- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Growth Environment and Management Status of Legally Protected Trees in Gwangju, Gyeonggi-do
경기도 광주시 보호수의 생육환경 및 관리실태 조사 연구
- Jun, HyungSoon (Department of Landscape Architecture, Sunchon National University)
- 전형순 (순천대학교 생명산업과학대학 산림자원.조경학부 조경전공)
- Received : 2020.02.17
- Accepted : 2020.03.26
- Published : 2020.04.30
This study was conducted to suggest a management plan for legally protected trees in Gwangju, Gyeonggi-do by examining their distribution and growth. A literature review and field survey of these trees were conducted to derive problems and usage plans, with a number of key results. Among the legally protected trees (77 species in total) in 74 locations within Gwangju, Gyeonggi-do, the growth status of 74 species (96.10%) was above average, indicating that most legally protected trees were growing without any issues. Despite the results, analysis of the function of these legally protected trees indicated that there was low diversity and utilization of these trees as only trees in 33.77% were used as resting places or pavilions while those in 66.23% were used for landscaping or other purposes. It was assumed that these legally protected trees and the areas surrounding them in Gwangju, Gyeonggi-do will be used as community spaces if the environment is improved. This includes converting these areas into small parks or resting places for residents. In addition, further research should be carried out to maintain good growth conditions for these legally protected trees in general and to explore various plans that allow utilization of the surrounding natural ecosystem, human environment, and cultural elements in order to enhance the quality of the region and improve it as a living space for residents.
- Kim, H. J., Park, D. J., Lee, J. S., 2008, A Study on the scientific conservation methods of the old and large trees(I). Journal of Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture, 26(3), 108-114.
- Kim, S. H., Kim, S. H., 1996, A Study on old trees as they relate to the organization of space in Pusan -Attaching importance to the growth environment and arrangement form in space-. Journal of Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture, 62(2), 86-98.
- Lee, J. K., Lee, Y. Y., Seo, J. Y., Na, M. H., 2009, A Study on the improvement of environment through the analysis of rearing status of law-protected trees -with Focus on law-protected trees in Hwasung city-. Journal of Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture, 27(3), 93-102.
- Lee, J. K., Lee, J. B., Doo, C. E., 2012, A Study on growth condition and management of protected trees in Kimpo. Journal of Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture, 30(1), 125-134.
- Lim, D. O., Chekar, E. K., 2011, Distribution and growth status of legally protected old and big trees in Gwangju, Korea. Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology, 25(5), 736-746.
- Park, K. H., You, J. H., Lee, Y. H., 2011, Diagnosis of real condition and distribution of protected trees in Changwon-si Korea. Journal of Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture, 29(1), 59-70.
- Shin, J. H., Kang, B. H., Son, J. K., Ann, P. G., 2011, The study on the image evaluation of a preserved tree as growth environment -Focused on the Zelkova serrata in yesangun-. Journal of Korean Society of Rural Planning, 17(2), 33-41. https://doi.org/10.7851/ksrp.2011.17.2.033