- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Pedestrian Crosswalk Design based on the Assessment of Driver Recognition
운전자 인지특성 분석을 통한 횡단보도 디자인 연구
- Lee, Juyoung (Department of Landscape Architecture, Hankyong National University)
- 이주영 (국립한경대학교 조경학과)
- Received : 2020.02.04
- Accepted : 2020.03.03
- Published : 2020.04.30
With the increasing role of environmental design in promoting urban safety, new design attempts have been made to improve pedestrian safety in crosswalks. This study proposes an evidence-based design solution for improving crosswalk function by conducting simulations and field experiments. Drivers with more than one-year driving experience participated in this study. Four different crosswalk design patterns were prepared: (1) a zebra pattern, (2) zebra pattern with colored triangles, (3) 3D pattern, and (4) art pattern with unique colors and design. The results supported that the zebra pattern with colored triangles could be the most effective solution for crosswalk design by increasing visibility, attention, deceleration, and landscape aesthetics. This study provided objective data to support the performance of various crosswalk patterns and suggested the need to reevaluate the present crosswalk design guidelines.
- Alhajyaseen, W. K. M., Nakamura, H., 2012, Design criteria for crosswalk width and position at signalized intersections, J. Civ. Eng. Archit., 6(6), 844-857.
- Cho, J., 2011, A Study on road signs design for the vehicle driver safety, J. Digi. Design, 11(1), 813-822. https://doi.org/10.17280/jdd.2011.11.1.076
- Evaluation of 3D crosswalks design, in: Rebelo, F., Soares, M. M. (eds.), Advances in ergonomics in design, Springer International Publishing, Cham, Switzerland.
- Garder, P. E., 2004, The impact of speed and other variables on pedestrian safety in Maine. Accid. Anal. Prev., 36, 533-542. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-4575(03)00059-9
- Guo, Y., Liu, P., Liang, Q., Wang, W., 2016, Effects of parallelogram-shaped pavement markings on vehicle speed and safety of pedestrian crosswalks on urban roads in China. Accid. Anal. Preven., 95, 438-447. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2015.07.001
- Ha, T. J., Park, J. J., Lee, H. M., 2003, Development of design criteria for crosswalks at signalized intersections, J. Kor. Soc. Transport., 21(4), 47-56.
- Jeon, Y. D., 2010, A Study on expression methods of crosswalk indication line, Kor. Soc. Illust. Res., 22, 45-54.
- Jung, D., Lee, D., Jun, J., Han, D., 2017, Analysis of effects of scrambled crosswalk installation depending on the types of intersections using VISSIM, Int. J. Highw. Eng., 19(3), 71-81. https://doi.org/10.7855/IJHE.2017.19.3.071
- Kim, E., Kim, N. S., 2013, Service design for road environment of school zone applied with behavioral psychology, J. Kor. Content. Assoc. 13(8), 128-140. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.08.128
- Kim, Y., Park, J., Kwon, S., Ha, T., 2016, Estimating the dimension of a crosswalk in urban area-Focusing on width and stop line, J. Kor. Soc. Civ. Eng., 36(5), 847-856. https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2016.36.5.0847
- McGrane, A., Mitman, M., 2013, An Overview and recommendations of high-visibility crosswalk marking styles, Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center, North Carolina, Washington, DC, USA.
- Oh, S. J., 2019, Study on installation criteria of mid-block crosswalk, Ph. D. Dissertation, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea.
- Park, J. H., 2013, A Study on driver's gaze area in variable road characteristics, Ph. D. Dissertation, Gachon University, Seongnam, Korea.
- Park, W. K., Kim, H. J., Park, J. K., 2009, A Study on the visibility and legibility of traffic safety signs - to the complexity of road environments, shape and contents of traffic safety signs, J. Integ. Design Res., 8(1), 97-112.
- Rebelo, F., Cerqueira, D., Freixinho, I., Noriega, P., 2019,
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, 2018, Guidelines on crosswalk installation and management. Sejong, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (in Korean)
- Road Traffic Authority, 1998, A study on Installation criteria of crosswalk, Road Traffic Authority, Seoul, Korea(in Korean)
- Road Traffic Authority, 2020, Traffic statistics information https://www.koroad.or.kr/kp_web/accGlossary.do.
- Song, M. J., Lee, S. E., 2011, Development plan for the road sign design in Korea based on the comparative analysis between Korea and overseas, J. Kor. Soc. Design Cult., 17(4), 222-232.
- US Department of Transportation, 2001, Pedestrian cross-walk case studies, US Department of Transportation, McLean VA, USA.
- US Department of Transportation, 2015, Investigation of crosswalk design and driver behaviors, US Department of Transportation, Washington, DC, USA.
- Wang, T., Jiang, X., Wang, W., Cheng, Q., 2016, Analysis of vehicle speed change at non-signalized crosswalks based on driving behavior, Proc. Eng., 137, 547-553. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2016.01.291