- Volume 7 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Usefulness of Other Comprehensive Income for Predicting Future Earnings
- LEE, Joonil (School of Management, Kyung Hee University) ;
- LEE, Su Jeong (College of Business Administration, Inha University) ;
- CHOI, Sera (Department of Management, Korea National Open University) ;
- KIM, Seunghwan (Department of Business Administration, Catholic University of Korea)
- Received : 2020.02.20
- Accepted : 2020.03.31
- Published : 2020.05.30
This study investigates whether other comprehensive income (OCI) reported in the statement of comprehensive income (one of the main financial statements after the adoption of K-IFRS) predicts a firm's future performance. Using the quarterly data of Korean listed companies, we examine the association between OCI estimates and future earnings. First of all, we find that OCI is positively associated with earnings in both 1- and 2-quarter ahead, supporting the predictive value of OCI. When we break down OCI into its individual components, our results suggest that the net unrealized gains/losses on available-for-sale (AFS) investment securities are positively associated with future earnings, while the other components (e.g., net unrealized gains/losses on valuation of cash flow hedge derivatives) present insignificant results. In addition, we investigate whether the reliability in OCI estimates enhances the predictive value of OCI to predict future performance. We find that the predictive ability of OCI, in particular the net unrealized gains/losses on available-for-sale (AFS) investment securities, becomes more pronounced when firms are audited by the Big 4 audit firms. Overall, our study suggests that information content embedded in OCI can provide decision-useful information that is helpful for the prediction of future firm performance.
- Aboody, D., Barth, M. E., & Kasznik, R. (1999). Revaluations of fixed assets and future firm performance: Evidence from the UK. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 26(1-3), 149-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-4101(98)00040-8
- Agustina, N., & Pramana, S. (2019). The Impact of Development and Government Expenditure for Information and Communication Technology on Indonesian Economic Growth. Journal of Business Economics and Environmental Studies, 9(4), 5-13.
- Asgari, L., Salehi, M., & Mohammadi, A. (2014). Incremental Information Content of Cash Flow and Earnings in the Iranian Capital Market. Journal of Industrial Distribution & Business, 5(1), 5-9.
- Becker, C., DeFond M., Jiambalvo, J., & Subramanyam, K. (1998). The effects of audit quality on earnings management. Contemporary Accounting Research, 15(1), 1-24. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1911-3846.1998.tb00547.x
- Biddle G., & Choi, J. (2006). Is Comprehensive Income Useful? Journal Contemporary Accounting & Economics, 2(1), 1-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1815-5669(10)70015-1
- Bratten, B., Causholli, M., & Khan, U. (2016). Usefulness of fair values for predicting banks’ future earnings: evidence from other comprehensive income and its components. Review of Accounting Studies, 21(1), 280-315. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11142-015-9346-7
- Campbell, J. (2015). The fair value of cash flow hedges, future profitability, and stock returns. Contemporary Accounting Research, 32(1), 243-279. https://doi.org/10.1111/1911-3846.12069
- Chae, S.-J, & Hwang, H.-J (2017). The effect of audit quality on crash risk: Focusing on distribution & service companies. Journal of Distribution Science, 15(8), 47-54.
- Chambers, D., Linsmeier, T. J., Shakespeare, C., & Sougiannis, T. (2007). An evaluation of SFAS No. 130 comprehensive income disclosures. Review of Accounting Studies, 12(4), 557-593. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11142-007-9043-2
- Chan, H., & Wu, D. (2011). Aggregate quasi rents and auditor independence: evidence from audit firm mergers in China. Contemporary Accounting Research, 28(1), 175-213. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1911-3846.2010.01046.x
- Chu, J., & Ki, E.-S. (2019). Do Auditor's Efforts of Interim Review Curb the Analyst Forecast's Walkdown? Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business, 6(2), 45-54. https://doi.org/10.13106/jafeb.2019.vol6.no2.45
- DeAngelo, L. (1981). Auditor independence, ‘low-balling’ and disclosure regulation. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 3(2), 113-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-4101(81)90009-4
- DeFond, M., Erkens, D. H., & Zhang, J. (2017). Do client characteristics really drive the Big N audit quality effect? New evidence from propensity score matching. Management Science, 63(11), 3628-3649. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.2016.2528
- Dhaliwal, D., Subramanyam, K. R., & Trezevant, R. (1999). Is comprehensive income superior to net income as a measure of firm performance? Journal of Accounting and Economics, 26(1-3), 43-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-4101(98)00033-0
- Evans, M. E., Hodder, L. D., & Hopkins, P. E. (2014). The predictive ability of fair values for future financial performance of commercial banks and the relation of predictive ability to banks’ share prices. Contemporary Accounting Research, 31(1), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1111/1911-3846.12077
- He, Y. (2018). A Study on the Impact of Artificial Intelligence Industry on Macroeconomy: Evidence from United States of America. Journal of Business Economics and Environmental Studies, 8(4), 37-44.
- Hirst, D., & Hopkins, P. (1998). Comprehensive income reporting and analysts’ valuation judgments. Journal of Accounting Research, 36(Supplement), 47-75. https://doi.org/10.2307/2491306
- Jones, D. A., & Smith, K. J. (2011). Comparing the value relevance, predictive value, and persistence of other comprehensive income and special items. The Accounting Review, 86(6), 2047-2073. https://doi.org/10.2308/accr-10133
- Khudadad, S., Tahir, M., & Jan, G. (2018). The Comparative Financial Performance of Outsourcing and Vertically Integrated Corporations. Journal of Business Economics and Environmental Studies, 8(3), 23-31.
- Kim, S.-S., & Lee, J.-H. (2017). Testing the liquidity hypothesis in the Korean retail firms. Journal of Distribution Science, 15(5), 29-38.
- Kim, J., Chung, R., & Firth, M. (2003). Auditor conservatism, asymmetric monitoring, and earnings management. Contemporary Accounting Research, 20(2), 323-359. https://doi.org/10.1506/J29K-MRUA-0APP-YJ6V
- Lennox, C., & Pittman, J. (2010). Big five audits and accounting fraud. Contemporary Accounting Research, 27(1), 209-247. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1911-3846.2010.01007.x
- Lim, S.-Y. (2019). The Effect of SG&A on Analyst Forecasts and the Case of Distribution Industries. Journal of Distribution Science, 17(10), 41-48.
- Maines, L. A., & McDaniel, L. S. (2000). Effects of comprehensive income characteristics on nonprofessional investors’ judgements: The role of financial statement presentation format. The Accounting Review, 75(2), 179-207. https://doi.org/10.2308/accr.2000.75.2.179
- Makar, S., Wang, L., & Alam, P. (2013). The mixed attribute model in SFAS 133 cash flow hedge accounting: Implications for market pricing. Review of Accounting Studies, 18(1), 66-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11142-012-9201-z
- Mohammadi, S., & Esmaeilioghaz, H. (2017). A Study of the Impact of Accounting Information Quality and Information Asymmetry on Underinvestment in Iran. Journal of Industrial Distribution & Business, 8(1), 33-39.
- Muhammad, H., Rehman, A. U., & Waqas, M. (2016). The Effect of Corporate Governance Practices on Firm Performance: Evidence from Pakistan. Journal of Business Economics and Environmental Studies, 6(1), 5-12.
- Muhammad, H., Shah, B., & Islam, Z. U. (2014). The Impact of Capital Structure on Firm Performance: Evidence from Pakistan. Journal of Industrial Distribution & Business, 5(2), 13-20.
- Mukherjee, T., & Sen, S. S. (2019). Intellectual Capital and Corporate Sustainable Growth: The Indian Evidence. Journal of Business Economics and Environmental Studies, 9(2), 5-15.
- Nam, H.-J. (2019). The Effect of Earnings Quality on Financial Analysts' Dividend Forecast Accuracy: Evidence from Korea. Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business, 6(4), 91-98. https://doi.org/10.13106/jafeb.2019.vol6.no4.91
- Noh, G.-K, & Kim, D.-I. (2015). The impact of K-IFRS on accounting conservatism: Focus on distribution companies. Journal of Distribution Science, 13(9), 95-101.
- Oh, K.-W., & KI, E.-S. (2020). Effect of Tax-Related Information on Pre-Tax Income Forecast and Value Relevance. Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business, 7(1), 81-90. https://doi.org/10.13106/jafeb.2020.vol7.no1.81
- Ohlson, J. A. (1999). On transitory earnings. Review of Accounting Studies, 4(3-4), 145-162. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1009653114699
- Park, M. S., Park, T., & Ro, B. T. (1999). Fair value disclosures for investment securities and bank equity: Evidence from SFAS No. 115. Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance, 14(3), 347-370. https://doi.org/10.1177/0148558X9901400311
- Shirzad, A., Mohammadi, S., & Haghighi, R. (2015). Effect of Financial Performance on Earnings Management in the Drug Distribution Industry. Journal of Industrial Distribution & Business, 6(4), 23-26. https://doi.org/10.13106/ijidb.2015.vol6.no4.23.
- Skinner, D. (1999). How well does net income measure firm performance? A discussion of two studies. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 26(1-3), 105-1. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-4101(99)00005-1