- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Dentists' perception of the image and work performance of male dental hygienists
치과의사의 남자치과위생사에 대한 이미지 및 업무수행 관련 인식도
- Kim, Young-Ki (Department of Dental Hygiene, Kyung-Dong University) ;
- Um, Mi-Ran (Department of Dental Hygiene, Dae-Won University) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Mi (Department of Dental Hygiene, Kyung-Dong University)
- Received : 2019.08.21
- Accepted : 2020.01.15
- Published : 2020.02.28
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to improve awareness of male dental hygiene by investigating the dentists' perception of male dental hygienists' image and work performance in clinical practice. Methods: The participants were 102 dentists who agreed to participate in this study. They completed- a self-administered questionnaire survey available on a website. The questionnaire comprised 26 questions, with each item scored on a 5-point Likert scale. Results: The male dentists perceived that with an increase in the experience of male dental hygienists would be willing to pay more than for female dental hygienists. In the case of male dentists, male dental hygienists perceived that they would feel stressed in a women-centered work environment. Additionally, it was found that dentists who had experience working with Male dental hygienists responded more positively to work performance awareness than had no experience (p<0.05). Conclusions: Active employment of male dental hygienists in clinical practice, could positively change dentists' perception of male dental hygienists.
- Shin JH, Seo MH, Lee MI. Nursing jobs and gender in our age of convergence: Research on male nurses. Soc Dig Polic Manag 2016;14(3):287-97. https://doi.org/10.14400/jdc.2016.14.3.287
- Park YR. The adaptation process of male students in colleges of nursing. Korean J Fund Nur 2009;16(4):449-58.
- Mun SJ, Noh HJ, Jeon HS, Heo JE, Chung WG. A six-year study of relationship between academic performance in dental hygiene school and performance on the Korean dental hygiene licensing examination at Yonsei university. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14(3):332-41. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.332
- Korea Dental Health Policy Institute. Yearbook of Health and Welfare Statistics. Seoul: Korea Dental Health Policy Institute; 2014: 92.
- Korea Dental Health Policy Institute. Yearbook of Health and Welfare Statistics. Seoul: Korea Dental Health Policy Institute; 2016: 102.
- Kim YK, Choi MS. The influence of job stress of male and female dental hygienists on turnover intention. J Korean Aacd Dent Hyg 2017;19(2):67-78.
- Kim YK, Kwon HJ. The influence of job stress and job satisfaction on turnover intention for male dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2016;16(2):142-9. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.2.142 https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.2.142
- Youn MS. The study for nuse image and job recognition about male nurse of male students in nursing. Holis Heal Sci 2012;12(2):95-106.
- Ahn KH, Seo JM, Hwang SK. Content analysis of male hospital nurses' experiences. Korean J Adult Nurs 2009;21(6):652-65.
- Cho MK, Kim CG. The relationship among practice environment, organizational justice, and job satisfaction of male nurses. Korean J Occu Heal Nur 2016;25(3):177-87. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.3.177 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.3.177
- Faust CC. A qualitative study of male dental hygienists' experiences after graduation. J Dent Hyg 1999;73(3):141-8.
- Darr RE. Barriers to men entering undergraduate dental hygiene programs[Master's thesis]. Ohio: Univ. of Ohio, 2016.
- Ryu HG, Choi SS. Analysis an opinion of dentists and staff of dental clinic about image of dental hygienist. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009;9(1):113-23.
- Lee MR, Ji MG. Study on awareness and images of dental hygienists in some college students. J Korea Enter Indust Assoc 2015;9(2):211-8. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2015.06.9.2.211
- Wee H, Park YR, Song MS. High school boys' images of men as nurses. J Korean Acad Fund Nurs 2013;20(2):118-28. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.2.118 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.2.118
- Lee ES, Kwon HS, Lee YS. Factors affecting female nurse's image of male nurses. J Korean Acad Soc Home Care Nurs 2017;24(3):336-44.
- Kim IJ, Shim HW. Subjectivity on the job image of male nurse. J Korean Human Subjec 2016;32:69-87.
- Seong JS, Yeom EY. The types and characteristics of the male nurses perceived by female nurses: An application of Q-methodology. J Korea Acad-Indust Cooper Soc 2016;17(1):572-84. https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2016.17.1.572 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.1.572
- Thompson MN, Dahling JJ. Image theory and career aspirations: Indirect and interactive effects of status-related variables. J Vocat Behav 2010;77:21-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2010.02.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2010.02.001
- Kang HS, Kim SJ, Kim YN, Kim HJ, Kim HS, Park KJ, et al. Dental hygieology. 6th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2016: 23.
- Lee KH. Factors affection perception of dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2018;18(3):463-76. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.20180035
- Kim HS, Lee JS. Turnover experience of male nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs 2017;47(1):25. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2017.47.1.25 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2017.47.1.25
- Yun HJ. A study on the adaption process of experienced male nurses. J Mult Serv Conv Art, Hum, and Soc 2016;6(7):213-4. https://doi.org/10.14257/ajmahs.2016.07.15
- Son HM, Koh MH, Kim CM, Moon JH, Yi MS. The male nurses' experiences of adaptation in clinical setting. J Korean Acad Nurs 2003;33(1):17-25. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.1.17 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.1.17