- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Eight new species of two genera Dysidea and Euryspongia (Demospongiae: Dictyoceratida: Dysideidae) from Korea
- Kim, Young A (Natural History Museum, Hannam University) ;
- Lee, Kyung Jin (National Institute of Biological Resources) ;
- Sim, Chung Ja (Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Hannam University)
- Received : 2019.10.02
- Accepted : 2019.11.14
- Published : 2020.02.29
Eight new species of two genera Dysidea and Euryspongia (Demospongiae: Dictyoceratida: Dysideidae) are described from Gageodo, Ulleungdo, Geomundo, and Jejudo Islands, Korea. Four new species of the genus Dysidea are differentiated by the fibre structure, cored detritus, and fibre arrangement. Dysidea mureungensis n. sp. is characterized by the honeycomb shape of surface and no distinction between primary and secondary fibres. Dysidea glavea n. sp. differs by large sands cored in fibres and that the membrane easily separates from fibres. Dysidea geomunensis n. sp. has fibres that are thinner than those of D. glavea n. sp.. Dysidea corallina n. sp. is characterized by folded fan shape and the arrangement of secondary fibres. Four new species of the genus Euryspongia are differentiated by the fibre structure, cored detritus, shape of sponge, and fibre arrangement. Euryspongia radicula n. sp. is very different from other species by having regularly arranged fibres. Euryspongia spina n. sp. has a fence-like skeletal structure. Bridged type secondary fibres are arranged near the surface and web types are at the base of fibres. Euryspongia flabellum n. sp. has a very unique wide, thin leaf-like shape. String-like primary fibres of E. linea n. sp. are very unique and cored with large sized sands.
- Bergquist, P.R. 1961. The Keratosa (Porifera) collected by the Chatham Islands 1954 Expedition. New Zealand Department of Scientific and Industrial Research Bulletin (New Zealand Oceanographic Institute Memoir 13) 139(5):207-219.
- Bergquist, P.R. 1965. The sponges of Micronesia, Part I. The Palau Archipelago. Pacific Sciences 19:123-204.
- Bergquist, P.R. 1980. A revision of the supraspecific classification of the orders Dictyoceratida, Dendroceratida and Verongida (class Demospongiae). New Zealand Journal of Zoology 7:443-503. https://doi.org/10.1080/03014223.1980.11760680
- Bergquist, P.R. 1995. Dictyoceratida, Dendroceratida and Verongida from the New Caledonia Lagoon (Porifera: Demospongiae). Memoirs of the Queensland Museum 38(1):1-51.
- Cook, S.DeC. and P.R. Bergquist. 2000. Two new genera and five new species of the ‘Cacospongia’ group (Porifera, Demospongiae, Dictyoceratida). Zoosystema 22(2):383-400.
- De Laubenfels, M.W. 1936. A discussion of the sponge fauna of the Dry Tortugas in Particular and the West Indies in general, with material for a revision of the families and orders ofthe Porifera. Carnegie Institute of Washington, Publication No. 467, 30:1-225.
- De Laubenfels, M.W. 1954. The sponges of the West-Central Pacific. Oregon State Monographs. Studies in Zoology 7:1-10, 1-306.
- Hoshino, T. 1985. Dysidea minna sp. nov., a new dysideid demosponge from the Ryukyus. Galaxea. Publications of the Sesoko Marine Science Center University of the Ryukyus 4:49-52.
- Lee, K.J. and C.J. Sim. 2007a. Two new euryspongian sponges (Dictyoceratida: Dysideidae) from Korea. Korean Journal of Systematic Zoology 23(1):35-38. https://doi.org/10.5635/KJSZ.2007.23.1.035
- Lee, K.J. and C.J. Sim. 2007b. Four new species of dictyoceratid sponges (Demosponiae) from Korea. Integrative Biosciences 11:55-60. https://doi.org/10.1080/17386357.2007.9647316
- Lehnert, H. and W.M. Van Soest. 1999. More North Jamaican deep fore-reef sponges. Beaufortia 49(12):141-169.
- Lendenfeld, R.V. 1886. A monograph of the australian sponges. Part V. The Auleninae. Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales 10(3):282-325.
- Lendenfeld, R.V. 1889. A monograph of the horny sponges. Trubner and Co, London.
- Pulitzer-Finali. G. 1982. Some new or little-known sponges from the Great Barrier Reef of Australia. Bollettino dei Musei e degli Istituti Biologici dell'Universita di Genova 48-49:87-141.
- Vacelet, J., G. Bitar, S. Carteron, H. Zibrowius and T. Perez. 2007. Five new sponge species (Porifera: Demospongiae) of subtropical or tropical affinities from the coast of Lebanon (eastern Mediterranean). Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 87(6):1539-1552. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0025315407060687
- Van Soest, R.W.M., N. Boury-Esnault, J.N.A. Hooper, K. Rutzler, N.J. de Voogd, B. Alvarez, E. Hajdu, A.B. Pisera, R. Manconi, C. Schonberg, M. Klautau, B. Picton, M. Kelly, J. Vacelet, M. Dohrmann, M.C. Diaz, P. Cardenas, J.L. Carballo, P. Rios and R. Downey. 2019. World Porifera Database. Accessed at http://www.marinespecies.org/poriferaon 2019-07-17. doi:10.14284/359 https://doi.org/10.14284/359