- Volume 23 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Tide-induced changes in marine fish cage-shape cause changes in swimming behavior of cultured chub mackerel (Scomber japonicus)
- Hwang, Bo-Kyu (Division of Marine Industry Transportation Science and Technology, Kunsan National University) ;
- Lee, Jihoon (Department of Marine Porduction of Management, Chonnam National University) ;
- Shin, Hyeon-Ok (Division of Marine Production System Management, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2020.02.10
- Accepted : 2020.03.30
- Published : 2020.04.30
We performed field measurements of the behavioral changes in cultured chub mackerel (Scomber japonicus) caused by tide-induced changes in the shapes of their small-sized tetragonal fish cages. The field measurements were conducted in two separate periods: neap tide, a period in which the shape of the fish cages was stable; and spring tide, a period in which the fish cages are significantly deformed, which was expected to have significant influences on fish behavior. In the spring tide, the cages were deformed greatly by the moving water, with different water velocities affecting the cages to different degrees; the volume loss was estimated at 4.9% and 7.3% for v = 0.114 m/s and v = 0.221 m/s, respectively. The fish exhibited significantly different behaviors between the neap tide and spring tide. During the neap tide, the fish remained in the lower part of the cage, but during the spring tide they made frequent upward and downward movements, and their horizontal distribution changed significantly due to the changes in the shape of the cage. The cage deformation during the spring tide greatly influenced the swimming behavior of fish.
- Anras MB, Lagardere JP. Measuring cultured fish swimming behavior: first results on rainbow trout using acoustic telemetry in tanks. Aquaculture. 2004;240:175-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2004.02.019.
- Aoki I. A simulation study on the schooling mechanism in fish. B Jpn Soc Sci Fish. 1982;48:1081-8. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.48.1081.
- Baras E, Lagardere JP. Fish telemetry in aquaculture: review and perspectives. Aquacult Int. 1995;3:77-102. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00117876.
- Beveridge M. Cage aquaculture. 3rd ed. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell; 2004.
- Bi CW, Zhao YP, Dong GH, Cui Y, Gui FK. Experimental and numerical investigation on the damping effect of net cages in waves. J Fluids Struct. 2015;55:122-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2015.02.010.
- Brinker RC, Minnick R. The surveying handbook. 2nd ed. New York: Springer-Verlag; 1995.
- Conte FS. Stress and the walfare of cultured fish. Appl Anim Behav Sci. 2004;86:205-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2004.02.003.
- Cubitt KF, Churchill S, Rowsell D, Scruton DA and McKinley RS. 2005. 3-dimensional positioning of salmon in commercial sea cages: assessment of a tool for monitoring behaviour. In: Spedicato MT, Lembo G, Marmulla G (ed) Proceedings of the fifth Conference on Fish Telemetry, Ustica, Italy, 9-13 June 2003.
- Ehrenberg JE, Steig TW. Improved techniques for studying the temporal and spatial behavior of fish in a fixed location. ICES J Mar Sci. 2003;60:700-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-3139(03)00087-0.
- Fore M, Dempster T, Alfredsen JA, Johansen V, Johansson D. Modelling of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) behaviour in sea-cages: a Lagrangian approach. Aquaculture. 2009;288:196-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2008.11.031.
- Gui F, Li Y, Dong G, Guan C. Application of CCD image scanning to sea-cage motion response analysis. Aquacult Eng. 2006;35:179-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaeng.2006.01.003.
- Huth A, Wissel C. The simulation of the movement of fish schools. J Theor Biol. 1992;156:365-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5193(05)80681-2.
- Hwang BK, Shin HO. Analysis on the movement of bag-net in set-net by acoustic telemetry techniques. Fish Sci. 2003;69:300-7. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-2906.2003.00621.x.
- Johansson D, Laursen F, Ferno A, Fosseidengen JE, Klebert P, Stein LH, Vagseth T, Oppedal F. The interaction between water currents and salmon swimming behaviour in sea cages. Plos One. 2014;9:e97635. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0097635.
- Jorgensen T, Lokkeborg S, Ferno A, Hufthammer M. Walking speed and area utilization of red king crab (Paralithodes camtschaticus) introduced to the Baren Sea coastal ecosystem. Hydrobiologia. 2007;582:17-24. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-6237-7_3.
- Juell JE, Westerberg H. An ultrasonic telemetric system for automatic positioning of individual fish used to track Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) in a sea cage. Aquacult Eng. 1993;12:1-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/0144-8609(93)90023-5.
- Kim TH, Kim JO, Kim DA. Deformation of cage nets against current speed and optimal design weight of sinker. J Kor Soc Fish Tech. 2001a;37:45-51.
- Kim TH, Kim JO, Ryu CR. Dynamic motions of model fish cage systems under the conditions of waves and current. J Kor Soc Fish Tech. 2001b;34:43-50.
- Lader P, Dempster T, Fredheim A, Jensen O. Current induced net deformation in full-scale sea-cages for Atrantic salmon (Salmo salar). Aquacult Eng. 2008;38:53-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaeng.2007.11.001.
- Lee CW, Kim YB, Lee GH, Choe MY, Lee MK, Koo KY. Dynamic simulation of a fish cage system subjected to currents and waves. Ocean Eng. 2008;35:1522-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2008.06.009.
- Lee CW, Lee J, Park SB. Dynamic behavior and deformation analysis of the fish cage system using mass-spring model. China Ocean Eng. 2015;29:311-24. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13344-015-0022-2.
- Lee J, Hwang BK, Choe MY. Aquaculture design for healthier fish. Sea Technol. 2017;58:23-6.
- Miyamoto Y, Uchida K, Orii R, Wen Z, Shiode D, Kakihara T. Three-dimensional underwater shape measurement of tuna longline using ultrasonic positioning system and ORBCOMM buoy. Fish Sci. 2006;72:63-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2006.01117.x.
- Oppedal F, Dempster T, Stein LH. Environmental drivers of Atlantic salmon behavior in sea-cage: a review. Aquaculture. 2011;311:1-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2010. 11.020.
- Shinchi T, Kitazoe T, Nishimura H, Tabuse M, Azuma N, Aoki I. Fractal evaluation of fish school movements in simulations and real observations. Artificial Life and Robotics. 2002;6:36-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02481207.
- Tae JW, Shin HO. Acoustic analysis of volume variation in a bag-net within a setnet. Fish Res. 2006;80:263-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2006.03.030.
- Zhao YP, Wang XX, Decew J, Tsukrov I, Bai XD. Comparative study of two approaches to model the offshore fish cages. China Ocean Eng. 2015;29:-459, 472. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13344-015-0032-0.