- Volume 48 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on Application of Enzyme Additives to Improve Drying Speed of Urushi Lacquer
옻칠의 건조속도 향상을 위한 효소첨가제 적용 연구
- PARK, Ji Hyeon (Department of Heritage conservation and Restoration, Graduate School of Cultural Heritage, Korea National University of Cultural Heritage) ;
- PARK, Jung Hae (Department of Heritage conservation and Restoration, Graduate School of Cultural Heritage, Korea National University of Cultural Heritage) ;
- KIM, Soo Chul (Department of Conservation Science, Korea National University of Cultural Heritage)
- Received : 2019.12.27
- Accepted : 2020.04.23
- Published : 2020.05.25
Laccase was applied to improve the drying speed of urushi lacquer to confirm a potential use of laccase as an enzyme additive. As a result of applying laccase of lacquer and white-rot fungi, drying times for both Korean and Chinese specimens were reduced. All of the specimens to which laccase was applied were dried(set to touch) within 60 minutes from the start of the drying, and the drying rate was improved as the content ratio of laccase increased. In addition, although there were differences in hardening drying time between Korean and Chinese lacquers, it was confirmed that hardening drying took place even at room with temperature of 20 ± 2 ℃ and humidity of 55-60%. As a result of lacquer layer analysis of the dried specimens, the drying speed was improved when the content ratio of laccase to urushiol was 5:1, and there were no differences in chromaticity and adhesion, confirmed that the layers were stable. It was observed that the gloss of both Korean and Chinese lacquers were reduced when laccase was applied. However, according to the analysis of FT-IR and Py-GC/MS, the changes in components were not as sufficient to affect the physical properties. Thus, its applicability as an additive was confirmed.
- Choi, J.W., Kim, S.C. 2018. Analysis of lacquer and CNSL using infrared spectrometer and pyrolysis- GC/MS. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 46(1): 1-9.
- Do, C.H., Lee, T.Y. 1999. Lacquer coatings on the koryo buddhist canon printing wood blocks. Journal of Conservation Science 8(1): 33-39.
- Han, J.S. 2014. Diversification and mass production of traditional lacquer. Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism Standardization pp.3-11.
- Hidayat, W., Qi, Yue., Jang, J.H., Park, B.H., Banuwa, I.S., Febrianto, F., Kim, N.H. 2017. Color change and consumer preferences towards color of heattreated Korean white pine and royal paulownia woods. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 45(2): 213-222. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2017.45.2.213
- Hwang, I.S., Park, J.H., Kim, S.C. 2018. A study on the optical characteristics according to the lacquer drying conditions for the conservation of lacquerwares. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 46(5): 610-621.
- Jeong, I.B., Yoon, H.D., Maeng, J.S., Kang, S.W., Ha, Y.C., Jeong, G.J., Choi, H.T., Kim, J.H. 1992. Characteristics of lacase secreted by Lentinus edodes. The Korean Journal of Microbiology 30(4): 252-259.
- Jung, H.C. 2019. Enhancement of laccase production from wood-rotting fungus by co-culture with trichoderma longibrachiatum. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(2): 210-220.
- Kim, K.J., Shin, K.S., Maeng, J.S., Kang, S.O., Hah, Y.C., Hong, S.W. 1987. Characterization of laccase from Pleurotus ostreatus. The Korean Journal of Microbiology 25(2): 148-156.
- Kim, S.C. 2007. Analysis and conservation of lacquer wares from archaeological sites in Korea. Doctoral thesis, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju.
- Kim, S.C., Lee, G.H., Kang, H.T., Shin, S.P., Han, M.S. 2010. Lacquer manufacturing method for the wooden coffins of king muryeong's tomb based on the scientific analysis. Journal of Conservation Science 26(3): 247-258.
- Kim, J.E. 2016. A study of adhesion characteristics and manufacturing techniques for lacquer with additives. Master thesis, Graduate School of Cultural Heritage, Korea National University of Cultural Heritage, Buyeo.
- Lee, P.W., Kim, H.J. 1990. Characteristics of hardening behavior of Korean Rhus Lacquer by F.T.-I.R. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 18(1): 10-14.
- Lee, S.J. 2017. Conservation Ethics, Graphic Korea, pp.61-77, Seoul.
- Lee, Y.H. 2010. A study of the techniques of the ancient korean lacquer wares. Master thesis, Kongju National University, Gongju.
- Park, S.J., Lee, J.Y., Cho, N.S., Cho, B.M. 1993. Wood science experiment book, Gwangil Cultural Company, pp.623-653, Seoul.
- Park, S.Y., Kim, J.C., Kim, J.H., Yang, S.Y., Kwon, O.K., Yeo, H.M., Cho, K.C., Choi, I.G. 2017. Possibility of wood classification in Korean softwood species using near-infrared spectroscopy based on their chemical compositions. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 45(2): 202-212. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2017.45.2.202
- Park, J.S., Ahn, S.A. 2018. Analysis of dried Asian lacquer by pyrolysis/GC/MS. Analytical Science and Technology 31(2): 78-87.
- Roh, J.K., Kim,Y.G. 2008. Grade classification of urushi lacquer(II) grade classification of urushi lacquer by scientific methods. Journal of the Korea Furniture Society 19(5): 307-318.
- Son, D.H. 2006. Traditional lacquer craft. Korea Cultural Properties Protection Foundation, pp.8-54.
- Song, H.K., Han, C.H. 2001. Study on refining technique of raw lacquer (2): Refining and mechanical properties of refined lacquer according as mixing rate of components. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 29(1): 43-51.
- Shin, S.P. 2008. The evaluation of conservation characteristics on lacquer coats by the reproduction experiment. Master thesis, Kongju National University, Gongju.
- Won, C.H., Lee, S.Y., Baek, Y.J. 2004. Degradation of PAHs using Laccase from Trametes sp. Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 5(1): 43-48.
- Yeon, S.H., Park, S.Y., Kim, J.H., Kim, J.C., Yang, S.Y., Yeo, H.M., Kwon, O.K., Choi, I.G. 2019. Effect of organic solvent extractives on Korean softwoods classification using near-infrared spectroscopy. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 47(4): 509-518.