- Volume 34 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of the Reporting and Methodological Quality of the Systematic Review from the Journal of Pediatrics of Korean Medicine
대한한방소아과학회지에 게재된 체계적 문헌고찰의 보고 질 및 방법론적 질 평가
- Shim, Soo Bo (Department of Pediatrics, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Lee, Ju Ah (Hwa-pyeong Institute of Integrative Medicine) ;
- Lee, Hye Lim (Department of Pediatrics, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University)
- Received : 2020.01.16
- Accepted : 2020.02.10
- Published : 2020.02.29
Objectives The purpose of this study is to assess the reporting quality and methodological quality of systematic reviews from the Journal of Pediatrics of Korean Medicine. Methods Systematic reviews were selected from the Journal of Pediatrics of Korean Medicine (JPKM) by utilizing Oriental Medicine Advanced Searching Integrated System (OASIS) and JPKM homepage. Two independent researchers assessed the reporting quality through Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses (PRISMA) guideline checklist, and assessed the methodological quality of systematic review through Assessment of Multiple Systematic Reviews (AMSTAR) 2 tool checklist. Results Four systematic reviews were finally selected for the assessment. When assessed by PRISMA, three literatures were little insufficient, and one literature was sufficient. When assessed by AMSTAR 2, three literatures were moderate quality, and one literature was critically low quality. Also, all of the reviews had no information about 'Protocol and registration', 'publication bias', and 'conflicts of interest'. Conclusions Systematic review is important for Journal of Pediatrics of Korean Medicine and Korean Medicine Society. Efforts are needed to improve the reporting and methodological quality of the systematic reviews through PRISMA and AMSTAR 2.
- Cumpston M, Li T, Page MJ, lChandler J, Welch VA, Higgins JP, Thomas J. Updated guidance for trusted systematic reviews: a new edition of the cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019;10:ED000142.
- Kim KH, Nam DW, Kang JW, Lee JD, Choi DY. Acupuncture for rehabilitation in patients with traffic accident in south korea: a systematic review. J Acupunct Res. 2010;27.
- Pussegoda K, Turner L, Garritty C, Mayhew A, Skidmore B, Stevens A, Boutron I, Sarkis-Onofre R, Bjerre LM, Hrobjartsson A, Altman DG, Moher D.Systematic review adherence to methodological or reporting quality. Syst Rev. 2017;6(1):131. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13643-017-0527-2
- Moher D, Cook DJ, Eastwood S, Olkin I, Rennie D, Stroup DF. Improving the quality of reports of metaanalyses of randomised controlled trials: the quorom statement. quality of reporting of meta-analysis. Lancet. 1999;354:1896-900. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(99)04149-5
- Oxman AD, Guyatt GH, Singer J, Goldsmith CH, Hutchison BG, Milner RA, Streiner DL. Agreement among reviewers of review articles. J Clin Epidemiol. 1991;44:91-8.
- Stroup DF, Berlin JA, Morton SC,Olkin I, Williamson GD, Rennie D, Moher D, Becker CJ, Sipe TA, Thacker SB. Meta-Analysis of observational studies in epidemiology; a proposal for reporting. JAMA. 2008;283:2008-12.
- Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the prisma statement. J Clin Epidemiol. 2009;62:1006-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2009.06.005
- Shea BJ, Grimshaw JM, Wells GA, Boers M, Andersson N, Hamel C, Porter AC, Tugwell P, Moher D, Bouter LM. Development of amstar: a measurement tool to assess the methodological quality of systematic reviews. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2007;7:10. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-7-10
- Song EH, Jun JH, Lee MS, Ang L, Kim KH, Park SJ. SPKOM. Society of Preventive Korean Medicine. 2019;23(2):67-76. https://doi.org/10.25153/spkom.2019.23.2.006
- Shea BJ, Hamel C, Wells GA, Bouter LM, Kristjansson E, Grimshaw J, Henry DA, Boers M. Amstar is a reliable and valid measurement tool to assess the methodological quality of systematic reviews. J Clin Epidemiol. 2009;62(10):1013-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2008.10.009
- Shea BJ, Reeves BC, Wells G, Thuku M, Hamel C, Moran J, Moher D, Tugwell P, Welch V, Kristjansson E, Henry D. Amstar 2: A critical appraisal tool for systematic reviews that include randomised or non-randomised studies of healthcare interventions, or both. BMJ. 2017;358:j4008.
- Kim YY, Hyun HS. A quality assessment of systematic review of oriental medicine in south korea. J Digit Converg. 2015;13(10):549-59.
- Ge L, Tian J. A prisma assessment of the reporting quality of systematic reviews or meta-analysis of interventions on diabetic nephropathy. Abstracts of the 21st Cochrane Colloquium; Quebec City, Canada: John Wiley & Sons; 2013.
- Moher D, Shamseer L, Clarke M, Ghersi D, Liberati A, Petticrew M, Shekelle P, Stewart LA. Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (Prisma-P) 2015 statement. Syst Rev. 2015;4.
- Chang SJ, Kim JH, Min SY. A pubmed literature study of korean medicine treatment (acupuncture) in irritable bowel syndrome. J Pediatr Korean Med. 2018;32:119-30.
- Chang SJ, Kim JH, Min SY. Effectiveness of neurofeedback therapy in attention deficit/hyperactivity disorders. J Pediatr Korean Med. 2019;33:69-83.
- Doh TY, Lee SH, Lee JY, Chang GT. Review of pathogenesis, pattern differentiation, treatment principle, formula of traditional chinese medicine for autism spectrum disorder. J Pediatr Korean Med. 2018;32:11-25.
- Kim MY, Jeong JM. Literature review of clinical studies for herbal medicine treatment on juvenile idiopathic arthritis (Jia). J Pediatr Korean Med. 2018;32:24-41.
- Park BC, Kim HY, Kim KB, Cheon JH. Review of clinical studies of herbal medicine retention enema for pediatric diarrhea in chinese medicine. J Pediatr Korean Med. 2019;33:47-59.
- 김경선, 이진용, 이재원, 정규만. 백일해(百日咳)에 관한 동서의학적 문헌 고찰. J Pediatr Korean Med. 1992;6:45-54.
- Kim MY, Kang JI, Jeong JM. Efficacy of combination treatment of herbal medicine and western medicine for the treatment of type 1 diabetes in children : systemic review and meta-analysis. J Pediatr Korean Med. 2019;33:15-29.
- Kim HJ, Kim HH, Jeon CH, Roh MY, Han YJ, Leem JT. Systematic review of short stature and growth related qualitative researches. J Pediatr Korean Med. 2019;33:74-88.
- Lee JE, Jeong SY, Choi YM, Jeong JM. Acupuncture for the treatment of burns: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials and case controlled trials. J Pediatr Korean Med. 2017;31:19-30.
- Lee KJ, Jeong JM. Systematic review of acupuncture treatment for tic disorder. J Pediatr Korean Med. 2017;31:14-24.
- McAlister FA, Clark HD, Walraven Cv, Straus SE, Lawson FM, Moher D, Mulrow CD. The medical review article revisited: has the science improved?. Ann Intern Med. 1999;131:947-51. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-131-12-199912210-00007
- Simpson, S. RJ, Pearson K. Report on certain enteric fever inoculation statistics. BMJ. 1904:1243-6.
- Ahn HS, Kim HJ. An introduction to systematic review. J Korean Med Assoc. 2014;57(1).
- Sampson MR, Benjamin DK, Cohen-Wolkowiez M. Evidence-based guidelines for pediatric clinical trials: focus on star child health. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2012;5(5):525-31. https://doi.org/10.1586/ecp.12.52
- Booth A, Clarke M, Dooley G, Ghersi D, Moher D, Petticrew M, Stewart L. The nuts and bolts of prospero: an international prospective register of systematic reviews. Syst Rev. 2012;1(2).
- Lee HS, Cha SJ, Park HJ, Seo JC, Park JBJ, Lee HJ. Revised standards for reporting interventions in clinical trials of acupuncture(stricta):extending the consort statement. Korean J Acupunct. 2010;27:1-23.
- Matjasko JL, Vivolo-Kantor AM, Massetti GM, Holland KM, Holt MK, Cruz JD. A systematic meta-review of evaluations of youth violence prevention programs: common and divergent findings from 25 years of meta-analyses and systematic reviews. Aggress Violent Behav. 2012;17(6):540-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avb.2012.06.006
- Ahmed I, Sutton AJ, Riley RD. Assessment of publication bias, selection bias, and unavailable data in meta-analyses ssing individual participant data: a database survey. BMJ. 2012;344:d7762. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d7762
- Sutton AJ, Song F, Gilbody SM, Abrams KR. Modelling publication bias in meta-analysis: a review. Stat Methods Med Res. 2000;9(5):421-45. https://doi.org/10.1177/096228020000900503
- Kim SY, Park JE, Seo HJ, Lee YJ, Jang BH, Son HJ, Suh HS, Shin CM. Neca's guidance for undertaking systematic reviews and meta-analyses for intervention. Seoul: National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency; 2011.
- Lee HL, Kim JH, LEE MS, Lee JA. Evaluation of the quality of the case reports from the journal of pediatrics of korean medicine based on the care guidelines. J Pediatr Korean Med. 2018;32:131-40.