- Volume 30 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Probabilistic and spectral modelling of dynamic wind effects of quayside container cranes
- Su, Ning (Key Laboratory of Environmental Protection in Water Transport Engineering, Tianjin Research Institute for Water Transport Engineering, China Ministry of Transport) ;
- Peng, Shitao (Key Laboratory of Environmental Protection in Water Transport Engineering, Tianjin Research Institute for Water Transport Engineering, China Ministry of Transport) ;
- Hong, Ningning (Key Laboratory of Environmental Protection in Water Transport Engineering, Tianjin Research Institute for Water Transport Engineering, China Ministry of Transport) ;
- Wu, Xiaotong (Key Laboratory of Environmental Protection in Water Transport Engineering, Tianjin Research Institute for Water Transport Engineering, China Ministry of Transport) ;
- Chen, Yunyue (Key Laboratory of Environmental Protection in Water Transport Engineering, Tianjin Research Institute for Water Transport Engineering, China Ministry of Transport)
- Received : 2019.01.29
- Accepted : 2019.05.09
- Published : 2020.04.25
Quayside container cranes are important delivery machineries located in the most frontiers of container terminals, where strong wind attacks happen occasionally. Since the previous researches on quayside container cranes mainly focused on the mean wind load and static response characteristics, the fluctuating wind load and dynamic response characteristics require further investigations. In the present study, the aerodynamic wind loads on quayside container cranes were obtained from wind tunnel tests. The probabilistic and spectral models of the fluctuating aerodynamic loads were established. Then the joint probabilistic distributions of dynamic wind-induced responses were derived theoretically based on a series of Gaussian and independent assumption of resonant components. Finally, the results were validated by time domain analysis using wind tunnel data. It is concluded that the assumptions are acceptable. And the presented approach can estimate peak dynamic sliding force, overturning moments and leg uplifts of quayside container cranes effectively and efficiently.
Supported by : Tianjin Municipal Natural Science Foundation, Central Public Welfare Research Institutes
- Au, S.K., Zhang, F.L. and To, P. (2012), "Field observations on modal properties of two tall buildings under strong wind", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 101, 12-23, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2011.12.002. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2011.12.002
- Butterworth, S. (1930), "On the theory of filter amplifiers", Wireless Engineer, 7(6), 536-541.
- Chinese Standards. (2012), Load Code for the Design of Building Structures, GB 50009, Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press.
- Cui, W. and Caracoglia, L. (2016), "Physics-based method for the removal of spurious resonant frequencies in high-frequency force balance tests", J. Struct. Eng., 142(2), 04015129. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)st.1943-541x.0001414. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001414
- Davenport, A.G. (1995), "How can we simplify and generalize wind loads?", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 54(94), 657-669. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)00079-S.
- Ding, J. and Chen, X. (2014), "Assessment of methods for extreme value analysis of non-gaussian wind effects with short-term time history samples", Eng. Struct., 80, 75-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.08.041. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.08.041
- Gu, M., Huang, P. and Wang, Y.J. (2008), "Numerical simulation of mean wind loads on a container crane and its comparison with experimental results", J. Tongji Univ., 36(8), 1024-1027. https://doi.org/10.3321/j.issn:0253-374X.2008.08.003
- Han, D.S. and Han, G.J. (2011), "Force coefficient at each support point of a container crane according to the wind direction", Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., 12(6), 1059-1064. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-011-0141-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-011-0141-5
- Huang, P., Wang, Y.J. and Gu, M. (2007), "Experimental research on mean wind loads of a quayside container crane", J. Tongji Univ. 35(10), 1384-1389. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1672-6529(07)60007-9. https://doi.org/10.3321/j.issn:0253-374X.2007.10.018
- Kang, J.H. and Lee, S.J. (2008), "Experimental study of wind load on a container crane located in a uniform flow and atmospheric boundary layers", Eng. Struct., 30(7), 1913-1921. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.12.013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.12.013
- Lee, S.J. and Kang, J.H. (2008), "Wind load on a container crane located in atmospheric boundary layers", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 96(2), 193-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2007.04.003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2007.04.003
- Lin, J.H., Zhang Y.H. and Zhao, Y. (2011), "Pseudo excitation method and some recent developments", Proc. Eng., 14, 2453-2458. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.07.308. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.07.308
- Lin, J.H., Zhang, W.S. and Li, J.J. (1994), "Structural responses to arbitrarily coherent stationary random excitations", Comput. Struct., 50(5), 629-633. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(94)90422-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(94)90422-7
- McCarthy, P. and Vazifdar, F. (2004), "Securing cranes for storm wind: uncertainties and recommendations", In Ports 2004: Port Development in the Changing World, Houston, U.S.A.
- McCarthy, P., Jordan, M., Lee, K. and Werner, S. (2007), "Increasing hurricane winds dockside crane retrofit recommendations", ASCE Ports 2007 conference, San Diego. U.S.A.
- McCarthy, P., Soderberg, E. and Dix, A. (2009), "Wind damage to dockside cranes: recent failures and recommendations", TCLEE 2009 Conference, Oakland, U.S.A.
- McNeill, S.I. (2011), "An analytic formulation for blind modal identification", J. Vib. Control, 18(14), 2111-2121. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546311429146. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546311429146
- Nagarajaiah, S. and Yang, Y. (2015), "Blind modal identification of output only non-proportionally -damped structures by time-frequency complex independent component analysis", Smart Struct. Syst., 15(1), 81-97. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2015.15.1.081. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2015.15.1.081
- Qingdao Port. (2018), Qingdao Port Resumed Normal Production after a Wind Gust Accident. http://www.chineseport.cn/bencandy.php?fid=49&id=274151.
- Soderberg, E., Hsieh, J. and Dix, A. (2009), "Seismic guidelines for container cranes", TCLEE 2009 Conference, Oakland, U.S.A.
- Sourav, G. and Samit R.C. (2014), "Vulnerability assessment of container cranes under stochastic wind loading", Struct. Infrastruct. Eng., 10(12), 1511-1530. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2013.834943. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2013.834943
- Spanos, P.D., Sun, Y. and Su, N. (2017), "Advantages of filter approaches for the determination of wind-induced response of large-span roof structures", J. Eng. Mech., 143(9), 04017066. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0001261. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0001261
- Su, N., Cao, Z. and Wu, Y. (2018), "Fast frequency-domain algorithm for estimating the dynamic wind-induced response of large-span roofs based on cauchy's residue theorem", Int. J. Struct, Stab. Dyn., 18(2), 1850037. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219455418500372. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219455418500372
- Su, N., Sun, Y., Wu, Y. and Shen, S. (2016). "Three-parameter auto-spectral model of wind pressure for wind-induced response analysis on large-span roofs", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 158, 139-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2016.09.013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2016.09.013
- Sun, Z., Hou, N. and Xiang, H. (2009), "Safety and serviceability assessment for high-rise tower crane to turbulent winds", Front. Archit. Civ. Eng. China, 3(1), 18-24. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11709-009-0009-2. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11709-009-0009-2
- Takahashi, K., Abe, M. and Fujino, T. (2016), "Runaway characteristics of gantry cranes for container handling by wind gust", Mech. Eng. J., 3(2), 15-00679, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1299/mej.15-00679. https://doi.org/10.1299/mej.15-00679
- Xu, A., Xie, Z., Gu, M. and Wu, J. (2015), "A new method for dynamic parameters identification of a model-balance system in high-frequency force-balance wind tunnel tests", J. Vib. Eng., 17(5), 2609-2623. https://www.jvejournals.com/article/15900/pdf.
- Xu, Y.L., Zhang, W.S., Ko, J.M. and Lin, J.H. (1999), "Pseudo-excitation method for vibration analysis of wind-excited structures", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 83(1-3), 443-454. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(99)00092-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(99)00092-6
- Zhang, L.L., Xie, Z.N. and Yu, X.F. (2018), "Method for decoupling and correction of dynamical signals in high-frequency force balance tests", J. Struct. Eng., 144(12), 04018216. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0002205. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0002205