbol, M., Portetelle, D., De Pauw, E., Haubruge, E., Francis, F., Thonart, P. 2015. Isolation and cultivation of xylanolytic and cellulolytic Sarocladium kiliense and Trichoderma virens from the gut of the termite Reticulitermes santonensis. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 22(6): 4369-4382. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-014-3681-2
- Tayade, A.B., Dhar, P., Kumar, J., Sharma, M., Chauhan, R.S., Chaurasia, O.P., Srivastava, R.B. 2013. Chemometric profile of root extracts of Rhodiola imbricata Edgew. with hyphenated gas chromatography mass spectrometric technique. RLOS ONE 8(1): e52797. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0052797
- Terrett, O.M., Dupree, P. 2019. Covalent interactions between lignin and hemicelluloses in plant secondary cell walls. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 56: 97-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.copbio.2018.10.010
- Wu, C.C., Tsai, C.L., Liang, W.R., Takematsu, Y., Li, H.F. 2019. Identification of subterranean termite genus, Reticulitermes (Blattodea: Rhinotermitidae) in Taiwan. Journal of Economic Entomology 112(6): 2872-2881. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/toz183
- Zukowski, J., Su, N.Y. 2019. Cuticular permeability, percent body water loss, and relative humidity equilibria comparisons of four termite species. Journal of Insect Science 19(5): 1-6.